Windows 10: If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future...

Discus and support If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Or do I always need to install home first for using the upgrade key? submitted by /u/reach4thelaser5 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/reach4thelaser5, Sep 28, 2021.

1. If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future...

/u/reach4thelaser5, Sep 28, 2021

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 28, 2021
  3. spapakons Win User
    Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro?

If you suggest to simply click on "Change Product Key" and set a Pro key, it won't work! I've already tried that. You must click on "Go to store" and purchase the Pro key. This is to make sure that you have actually paid for the key and it is genuine. The upgrade process could be about 10-20 minutes, at least so it was to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate.

spapakons, Sep 28, 2021
  4. Remiscan Win User

If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future...

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key

I've got two laptops:
    • the old one, with Windows 10 Pro (1909) installed after a free update from Windows 8.1 Pro
    • the new one, with Windows 10 Home (1909) installed

I've got the Windows 8.1 Pro product key, and I want to transfer it to the new PC. Microsoft support tried to help me, but here's the conclusions we reached:

• I can't use the 8.1 Pro product key in the setting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro
    • I could use it if I had Windows 10 Pro installed instead of Home
    • I can't use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key to start the upgrade, because the new PC doesn't have a Pro licence
    • I could upgrade directly from Windows 10 Home to Pro if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key
    • I can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro and activate it later, because the installer (from the media creation tool) automatically understands that I have a Home licence and not a Pro licence, and doesn't let me choose

So, according to the support guy, my only option is to clean install Windows 10 Pro, and then it will recognize my Windows 8.1 Pro key and activate it.

It seems so weird to me that, having a valid Pro licence (in the form of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key), I can't directly upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. Like, I have the licence, it will only work if I enter it after the upgrade, but I can only start the upgrade after entering the licence ??

So here I am, asking if there's a workaround that would allow me to simply upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro without losing any files, programs or settings, just like if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 one.

Is there any way to convince the media creation tool or whatever else to download an iso/anything that would upgrade Home to Pro?

Whatever the answer is, thank you If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future... :)

EDIT: Okay so I had a weird idea and I have no idea if it would work, but basically: what if I clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro on another partition on the new PC, activated it to with the product key, updated it to Windows 10 Pro (is that still possible?)... Would that link a Windows 10 Pro licence to my Microsoft account as a digital licence for the new PC, that I could then use to upgrade the other partition to Pro for free through the Microsoft Store?

Remiscan, Sep 28, 2021
Thema:

If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future...

1. If I upgrade Home to Pro through store, will the key I get allow me to install in future... - Similar Threads - upgrade Home Pro

2. Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store: I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. It had a free upgrade to Windows 11 Home. I installed that last night and confirmed that it was installed through the settings page. Tonight, I upgraded from Windows 11 home to Windows 11 Pro through the...
  3. Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 home upgrade to Windows 11 Pro upgrade through the Microsoft store: I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. It had a free upgrade to Windows 11 Home. I installed that last night and confirmed that it was installed through the settings page. Tonight, I upgraded from Windows 11 home to Windows 11 Pro through the...
  4. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro through Microsoft store. I can't install it, it keeps...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro through Microsoft store. I can't install it, it keeps...: I bought an upgrade of Windows 10 Pro on Microsoft Store. When I click install it just keeps saying "Working on it..." and nothing happens after it. I've tried the troubleshoot and it didn't work....
  5. Will upgrading from Home to Pro get me a clean install? Can I still use Office 365 home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will upgrading from Home to Pro get me a clean install? Can I still use Office 365 home?: I would like to upgrade to Pro. I would also like to do a clean install. I would also like to continue using my 365 home family plan. If upgrading to pro doesn’t include a clean install should I clean install before or after updating? submitted by /u/PlazmaSnake417...
  6. Can't upgrade windows 10 home to pro with upgrade key I bought thought Amazon store

Can't upgrade windows 10 home to pro with upgrade key I bought thought Amazon store: Hi, I just got a new Dell XPS desktop with win 10 Home installed. I wanted to upgrade to win 10 pro. I bought upgrade key on Amazon:...
  7. I purchase the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store but it won't upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I purchase the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft Store but it won't upgrade: When I purchased my upgrade through the Microsoft Store, I clicked the Install button see directly below, Click that I have saved all files then get stuck on a screen that says Windows is "Getting things ready...." see second below. After many minutes of waiting nothing...
  8. Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key

Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key: Hello - I have a pre-installed Home version which I am looking to upgrade to a Pro version. I already have a key bought from elsewhere but the system does not take the key when I enter it as it is the key for a pro version. I would thus like to be able to install the Pro...
  9. Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade through Store but the installation gave me Enterprise,...

Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade through Store but the installation gave me Enterprise,...: I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store (my order history verifies this), but the procedure ended up putting Enterprise on the pc. Also, the machine will now not activate windows, saying I don't have a correct key or digital license. There is no way...
  10. Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key

Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key: I'm curious, I might have to try this on an extra partition... My computer is fully activated on Pro version. I've also done a clean install after the upgrade and activated immediately just fine. So, let's say I bungled and clean installed Windows 10 Home by mistake. Of...