Windows 10: If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop?

Discus and support If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I had a laptop that came with Windows 8.1 Home, and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free. Later on I switched to a new laptop that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/revelbytes, Apr 5, 2021.

1. If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop?

Hello everyone. I had a laptop that came with Windows 8.1 Home, and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free. Later on I switched to a new laptop that came with Windows 10 Pro. Both have the same Microsoft account and my license key is linked to that account. If I get a laptop that comes with W10 Home, can I switch to Pro? Do I have to reinstall Windows or does it automatically switch to Pro when I put my account?

submitted by /u/revelbytes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/revelbytes, Apr 5, 2021
  2. Ramuettan Win User

W10 Pro from a failed Laptop

Thanks Andre. Did you mean I had tried installing W10 in the new machine? No.

So, what you are saying is I've no right on the W10 upgraded to carry over to another PC I own.

Your point has logic in it. But please consider this:

What will happen to the COA that's on that machine? Who will own it? What about the$ the buyer paid for it?

Some new PCs are available without an OS. They're cheaper than those with one. Doesn't it mean that a buyer has paid for the OS if they had it with a pre installed OS? So the COA and any upgrades also belonged to them? Thanks.

Ramuettan, Apr 5, 2021
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Apr 5, 2021
  4. Ramuettan Win User

If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop?

W10 Pro from a failed Laptop

Hi There

Back in 2010 I had an HP DV6 model Laptop bought for my wife. It came with W7 Premium or Pro. The machine then developed display and several functional issues over a period of time and finally died. During this time, I also had the chance of upgrading it
    to W10 Pro. I still have the COA on it but without RAM or HDD. Now, I have a new Lenovo Laptop with W10 Home. So, I am wondering if I can get the W10 Pro registered with the HP installed on Lenovo. Please advise. Thanks.

Ramuettan, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop?

1. If I upgraded to a laptop with a W10 Pro license, do I keep it when I switch to another laptop? - Similar Threads - upgraded laptop W10

2. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  3. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  4. My laptop keeps clicking when I do anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop keeps clicking when I do anything: Hello! Today I opened my Windows 10 laptop and I couldn't log in because it said the password was incorrect even though I hadn't even pressed Enter yet. Fortunately, I had a short password and managed to type it before the laptop went crazy again. After getting past the...
  5. Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.: I bought a new Zephyrus Duo 16. The Windows installed is Windows 11 Home. I also have Zephyrus Duo 15SE had been upgraded to Windows 11 Home and finally Windows 11 Pro. I purchase upgrading license by using my Microsoft account. Now, I am going to restore my Zephyrus 15SE to...
  6. Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move upgrade license window 11 pro to another laptop.: I bought a new Zephyrus Duo 16. The Windows installed is Windows 11 Home. I also have Zephyrus Duo 15SE had been upgraded to Windows 11 Home and finally Windows 11 Pro. I purchase upgrading license by using my Microsoft account. Now, I am going to restore my Zephyrus 15SE to...
  7. How do I transfer W10 update files to another laptop in my household?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I transfer W10 update files to another laptop in my household?: Hi there, I live in Venezuela, have been offline since May 2019 (damned Maduro). I used cellular data (very expensive, OUCH!) to upgrade to 1903, since I was tired of my laptop connecting to download updates even though I did everything I could to avoid that. I just finished...
  8. Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop hangs when i switch on and to use it: Hello. i have Acer nitro 5 AN515-52 and bought in Oct 2019. Lately, the display was flickering and notification pops showing "display driver failed to start". And at that time I thought it is because i haven't installed the antivirus, and luckily after installing the...
  9. I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...: Hi! I had a laptop with windows 10 pro and it was activated with digital license tied to my account. I still see the computer with its specs and os type on my account, now my question is, can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop that came with windows home to pro since...
  10. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?: Edit: I was able to upgrade to W10 Pro RTM and activate. The responses below that say this is not possible are wrong. Mentioned here also Build 10240: Did you get assigned a license/product key? : Windows10 Hi, I have a laptop with OEM key in the BIOS which shipped with W8...