Windows 10: If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?

Discus and support If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I upgrade to windows 10 from 7 will I get the dvd player free? How to play DVDs in Windows 10 for free | PCWorld If you are upgrading from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by groze, Apr 17, 2016.

1. groze Win User

If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?

If I upgrade to windows 10 from 7 will I get the dvd player free?

How to play DVDs in Windows 10 for free | PCWorld

I notice my system has Windows Media Center installed.

Does this software work ok?

:)

groze, Apr 17, 2016
  2. D.Gabriel Win User

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, from W7 Home

Hello, I have a question regarding the upgrade process from W7 Home to W10 Pro.

I bought my laptop in September 2012 and it came with W7 Home. After getting the laptop I proceeded to preorder W8 Pro. Once it was released I upgraded to it and shortly after, I upgraded to W8.1. Now due to various issues I would like to perform a system
    restore from the OEM partition back to W7 Home. My question is how could I then upgrade to W10 Pro? Would I have to initially upgrade to W8 Pro and then to W10, in order to get the Pro version? Or is there some way to get directly from W7 Home to W10 Pro without
    having to go through W8, given the fact that I have purchased W8 Pro at some point?

D.Gabriel, Apr 17, 2016
  3. Unable to play CD/DVD movie

** NEED HELP **..

Upgrading my laptop from W7 to W10, and now that I have done some presentations using PowerPoint from Office 2016 HOME and STUDENT, I made both a DVD and CD; however, NOT able to play them back.. I have W Media player, and Photo Viewer, but doesn't seem
    to work on my laptop. ANY SUGGESTIONS/SOLUTIONS!!

THANKS

Original title: PLAY CD/DVD MOVIE

Louis James, Apr 17, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Good question.
    I was of the impression that you had to have purchased the WMC pack in W8 to qualify but I could be wrong.
    Only one way to find out! *Wink

Just a note: In my experience, the DVD Player App is terrible, awful freezing and stuttering on many types of DVD's; really hit and miss!

Edwin, Apr 17, 2016
  5. eddiethc Win User
    i pretty sure the default player in windows 10 plays dvd's but in terms of media center there is no media center for windows 10 so if you paid for it on another os you will lose it but there are very good replacments free like Plex or kodi and if you just want a player that will support all formates with all the perks get VLC media player its free also

eddiethc, Apr 17, 2016
  6. I upgraded my Win 7 desktop to 10, and the DVD player plays games just fine.

Vince Massi, Apr 17, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Actually it does not as they do not have mpeg2 codecs by default.

cereberus, Apr 17, 2016
  8. eddiethc Win User

yea i use VLC player for everything solves all issues

eddiethc, Apr 17, 2016
  9. groze Win User
    I tried it and my system has Windows Media Center installed. Dvd player was not in windows update. So it doesn't work unless you have actually purchased windows media center or a pro pack, if windows media center is included by the OEM, it doesn't count.

VLC maybe illegal to play dvds in the U.S.

groze, Apr 17, 2016
  10. Still cannot get my head round MS brutally ripping out dvd playback. Another nasty side effect of this is standard MPEG files (that one may capture on a video camera - lots of our family videos affected as a result) no longer play natively or display a thumbnail in explorer. Double whammy. Workarounds suggested are VLC as mentioned and also using icaros to restore the thumbnail functionality. VLC works flawlessly with my dvds although I use Power DVD (which came bundled by the manufacturer) for playback - this also works flawlessly for dvd playback. Unfortunately I get the impression that modern app counterparts via the store like Windows DVD player don't work nearly as reliably. Another example is VLC, the normal desktop version is great but I downloaded the modern app counterpart first and it was pretty glitchy

Scottyboy99, Apr 17, 2016
  11. eddiethc Win User
    its ope
    hmm i dont think its illegal to use as a player in terms of popping in a dvd you bought weather it be a box copy or a digital download its open source freeware.Now with that said if your downloading torrents an you dont have the rights to the movie then yes thats illegal but thats up to the user who knows its on them

eddiethc, Apr 17, 2016
  12. How would it be legal, especially if you purchased the DVDs?
    Microsoft has always been stuck in a difficult place. If they add too much functionality, they get sued. If they don't add the functionality, customers complain. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DeaconFrost, Apr 18, 2016
  13. groze Win User

Please, excuse my grammar.

When you buy a dvd player at the store, you bought the rights to decode movies that you rent or buy using that dvd.

On a computer it works differently.

VlC play encoded dvd maybe illegal in the U.S. and Canada because it decodes them without paying a fee. Just search for watching dvd is illegal on Linux. This would also apply to windows 10 windows media player because Microsoft removed the feature that plays dvds. Using VLC with DVD codec on any system in the U.S. and Canada maybe illegal. I keep saying maybe because no one has be charged or convicted. However, the creator of libDVDcss was either arrested or detained but never charged.

groze, Apr 18, 2016
  14. eddiethc Win User
    yea i agree its very tricky in my opinion is if you paid for a movie you should be able to play it with any player you like also stream it anyway you like long as it is not to the public but thats my opinion the USA does make things hard for us here an i know VLC is made in france an goes by french laws but i doubt anyone is gonna bother people who play movies in the wrong code lol i think there more worried about the ones who steal movies threw torrents *chuckle

eddiethc, Apr 18, 2016
  15. Fafhrd Win User
    "'DVD Jon' Lech Johansen" was arrested, charged, tried in Norway and acquitted twice. Way back in 2002 -2003. He denied writing the decryption code in DeCSS, which was allegedly of German origin. Worked in USA from 2005, and iPhone, and other Apple devices have been targets of his activity over several years. SONY used his code in the DRM rootkit scandal. References to him are uncommon recently, since 2009. Perhaps he has been working for the FBI fighting international terrorism and Apple encryption *Smile

Microsoft removed the codecs (MPEG-2, Dolby Digital, etc.) because they (i.e.YOU as users) would have to pay a fee of several dollars per copy of Windows. The fee applied to the US, but not in Europe, but the codecs were made unavailable globally.

DVD is dying a natural death with online streaming and downloaded media, so this will become an unenforced legal curiosity - like Oliver Cromwell's decree outlawing Christmas Pudding.

The Bulletin - Google News Archive Search

Nice article on DVD Codecs and Microsoft here:

If VLC can ship a free DVD player, why can't Microsoft? | ZDNet

Fafhrd, Apr 18, 2016
Thema:

1. If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free? - Similar Threads - upgrade w10 home

2. Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?: I see the last posts in the upgrade forum were in 2020. Is the upgrade still available? Thanks 175774
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  6. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...
  7. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...
  8. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, yet I do NOT have a CD or DVD drive. Is it possible for me to upgrade to W10? My W7 is not asking me to upgrade, how come? 26562
  9. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...