Windows 10: If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...

Discus and support If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just encrypted a non-system hard drive (D drive) in my PC using Bitlocker. That drive is now protected by a password and i also got the recovery key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/verbotenh, Feb 8, 2020.

1. If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...

I just encrypted a non-system hard drive (D drive) in my PC using Bitlocker. That drive is now protected by a password and i also got the recovery key saved somewhere.

If i decide to decrypt the D drive, will i need to enter the password?

Because if it's not needed, then it kinda defeats the point of encrypting it. My goal is that if someone gets physical access to my PC (the system drive is NOT encrypted, for performance reasons), at least he wouldn't be able to access the D drive.

submitted by /u/verbotenh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/verbotenh, Feb 8, 2020
  2. sam9 Win User

How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM:

" Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating System Drives and double click on Require additional authentication at startup." and so on.

but I am confused because the above note is mentioning "Operating System Drives " wherein I want to turn on Bitlocker on Non System Drive.

Can we turn bitlocker "on" on Non System Drives without turning it "on" on System Drives and Can we turn it "on" on
    a Single Folder instead of Drive.

Please advise step by step.

sam9, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Maharaj Win User
    Turning on Bitlocker on non system drive without tpm without password

I need to turn on Bitlocker on all drives:

1) On C: I am able to turn on Bitlcoker with password and that is fine

2)On non system drive when I am turning on bitlocker it is asking me to provide password for each individual drive even after turning on autounlock

3)I want non system drives to automatically unlock once system drive is unlocked.

If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise... at9d6.png

I used

to enable auto unlock

Maharaj, Feb 8, 2020
  4. KSilerJr Win User

If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...

Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

Here is how I was able to get the system to prompt me for the BitLocker password each time I logged on.

My system has 2 drives one for the OS which is not encrypted with BitLocker and a DATA drive that is fully encrypted with BitLocker. What I wanted was for the system to prompt me for the password each time I booted the system and logged in. Here are the steps that allow this to happen.

1) Create a file in your Windows\System32 folder called UNLOCK.CMD using notepad with these lines in it
    @echo off & cls
    echo .
    manage-bde.exe -unlock -password D:

2) Create a Task Scheduler that uses the Trigger "At log on".
    On the General Tab make sure to check "Run wit highest privileges"
    Action "Start a Program"
    Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and select Unlock.CMD

3) Now Restart your system and a DOS window should popup asking for the password.

Hope this helps others.

KSilerJr, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...

1. If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise... - Similar Threads - turn off Bitlocker

2. Turn off password reset requirement on Surface Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off password reset requirement on Surface Laptop: My Surface Laptop requires me to change my password on a regular basis and won't let me reuse old passwords. I'm not logging into a network. It's a personal device I use for taking notes and writing papers at college. I want to always use the same password. I thought I found...
  3. How to turn off required password on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off required password on startup.: I logged into my Windows account on my computer in troubleshooting. Now its always asking for a password when I turn the computer on. I've switched back to the Local User, but the steps i've seen in...
  4. How to turn off required password on startup.

How to turn off required password on startup.: I logged into my Windows account on my computer in troubleshooting. Now its always asking for a password when I turn the computer on. I've switched back to the Local User, but the steps i've seen in...
  5. How to turn off required password on startup.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows 11 still requiring password even with requirement turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 still requiring password even with requirement turned off: My PC is still requiring a password to log in even though the setting "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" under netplwiz is unchecked. To be clear I don't want to enter a password every time I turn my system on, I want it just to go straight to...
  7. Windows 11 still requiring password even with requirement turned off

Windows 11 still requiring password even with requirement turned off: My PC is still requiring a password to log in even though the setting "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" under netplwiz is unchecked. To be clear I don't want to enter a password every time I turn my system on, I want it just to go straight to...
  8. need to turn off bitlocker, i don't remember password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to turn off bitlocker, i don't remember password: i have win 10, i can't disable bitlocker drive because i don't remember password and i can't use file recovery key because file recovery key on local drive please help me?...
  9. Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive: I am running Windows 10 Pro. I am using BitLocker on a non-system drive and not on my system drive. I am not planning on using it on my system drive. I do not have a TPM compatible computer. Once I log into Windows, I would like to be prompted for the password to unlock my...
  10. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker user friendly do not need to remember password