Windows 10: If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

Discus and support If Win 10 still used floppies for install ... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just for grins. Standard 3 1/2" floppy hold 1.44 MB, formatted. So the typical Windows update might need in very round numbers about four thousand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, Nov 20, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

Just for grins. Standard 3 1/2" floppy hold 1.44 MB, formatted. So the typical Windows update might need in very round numbers about four thousand disks. At 100 disks/carton, that's 40 cartons. Don't know how many cartons to a shipping pallet.

Fortunately Microsoft (and everyone else) doesn't use floppy disks any longer.

*Smile *Smile

:)

2. larry1876 Win User

Windows 10 Floppy drive Not recognized

Trying to use 3.5 in external floppy drive on Win 10. Files are not listed; however, appears to be floppy drive listed under Device Manager.

larry1876, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Noor_Azam Win User
    trying get external iomega floppy drive to work with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the current Windows 10 build version installed on your computer?
    2. Are you able to use the Floppy drive on a different computer?
    As there is a prompt on the screen saying the software is loaded, I suggest you to open the Disk Management and see if you are able to see the device under it.

Follow these steps to open Disk Management.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Disk Management.

Scroll down the Disk management window and check if the Floppy drive is visible, if yes.

• Right click on the Floppy drive.
    • Click on Change drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change.
    • Assign the drive letter you need and click on
      OK
    • Click OK to close the window.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Nov 20, 2020
  4. If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

Windows 10 and floppy

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that the Floppy drive is not working after you upgraded to Windows 10.

Before proceeding with any further troubleshooting, I would suggest you to check if the mentioned drive is set as hidden. Follow the below path.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type gpedit and press enter.

• Follow the path User Configuration >
      A
      dministrative templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Check the State for
      hide specified drives in my computer is set to
      No.
    Now, follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Hardware and Device
    options from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
    Troubleshooter.

Method 2

Check if the Floppy drive is shown in “Disk Management” and if a drive letter is assigned to it

Please open the Disk Management and check if a drive letter is assigned to the floppy drive. Please follow these steps, to access the Disk Management:

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Disk Management” from that list.

b) You should be able to see the hard disk partitions and the removable drives connected to the computer in the Disk Management.

c) Check if you have any drives without any drive letters assigned to it.

d) If you have floppy drive listed there without a drive letter, then you may assign the drive letter (A) to it and check if that is shown in “This
    PC
    ” now and then try to access it from the “Windows Explorer”.

Method 3

In case if the Floppy drive doesn't show in the Disk Management, check if the Floppy drive is listed in the Device Manager.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article written by one of our MVPs,
    Andre Da Costa

Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Also refer to the manufacturer/computer assembler's website to update the chipset drivers to the latest version.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

1. If Win 10 still used floppies for install ... - Similar Threads - still used floppies

2. How to use floppy disk reader in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use floppy disk reader in WIN 10: How can I get my laptop to recognize my floppy disk reader on my LENOVO with WIN 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-floppy-disk-reader-in-win-10/09cb03eb-e901-4765-8d4b-b6faa3ad7ea4
  3. How to use floppy disk reader in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use floppy disk reader in WIN 10: How can I get my laptop to recognize my floppy disk reader on my LENOVO with WIN 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-floppy-disk-reader-in-win-10/09cb03eb-e901-4765-8d4b-b6faa3ad7ea4
  4. How to use floppy disk reader in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Still not recognizing floppy media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still not recognizing floppy media: HiI'm running windows 11 home. I just got a TEAC USB 3.5" external floppy drive. It won't recognize the media type. The hardware itself is listed as drive a: in windows explorer, but when I put in anything a new blank floppy, it whirls and acts like it is about to work, then...
  6. Still not recognizing floppy media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Still not recognizing floppy media: HiI'm running windows 11 home. I just got a TEAC USB 3.5" external floppy drive. It won't recognize the media type. The hardware itself is listed as drive a: in windows explorer, but when I put in anything a new blank floppy, it whirls and acts like it is about to work, then...
  7. If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

in Windows 10 Support
    If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...: Just for grins. Standard 3 1/2" floppy hold 1.44 MB, formatted. So the typical Windows update might need in very round numbers about four thousand disks. At 100 disks/carton, that's 40 cartons. Don't know how many cartons to a shipping pallet. Fortunately Microsoft (and...
  8. The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10: After reading all the recommended procedures here for getting a USB Floppy Drive to work in Win 10 including the remove and reinstall drivers i have come to the following conclusions: 1- the system search ONLY yields that the drivers are current 2- removing drivers in the...
  9. Will Win 10 support a 3.5 floppy drive?

Will Win 10 support a 3.5 floppy drive?: My wife was given an older Hammond organ by our church. It has a 3.5 floppy drive that accepts and plays MIDI song files. I have software that is able to generate MIDI song files, I'm hoping Win 10 will support a USB connected floppy drive (??) 74430
  10. Installed Win 10, still boots in Win 8.1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Win 10, still boots in Win 8.1: I attempted to install Win 10 on my HP 7000 laptop with 6GB memory, and gobs of disk space. At first, I got the C1900107 error. After an internet search, I renamed (effectively removing) the .-BT directory. I started the download again. That went fine. Then it did the...