Windows 10: If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition?

Discus and support If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Say you buy Windows 10 from Amazon. When installing, does Windows 10 also install the EFI system partition? If not how do you get that partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamjim, Apr 7, 2017.

1. iamjim Win User

If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition?

Say you buy Windows 10 from Amazon. When installing, does Windows 10 also install the EFI system partition? If not how do you get that partition installed on a new drive?

:)

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  2. Brynic Win User

It will cost you 100 GBP if you install win 10 from ISO instead of waiting for upgrade download.

What happened to the free upgrade promised. Used Msofr media to download and produce an ISO which when installed will cost 100 GBP to activate, no warnings given that this will wipe your old system product key and you will not be able to revert back to old
    op system.

Msoft at its best or worst depending.

Brynic, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Always booting from the wrong drive

The presence of the EFI System and MSR reserved partitions on the old install means it's a UEFI install to GPT disk. When you installed to the new disk it used the existing EFI System partition to Dual Boot so that when it was detached the new install cannot
    boot. Had you not wanted the old install you should have unplugged it's drive during install. If you did anything else like installed the new Windows in Compatibility mode please advise.

Now if this were the Legacy BIOS with an MBR disk we could simply mark the new install's partition Active and run a few Startup Repairs or Rebuild the BCD to get it booting. But for UEFI there must be at least the EFI System partition to boot it. You
    can create one by shrinking the Windows partition from the left by a minimum 500mb I'd recommend.

Then try either a bootable partition Manager or Diskpart from the Command Prompt of the booted Windows media to create the EFI System partition:

Create EFI System Partition in Easy Steps to Make Windows Bootable Again

Restore/Repair Deleted EFI Boot Partition in Windows 10/8/7 – EaseUS

If you can create it but it still won't boot then try a Startup Repair, or
    Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes]
    as a last resort to export
    and rebuild which often works. **Note that the commands given to copy boot files must reference the EFI System partition and not Windows partition.

When doing these operations unplug all other physical drives. Plug the target Windows drive into SATA 1 which should be DISK 0.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 7, 2017
  4. enigma101 Win User

Yes, Windows creates this partition as part of the installation process. If your PC was made after about 2007 it will have a UEFI option in the Boot Menu section of the BIOS. This must be selected before starting the installation.

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  5. iamjim Win User
    Thanks very much. I would not have known to select an option in the BIOS

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  6. enigma101 Win User
    You're welcome. You need to check for this as Windows may be installed as the old MBR/BIOS based system if this is how it was setup at the factory.

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And also check the mode the SATA disk drive interfaces are set for. You want AHCI mode before you begin the Windows 10 install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2017
  8. enigma101 Win User

Exactly, yes....i forgot to include that!

enigma101, Apr 7, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    If, for some reason, you did get a PC on which someone installed W10 using Legacy mode on a MBR drive, you would not have that partition.

And there would be no reason to want to try to create it.

It`s only created when you install windows using UEFI on a GPT disk.

Research, Research, Research *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  10. iamjim Win User
    This is a brand new build

iamjim, Apr 7, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Is there some problem ?

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  12. dimar Win User
    If legacy BIOS setting of off, it will install as UEFI. If legacy setting is on, boot menu will give you a choice between UEFI and normal MBR. If you don't go through boot menu, I think it's like random selection.
    If you have an older motherboard, it will install as normal MBR.
    For windows 32-bit, it's normal MBR, unless you have one of the special 32-bit UEFI firmware/BIOS. I've seen few.

You can move between MBR and UEFI/GPT easily using Macrium software. I've done it many times.
    Restoring a UEFI/GPT System image to MBR - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    How to Restore an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT (Convert, GPT, MBR, Restore)

You can move between AHCI and IDE by booting from a separate SATA controller card, then changing the BIOS and drivers. Or the hard way by changing the device ID in registry or something like that, which I've done few times.

dimar, Apr 7, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no need to boot from a separate SATA controller card. Boot Windows into safe mode. Uninstall the PCI drive controller from Device Manager. Reboot the computer into BIOS/UEFI settings. Change the controller mode from PCI to AHCI. Reboot back into Windows Safe Mode. Turn off Safe Mode. Reboot computer into normal Windows.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. If you install Windows does it install the EFI system partition? - Similar Threads - install does install

2. Clean install Windows 10, preserving the EFI partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows 10, preserving the EFI partition: I want to clean install Windows 10 on a new hp laptop, to get rid of the hp bloatware. What I usually do to clean install, is boot from a Windows 10 installation USB, use a diskpart script (by pressing Shift+F10 at setup) to create the 4 reuired partitions, namely: EFI...
  3. Installing Windows 10 on SD drive with MBR partition table on EFI system

Installing Windows 10 on SD drive with MBR partition table on EFI system: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on an SD drive. I keep getting this message: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" I went into the BIOS to disable the EFI Boot...
  4. Windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. Format the efi system...

Windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. Format the efi system...: I am getting this error trying to install latest version of windows in a uefi bootable USB. I used Rufus to create the USB in ntfs format. I have formatted my OS and I don't want to lose any more data. What can I do?...
  5. Clean Windows Install: Do I need the 100mb EFI System Partition?

Clean Windows Install: Do I need the 100mb EFI System Partition?: Okay, so I just got a new laptop. It is a Lenovo, a deal I just got from Costco for $400 exactly. Latest i3, 256 SSD, 8 gigs ram, etc. Nothing special. I will use it mainly for taking my QuickBooks with me and surfing the web and email and Word with Office. But I've always...
  6. Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition): HI my HDD have 6 partitions,my question is ;one of the partitions is (EFI System Partition) and other is OEM healthy Partition,I don't know what is in it,Iwonder if i can see what is in it?and what hapen if i delete this partition whithout damage my windows or my recovery...
  7. Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition

Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition: I forced reinstalled my windows 10 after my boot got corrupted by deleting linux on dual boot. Now I used diskpart to wipe my SSD before I began installation. When the Win10 installation is finished. I noticed that I have Recovery and EFI Partitions on Disk management. I'm...
  8. How to "move" an EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to "move" an EFI system partition: I'd like to move a 200MiB EFI partition to the D-drive to join some unallocated space together. It's on my hard drive (D: drive) and if i don't need it at all i would like to delete it. Planning on dual booting Debian on the ~300GiB of unused space.[ATTACH]...
  9. Drive letter for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Drive letter for EFI system partition?: In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that...
  10. EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?: Hello everyone, I decided to dedicate my Saturday evening off to somehow moving the EFI/Recovery/MSR partitions from my original SSD(Windows 8.1) to my new SSD (Windows 10) - when proceeding with dual booting Windows 10 I had left my old SSD attached, and I require the...