Windows 10: If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?

Discus and support If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have these on one drive do these files just stay in the onedrive folder or would they replace the version on my pc when I just set it up?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Finlay Logan, Dec 28, 2023.

1. If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?

I have these on one drive do these files just stay in the onedrive folder or would they replace the version on my pc when I just set it up?

:)

Finlay Logan, Dec 28, 2023

2. One drive syncing Documents, Pictures and Desktop automatically

To disabling OneDrive sync, do the following:

Note: Before proceeding, copy the files in those special folders to another folder or external drive. Please don’t copy them anywhere under Desktop/Documents/Pictures. This is because disabling OneDrive backup for a folder erases the local copies of the files. Copying them to a different location beforehand will ensure that you don’t need to download them again from the OneDrive cloud.

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Notification area and click Settings.
    2. Select the Backup tab, and click Manage Backup
    3. In the Manage folder backup dialog, click on the Stop backup link under the special folder (Desktop, Documents, or Pictures)
    4. Click Stop backup in the confirmation dialog that appears.
    5. Repeat the step for each shell folder you want to revert to the original location.
    See also: Back up your folders with OneDrive - Microsoft Support

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 28, 2023
  3. mystvearn Win User
    Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the onedrive? I want to make all common C: locations to onedrive locations. So if anything happens, I always have everything sync online?

Previously I synced the locations so from "C:\user\username" to other places on the PC. Previously, I use syncback to syncfolders to Onedrive and other HD's. However, this step is just redundant. When you sync onedrive to the PC, you still need to specify a place on the PC. So from "C:\user\username\ onedrive". Technically, Onedrive still uses a physical place on the PC to store files.
    So what I did is that I specify which part of the onedrive to replace "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Downloads" folder in the quick access. I am having a problem specifying or replacing the Desktop folder. Is it possible to change my native desktop to display directly the desktop on the onedrive online? The only problem I see is application shortcuts. You cannot specify a shortcut to appear on the onedrive folder. Aside from that, I get full autosave function of MS files which is connected to Onedrive. If it is not possible to replace the desktop file, I will still use the same solution with syncback.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mystvearn, Dec 28, 2023
  4. If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?

whats difference between "This PC" Documents folder and c://.../documents ?

OneDrive takes over the default shell folders during the Windows 11 setup.

You can do one of the following:

1) Move your files from c:/users/me/documents to c:/users/me/onedrive/documents

-or-

2) Disable OneDrive sync for the Documents/Desktop/Pictures. To revert the shell folder locations to default, open OneDrive and do the following:

Important: Before proceeding, copy the files in those special folders to another folder or external drive. Please don’t copy them anywhere under Desktop/Documents/Pictures. This is because disabling OneDrive backup for a folder erases the local copies of the files. Copying them to a different location beforehand will ensure you don’t need to download them again from the OneDrive cloud.

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Notification area and click Settings.
    2. Select the Backup tab, and click Manage Backup
    3. In the Manage folder backup dialog, click on the Stop backup link under the special folder (Desktop, Documents, or Pictures)
    4. Click Stop backup in the confirmation dialog that appears.
    5. Repeat the step for each shell folder you want to revert to the original location.
    See also:

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 28, 2023
Thema:

If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?

1. If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc? - Similar Threads - pictures documents desktop

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  4. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  5. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  6. If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?

If you have pictures, documents, desktop in onedrive does it replace the ones on your pc?: I have these on one drive do these files just stay in the onedrive folder or would they replace the version on my pc when I just set it up?...
  7. One drive syncing Documents, Pictures and Desktop automatically

One drive syncing Documents, Pictures and Desktop automatically: I enabled onedrive in my pc windows, as it waqs disabled for some time. Some minutes later onedrive started to sync automatically the folders describes above! And worse, it seems that that is no straightforward way to disable this.Total nonsense. They don't even know if I...
  8. Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive: I have searched but cannot find an issue to my problem. I purchased a new computer, set up Windows 10, and now my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders are syncing to onedrive. My Documents folder is far too large to sync, and I refuse to buy additional storage that I...
  9. Documents folder replaced by OneDrive documents in This PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder replaced by OneDrive documents in This PC: I am setting up a new installation of Windows 10 Pro v.1809. When I opened Windows Explorer, under This PC, the usual Documents folder has been replaced by OneDrive Documents. I have not done anything to cause this - it was somehow a result of the installation. Below is...
  10. Documents and Pictures on This PC are showing the OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents and Pictures on This PC are showing the OneDrive folders: Hello. I am new to the forums and I just bought a brand new Lenovo G51 laptop less than a week ago. It is a nice computer and the only problem I have with it is that when I signed in to OneDrive it shows under "This PC" the Documents, Pictures folders from OneDrive instead of...