Windows 10: If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop?

Discus and support If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I save all my files to OneDrive but I used to have a sync backup to my pc/laptop. Is this still available or is it best to just save my onedrive to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael_Klein, May 7, 2021.

1. If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop?

I save all my files to OneDrive but I used to have a sync backup to my pc/laptop. Is this still available or is it best to just save my onedrive to a hard drive that is connected by a USB?

:)

Michael_Klein, May 7, 2021
  2. kernrsn Win User

W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, May 7, 2021
  3. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop? [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, May 7, 2021
  4. If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop?

OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync

I have Windows 10.

I have Office365 with OneDrive (1TB cloud storage).

In OneDrive, you can select Desktop, Documents, and/or Pictures for automatic backup and sync.

In File Explorer, under "This PC," I also have folders for Videos and Music.

Why is there no selection in the OneDrive settings to backup these folders?

How can I automatically backup the Videos and Music folders, that are on my PC not my device, to OneDrive?

Person_260, May 7, 2021
Thema:

If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop?

1. If I save to OneDrive can I sync backup to my PC/laptop? - Similar Threads - save OneDrive sync

2. If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop...: I am new to OneDrive, so please forgive me if my question is quite stupid: If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop C:\Users, or completely moved to OneDrive?...
  3. If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop...: I am new to OneDrive, so please forgive me if my question is quite stupid: If I backup sync my files to OneDrive, will the files still available in my laptop C:\Users, or completely moved to OneDrive?...
  4. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?: Hi there,I am upgrading my SSD to a 1 terabyte ssd. Now since I am absolutely not tech savvy I want to make this process as easy as possible. I think I know how to disconnect my previous SSD and put in a new one. But asfalt as I remember I only have one cable for it. So my...
  5. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?: Hi there,I am upgrading my SSD to a 1 terabyte ssd. Now since I am absolutely not tech savvy I want to make this process as easy as possible. I think I know how to disconnect my previous SSD and put in a new one. But asfalt as I remember I only have one cable for it. So my...
  6. Can I backup my entire pc plus settings in OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  8. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  9. How can I get office to save files to my PC and not to Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I get office to save files to my PC and not to Onedrive?: I have Windows 10 and Home office student but everything is being saved to ondrive and I want everything to save to my PC and upload once a week to onedrive....
  10. OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync: I have Windows 10. I have Office365 with OneDrive 1TB cloud storage. In OneDrive, you can select Desktop, Documents, and/or Pictures for automatic backup and sync. In File Explorer, under "This PC," I also have folders for Videos and Music. Why is there no selection in...