Windows 10: if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on

Discus and support if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; spending hours to get the computers to see each other on the network... the best advice I can find is to turn on smb1. micro.... recommends that we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlwaysFightingWithWindows, Sep 4, 2019.

1. if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on

spending hours to get the computers to see each other on the network...

the best advice I can find is to turn on smb1.

micro.... recommends that we don't use this because of security problems.

network discovery and file sharing does not work without it. Please explain.

I've had to fight this fight too many times. micro.... seems not to be able to make a network that will work consistently. I have to admit that using Linux has started crossing my mind more often.

:)

AlwaysFightingWithWindows, Sep 4, 2019

2. SMB1 disabled; No longer have access to mapped network shares via File Explorer

As per Microsoft suggestion I disabled the SMB1 protocol to stave off Wcry type attacks. At the same time I made sure SMB2 protocol was enabled. Now, i can no longer access mapped network shares using File Explorer. To verify the situation I turned SMB1
    back on and was again able to use File Explorer successfully. The network drive is operating properly; I checked using the browser admin features over IP. At present SMB1 is still off and SMB2 is on.

What must I do short of re-enabling SMB1 to allow File Explorer to access the network drive?

M.B.

Config; Windows 10 Pro - latest, Synology DSM - latest

Major Bystander, Sep 4, 2019
  3. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Without working SMB 1 (e.g. by disabling it as suggested here), browsing for computers
    with shares using Windows Explorer will not work any longer (as expected). They are still available by using \\COMPUTER\... which, I guess, involves a DNS lookup, but they are not listed automatically.

• What graphical or non-graphical (cmd, PowerShell) ways are there on Windows 10 to list remote machines which offer shares?
    • Does running with or without a Domain change the available options?

Gameplay_Ethan, Sep 4, 2019
  4. if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

Hey All,

After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the unifying and familiar Explorer remains stubbornly broken. When I turn SMB1 back on everything works ok. Any ideas how to fix File Explorer access while remaining somewhat protected. Mucho thanks in advance.

M.B.

Major Bystander, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on

1. if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on - Similar Threads - are longer supposed

2. Why does microsoft suck? Nothing works the way its supposed to.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does microsoft suck? Nothing works the way its supposed to.: I really just came here to vent. Because I don't believe that there is any hope for my Microsoft applications to work. The way they are supposed to work. I am absolutely disgusted with Microsoft if I could have my way. I would never, ever, ever, ever. Touch another Microsoft...
  3. Why does microsoft suck? Nothing works the way its supposed to.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does microsoft suck? Nothing works the way its supposed to.: I really just came here to vent. Because I don't believe that there is any hope for my Microsoft applications to work. The way they are supposed to work. I am absolutely disgusted with Microsoft if I could have my way. I would never, ever, ever, ever. Touch another Microsoft...
  4. Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?: I have installed Surfshark VPN a year ago and wifi was working OK.Two weeks ago, internet starts to disconnect when VPN is on.I have tried to uninstall VPN and reset Window, then set up VPN again, but problem still exists.Please help....
  5. Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?

Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?: I have installed Surfshark VPN a year ago and wifi was working OK.Two weeks ago, internet starts to disconnect when VPN is on.I have tried to uninstall VPN and reset Window, then set up VPN again, but problem still exists.Please help....
  6. Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  8. Is my printer using SMB1?

Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  9. Why does my Sound only works when I trigger a sound manually?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my Sound only works when I trigger a sound manually?: Hello! Just before I go into the question, I would like to add that I keep my headphones attached to my PC at all times. Now, here are the details: Every time I start up my PC, and go into a video, or a game, or anywhere, I can't hear any sound. It only works If i go into...
  10. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares: Hey All, After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the...