Windows 10: If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10)

Discus and support If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have seen similar issues posted but not this specific one... Brand new Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) Dell Desktop. Replaced old XP system (which ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adplusone, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Adplusone Win User

If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10)

Have seen similar issues posted but not this specific one...

Brand new Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) Dell Desktop.

Replaced old XP system (which ran like a swiss watch).

If I turn off the monitor (which I do every night as I need the computer on 24/7) when I turn it on all the desktop icons have moved back to the left.

This DOES NOT happen on a reboot or a shut the computer down and turn it on.

Medium icons, all power saving is turned off, auto arrange icons and align icons to grid are both unchecked.

I am not at all computer savvy...be gentle and help this old guy!

:)

Adplusone, Jan 7, 2016
  2. Adplusone Win User

SECOND UPDATE

Last night was the first night I ran monitor on sleep setting.

This morning (computer was NEVER off or sleeping - just the monitor) a bunch of icons (7-10) moved and were stacked on top of the recycle bin. There were not IN the bin...they were on top of the bin. And some icons did not move at all.

Adplusone, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Adplusone Win User

Tried something else.

Turned ON put monitor to sleep......after 5 minutes monitor went to sleep....turned back on by clicking mouse...the icons DID NOT MOVE at all.

The mystery thickens...

Adplusone, Jan 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Can I ask something for clarification? You say arrange to auto grid is turned off. What do you actually mean? There are two settings:
    • Auto arrange icons
    • Align icons to grid

Are both turned off or only one?

Thanks!

philc43, Jan 7, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Can I also check if you are using an HDMI cable to connect from your PC to your monitor? I have seen reports (unconfirmed) that turning on and off via an HDMI link is causing resolution switching which has the effect of rearranging icons. You could test for this by connecting with an alternative cable with a DVI connection.

philc43, Jan 7, 2016
  6. Adplusone Win User
    I think I used an HDMI...let me check when back in the office...will try another cable if so and let you know...thanks!

Adplusone, Jan 7, 2016
  7. dysert Win User
    I don't know how to fix your problem, but there is a nifty freeware tool that will remember where your icons were and restore them for you. Check out Download DesktopOK 4.21

dysert, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10) - Similar Threads - Turn Off Monitor

2. My game crashes and then my monitor turns off and then it turns back on and I restart my pc...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My game crashes and then my monitor turns off and then it turns back on and I restart my pc...: I played valorant and my pc turned of and game crashed and then I notice hertz is low and I check and I see 64hertz I try to change it and I cant see any other option to change my hertz orther than 64hertz. I restart my pc and I try to run any games and it wont work . I also...
  3. Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on..: Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whenever-i-press-the-left-alt-button-it-turns-off/166cbc64-914d-4253-9258-a4e4e9e3fd06
  4. Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on..: Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whenever-i-press-the-left-alt-button-it-turns-off/166cbc64-914d-4253-9258-a4e4e9e3fd06
  5. Whenever I press the left alt button it turns off my sound or turns it back on..

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  7. Turn off my laptop monitor and not turn it back on even if there is an input

Turn off my laptop monitor and not turn it back on even if there is an input: Hey guys im trying to play games by streaming them to another device(Steam link) and i would like to tun off my monitor while im doing so, but no matter what i try(Programs, Power options,Closing the lid) my monitor will always turn back on when i make an input, is there any...
  8. Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen

Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen: I was using 2x Acer B243PWL (1200p 60Hz) with DVI then switched to DP when I upgraded to a 980 Ti with dual DP out. No difference in window behaviour going from DVI to DP, or from the 770 to the 980 card. I have now upgraded to 2x ViewSonic VX2458-MHD (1080p 144Hz) using...
  9. Desktop Icons Moving After Computer Wakes or Monitor is Turned Back on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Moving After Computer Wakes or Monitor is Turned Back on: Hi all, Problem: Desktop Icons move back to the left (default) side of the screen after customizing. this happens when the the computer is put into sleep mode and is woken up or when the monitor is turned off and turned back on. I upgraded to windows 10 Pro 64bit from...
  10. Desktop icons move back to left after refreshinh

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons move back to left after refreshinh: I have given up trying to solve this problem. I move the icos to where I want them but as soon as I refresjh the Desktop they go to the left in an unordered fashion. Now, I want to go back to 8.1 but would like to know if I can migrate back to Windows 10 in the future when...