Windows 10: If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the...

Discus and support If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For example: -If you have this file path: Game > Controls -And I copy the entire "Controls" file into a new folder within Game, called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveCrete, Nov 30, 2020.

1. DaveCrete Win User

If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the...

For example:

-If you have this file path:​

Game > Controls

-And I copy the entire "Controls" file into a new folder within Game, called "Modifications", so now I have:​

Game > Modifications > Controls

How does the application know to use the "Controls" filewithin "Modifications" compared to the original "Controls" file? I'm asking not necessarily to know if it will work or not, because I know it does work, I'm just asking how the computer/application makes the distinction and more importantly why it chooses the right one.​

For context, this is directly referring to adding modifications to game files within Grand Theft Auto V, and making a "mods" folder in case there is a game breaking issue I can delete the "mods" folder where I had made changes to the "x64" and "update" folders.​

:)

DaveCrete, Nov 30, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Nov 30, 2020
  3. oily_17 Win User
    Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Squirrely Win User

If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the...

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Try this snippit in a batch file:

You have to specify where to go with the batch file, which is what the cd command is for. Then, once the prompt is in that directory, the last command lists all of the files (including directories) in the list_of_files.txt text file, since dir is a command, not the directory location. *Smile If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the... :)

Edit: Also, if your directory has spaces, you may have to put the directory in quotes, such as:

Squirrely, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

1. If there are two instances of the same file within a file/directory, how does the... - Similar Threads - are instances same

2. Why does Windows 11 File Explorer display multiple instances of the same folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 File Explorer display multiple instances of the same folders?: I just bought a new PC with Windows 11 pre-installed. File Explorer shows multiple instances of the same folders see the screenshot below:There are more duplicates if I expand Users -- it again duplicates Folders that are already in the list. Also, I can tell the duplicates...
  3. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?: Hi, I am trying to figure out how to create a file with the same name in the same directory. Purely for educational purposes and to experiment around Is there a way to do this? For example: a special character or a command prompt/PowerShell trick. Thanks!...
  4. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?: Hi, I am trying to figure out how to create a file with the same name in the same directory. Purely for educational purposes and to experiment around Is there a way to do this? For example: a special character or a command prompt/PowerShell trick. Thanks!...
  5. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory

Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory: So lets say I want to save my excel file to my documents folder. I want to name the file "data", but there is already a folder with the name data in the documents directory. When I type the word "data" into "File name:" and hit save, the file explorer opens up the data folder...
  7. two MS Sculpts within same room

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    two MS Sculpts within same room: I love my sculpt. So much so that I went out and bought another one for my company use on their laptop. But now that I am full-time remote employee, I am questioning the idea of using two computers one personal, one day jobs each one with their own sculpt, if the dongles...
  8. Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?

Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?: Is there a way in Windows graphical search, or even Powershell command-line to search for any instances of a file name that appears multiple times on the same drive?...
  9. Two entries for same file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Two entries for same file in Explorer: Why are there two entries for my X: drive in Explorer? Tank you. [img] 157485
  10. Two Instances of OneDrive, Both Exactly the Same

Two Instances of OneDrive, Both Exactly the Same: I bought a new PC and it came with a two partitions already set up: one (C Drive) ~100gigs for Windows 10, and one (D Drive) ~1.9 TB. When setting up OneDrive, I set it up so that files would be synced to the D rather than C drive. However, I now have two instances, exactly...