Windows 10: If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

Discus and support If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by codebeastmode, Sep 24, 2018.

1. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over?

In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues with upgrading hardware back in the day, not sure how it works now.

Thanks in advance! *sarc

:)

codebeastmode, Sep 24, 2018

2. Licensing confusion after upgrading motherboard and CPU

I recently upgraded the motherboard and CPU in an OEM desktop. This OEM originally came with Windows 8.1, and was upgraded to Windows 10 upon its release last July.

I found out after my hardware purchase that, since I had an OEM copy of Windows, I would have to purchase a new license in order to reinstall Windows 10. On a whim, however, since I had previously obtained a copy of my OEM license key from the original motherboard's
    BIOS, I tried entering it in to validate Windows. Surprisingly, it worked.

My question is, did I somehow have a retail copy of Windows all along, which would have allowed me to transfer the license to a different PC, or am I in violation of Microsoft's EULA. If so, what should I do?

thetortuga747, Sep 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 won't re-activate digital licensed pc after motherboard and cpu change.

Hi,

digital license is valid only for unchanged hardware.

How did you get Windows 10?

If it was preinstalled you have no rights to use it after motherboard replacement.

Igor Leyko, Sep 24, 2018
  4. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

I cannot reactivate my Windows 10 digital license after hardware changes

I recently changed my motherboard and cpu and now Windows won't let me reactivate my digital license.

I says that I do not have a valid license (code 0x803FA067) even though I definitely do have a valid license since I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and also have my Microsoft account connected, like I was supposed to.

KrongfahMahankalarp, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

1. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid? - Similar Threads - upgrade motherboard CPU

2. Are my licenses valid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are my licenses valid?: Split from this thread. Hi, Quick question, I assembled 3 PCs and installed OEM Windows 10 PRO purchased from Authorized Microsoft Distributor. The problem is when I run ShowKeyPlus software the info of the installed Key is the same on all PCs. NF6HC-QH89W-F8WYV-WWXV4-WFG6PIs...
  3. Are my licenses valid?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are my licenses valid?: Split from this thread. Hi, Quick question, I assembled 3 PCs and installed OEM Windows 10 PRO purchased from Authorized Microsoft Distributor. The problem is when I run ShowKeyPlus software the info of the installed Key is the same on all PCs. NF6HC-QH89W-F8WYV-WWXV4-WFG6PIs...
  4. Are my licenses valid?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,: I going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu in the next week or so. with that being said I purchased this pc through a rental company and was not provided with a windows disk or product key. will I still be able to boot into windows with it being saved to my SSD/hard...
  6. upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrading both my motherboard and CPU,: I going to be upgrading my motherboard and cpu in the next week or so. with that being said I purchased this pc through a rental company and was not provided with a windows disk or product key. will I still be able to boot into windows with it being saved to my SSD/hard...
  7. Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu

Win 10 digital license and upgrading a motherboard with soldered cpu: Hi! I have a laptop which came with a Windows 8 digital license. So when upgrading to Windows 10 the activation went automatically. The motherboard have a soldered Core i5, but I would like to upgrade it to a Core i7. My issue becoming that I have to change it to a...
  8. I've upgraded my Motherboard and CPU

I've upgraded my Motherboard and CPU: Windows is currently telling me windows is not activating as it cant find my activation key within my PC, Storage is all the same like i said i've only upgraded my CPU and Motherboard and now I'm still running Windows 10 Pro but have this annoying activation thing...My...
  9. Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard: Hello, I am upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I use my computer for content creation and have a DAW digital audio workstation and Adobe creative cloud. Will I have to reinstall these programs and my plugins after the upgrade? This is my first upgrade that I am carrying out...
  10. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license: I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device...