Windows 10: IISM and WAS services cannot start

Discus and support IISM and WAS services cannot start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi After a major W10 April update (1083) which went through 3-4 days ago, the w3svc service cannot start. Its because the WAS service cannot start,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Petar Stoychev, May 23, 2018.

1. IISM and WAS services cannot start

Hi

After a major W10 April update (1083) which went through 3-4 days ago, the w3svc service cannot start.

Its because the WAS service cannot start, which upon start attempt gives error 2: the system cannot find the file specified
    In EV the errors are:

The Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) failed to execute initialization for offline setup. The data field contains the error number.
    Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) is stopping because it encountered an error. The data field contains the error number.
    The Windows Process Activation Service service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I have tried to deinstall and reinstall both IIS and WAS, but no change..

I can also find no way of deinstalling this update.

I can not afford the time and effort to refresh or reset this PC.. and I need these services to keep my online shop synced.

thx

:)

Petar Stoychev, May 23, 2018

2. Message: WINDOWS SERVICE START FAILURE

Whenever log in through user profile, a message is displayed as:

"Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the Server Explorer, Windows Services, Administrative tool or the NET START command"

I am not aware of the reason but the observation afterwards are

• System slows down whether you work online or offline.
    • Would not allow easily to shut down or restart the system through start menu and have to use the power button ultimately.
    Request to suggest the solution if any.

Regards

SachinKhandeparkar, May 29, 2018
  3. unable to start the Windows time service on Windows 10

Hi Enriq,

As you are facing issue with starting the Windows Time Service, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to turn on the service?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

Method 1: I suggest you to run a SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Note: If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to
    fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)” to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Refer: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Method 2: I suggest you to Restart Windows Time Service and check if it helps.

Windows Time Service maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled,
    any services that explicitly depends on it will fail to start.

Step 1: Stop the service:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc, Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Time service and stop.
    • To do so, right click on each service select Stop
    • Restart the device.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Windows Time service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing the Windows Time Service for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 29, 2018
Thema:

IISM and WAS services cannot start

1. IISM and WAS services cannot start - Similar Threads - IISM WAS services

2. cannot start bluetooth services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot start bluetooth services: i got this error and i cant use bluetooth can anyone please help me fix this i have tried to use sfc/scannow but it didnt workwhen i tried to run it got error code 162 and 1068...
  3. cannot start bluetooth services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot start bluetooth services: i got this error and i cant use bluetooth can anyone please help me fix this i have tried to use sfc/scannow but it didnt workwhen i tried to run it got error code 162 and 1068...
  4. Cannot start Remote Desktop Service

Cannot start Remote Desktop Service: I have a new Windows 11 PC and I am not able to start Remote Desktop Service. Based on other threads, I think BitDefender altered the registry for TermService. I have another Windows 11 machine where it starts fine. I exported the registry for term service and imported it on...
  5. Cannot start Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  6. Cannot start Software Protection Service

Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  7. Cannot start any services

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot start any services: Hi. Whenever I go to start a service or change anything to a service, all I get is a grayed out menu. See image belo[ATTACH]w https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-start-any-services/046f22a4-f181-4891-8ec0-a1051a5bbfad
  8. Cannot start Windows Search service

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot start Windows Search service: I noticed Windows Search indexing was stopped and tried to restart its service, but when I attempt to do it, I get this error message: Code: Windows Search Error 2:The system cannot find the file specified It's stuck at "Starting" and is set to Automatic (Delayed Start),...
  9. Windows Update service cannot start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update service cannot start: Windows update encountered a error when checking for update. My windows update sevice cannot be started and it shows "windows could not start the windows update on local computer. Error 2: The file specified was not found." These are the method I've tried to solve this...
  10. Windows update service cannot start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update service cannot start: Windows update service cannot start it show access is denied, please help thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-service-cannot-start/e51efbea-b410-427a-a5fd-b6941308d1c2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2018 cannot start w3svc