Windows 10: If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition?

Discus and support If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Say you buy Windows 10 from Amazon. When installing, does Windows 10 also install the EFI system partition? If not how do you get that partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamjim, Apr 7, 2017.

1. iamjim Win User

If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition?

Say you buy Windows 10 from Amazon. When installing, does Windows 10 also install the EFI system partition? If not how do you get that partition installed on a new drive?

:)

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  2. Brynic Win User

It will cost you 100 GBP if you install win 10 from ISO instead of waiting for upgrade download.

What happened to the free upgrade promised. Used Msofr media to download and produce an ISO which when installed will cost 100 GBP to activate, no warnings given that this will wipe your old system product key and you will not be able to revert back to old
    op system.

Msoft at its best or worst depending.

Brynic, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Always booting from the wrong drive

The presence of the EFI System and MSR reserved partitions on the old install means it's a UEFI install to GPT disk. When you installed to the new disk it used the existing EFI System partition to Dual Boot so that when it was detached the new install cannot
    boot. Had you not wanted the old install you should have unplugged it's drive during install. If you did anything else like installed the new Windows in Compatibility mode please advise.

Now if this were the Legacy BIOS with an MBR disk we could simply mark the new install's partition Active and run a few Startup Repairs or Rebuild the BCD to get it booting. But for UEFI there must be at least the EFI System partition to boot it. You
    can create one by shrinking the Windows partition from the left by a minimum 500mb I'd recommend.

Then try either a bootable partition Manager or Diskpart from the Command Prompt of the booted Windows media to create the EFI System partition:

Create EFI System Partition in Easy Steps to Make Windows Bootable Again

Restore/Repair Deleted EFI Boot Partition in Windows 10/8/7 – EaseUS

If you can create it but it still won't boot then try a Startup Repair, or
    Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes]
    as a last resort to export
    and rebuild which often works. **Note that the commands given to copy boot files must reference the EFI System partition and not Windows partition.

When doing these operations unplug all other physical drives. Plug the target Windows drive into SATA 1 which should be DISK 0.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 7, 2017
  4. enigma101 Win User

Yes, Windows creates this partition as part of the installation process. If your PC was made after about 2007 it will have a UEFI option in the Boot Menu section of the BIOS. This must be selected before starting the installation.

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  5. iamjim Win User
    Thanks very much. I would not have known to select an option in the BIOS

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  6. enigma101 Win User
    You're welcome. You need to check for this as Windows may be installed as the old MBR/BIOS based system if this is how it was setup at the factory.

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And also check the mode the SATA disk drive interfaces are set for. You want AHCI mode before you begin the Windows 10 install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  8. enigma101 Win User

Exactly, yes....i forgot to include that!

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    If, for some reason, you did get a PC on which someone installed W10 using Legacy mode on a MBR drive, you would not have that partition.

And there would be no reason to want to try to create it.

It`s only created when you install windows using UEFI on a GPT disk.

Research, Research, Research *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  10. iamjim Win User
    This is a brand new build

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Is there some problem ?

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  12. dimar Win User
    If legacy BIOS setting of off, it will install as UEFI. If legacy setting is on, boot menu will give you a choice between UEFI and normal MBR. If you don't go through boot menu, I think it's like random selection.
    If you have an older motherboard, it will install as normal MBR.
    For windows 32-bit, it's normal MBR, unless you have one of the special 32-bit UEFI firmware/BIOS. I've seen few.

You can move between MBR and UEFI/GPT easily using Macrium software. I've done it many times.
    Restoring a UEFI/GPT System image to MBR - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    How to Restore an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT (Convert, GPT, MBR, Restore)

You can move between AHCI and IDE by booting from a separate SATA controller card, then changing the BIOS and drivers. Or the hard way by changing the device ID in registry or something like that, which I've done few times.

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no need to boot from a separate SATA controller card. Boot Windows into safe mode. Uninstall the PCI drive controller from Device Manager. Reboot the computer into BIOS/UEFI settings. Change the controller mode from PCI to AHCI. Reboot back into Windows Safe Mode. Turn off Safe Mode. Reboot computer into normal Windows.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition? - Similar Threads - install does install

2. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  3. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system...: I have an SSD that used to have windows installed on it. Recently I had to transfer to a different laptop and reinstall windows. I've gotten a couple errors but managed to fix them all, however I haven't found any information on how to fix this specific error. Any help would...
  4. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system...: I have an SSD that used to have windows installed on it. Recently I had to transfer to a different laptop and reinstall windows. I've gotten a couple errors but managed to fix them all, however I haven't found any information on how to fix this specific error. Any help would...
  5. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. System, EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    System, EFI System Partition: Two questions please -1] I had installed UBUNTU on my desktop PC, operating with Windows 10 PRO version 21H1; OS Build 19043.1202, and later removed the UBUNTU software. UBUNTU was installed on a separate SSD i.e., not on the SSD where the Windows OS is installed.The UBUNTU...
  7. EFI System Partition in error

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI System Partition in error: I am running 21376.1 Looking around in Manage Disks and Volumes I found the EFI partition says full repair needed. Is this a problem? System runs fine and boots ok. If it should be fixed how do I fix it. ieEFI Partition.pdf 178947
  8. EFI System Partition Curiousity

EFI System Partition Curiousity: I'm preparing to upgrade a laptop from HDD to SSD. It had a second Recovery Partition in the beginning of the disk, which we know can be deleted from v2004 on. Because I plan to transfer everything by Disk Image restore I thought I would clean up the disk beforehand and...
  9. Efi system partition creation on Windows 10 install

Efi system partition creation on Windows 10 install: Hello everyone. I want to install Windows 10 on an SSD GPT drive and I have already failed it in a way. The thing is that if there is no EFI partition on a disk it doesn't have any partitions at all, the windows installer won't create the 100 mb efi partition when I choose...
  10. Issues with EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issues with EFI System Partition: This is with reference to EFI System Partition Drive which automatically created as Local Disk Z in my PC when I allocated space from C Windows drive to D drive. Earlier this drive Z drive wasn't there and I want to remove it. Please tell the safest procedure ASA[ATTACH]P....