Windows 10: I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..??

Discus and support I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For many years now, I have maintained a 2TB data drive in my primary desktop workstation. All of "My Documents" are stored here in the same structure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Drew Angell, Jan 13, 2019.

1. I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..??

For many years now, I have maintained a 2TB data drive in my primary desktop workstation. All of "My Documents" are stored here in the same structure as default, and I update all of the Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. to use this drive as its location. I've always had a mirrored copy of the drive on a second drive, and I also use an online backup service.

I'm trying to get used to making OneDrive my primary drive, and I'm getting a little bit confused, especially when migrating from one computer to another.

On the desktop with the 2TB drive, all of the data originated there, and when I setup OneDrive there I switched its location to use this storage drive instead of the default location in Windows. So all of the data exists on this local drive, and when I'm working with that data in software everything runs nice and smooth as expected.

I'm trying to get myself away from this desktop, and make my Surface Book my primary computer. It has OneDrive configured to its user directory, and all of the data is available in the cloud, but in order to get to it I have to download it locally. This makes sense, although, it's a real pain when dealing with things like website projects that I'm trying to work with inside an IDE, for example. LOTS of files that have to be downloaded and it really wastes time.

I know I can set OneDrive to make all of the files available on this machine and it will download them all, but the drive in this machine isn't big enough.

So then I was thinking I'd get an external drive, what would be the best steps to proceed at that point?

Should I copy all of the data from my current local drive to my new external drive first? Then configure OneDrive to use this drive as its location? Will it sync everything up properly?

Also, what's the standard procedure for handling backups now with OneDrive? Does Microsoft keep redundant copies of OneDrive? Is there an upgrade service I can pay for to keep backups instead of the 3rd party online service I use now? I feel like I'm not taking full advantage of what I'm already paying for.

Any information / general feedback about all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Drew Angell, Jan 13, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 13, 2019
  3. mjean1 Win User
    There are no more files and ASUS Data Security Manager

I've been having the same issues trying to save files.

I followed all of the steps but ASUS Data Security Manager keeps reappearing. How do I really get it to delete? I've done the uninstall four times and it just pops back in the list.

mjean1, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Terrypin Win User

I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..??

Confused about OneDrive

My thanks to all for those very helpful replies. Much to study now. First step will be to find my way through the complex settings to the one which switches me to minimal use of oneDrive while I consider whether it offers any benefit.

I'd still like to hear from any Dropbox users on the question of whether both facilities are needed. Seems potentially wasteful and confusing to me.

Terry, UK

Terrypin, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..??

1. I'm a little bit confused about managing data with OneDrive..?? - Similar Threads - I'm little bit

2. Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”: So confused! I set up my mom with OneDrive so that she could use a laptop in the hospital and be able to access all her documents from her home desktop. I installed Microsoft 365 on both her machines home desktop and laptop. I copied all her documents on her home computer...
  3. Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused about OneDrive and “This PC”: So confused! I set up my mom with OneDrive so that she could use a laptop in the hospital and be able to access all her documents. I installed Microsoft 365 on both her machines. I copied all her documents on her home computer from the My PC location to the documents folder...
  4. I'm a little confused about the display port connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm a little confused about the display port connection.: LS27BG402ENXG0 Odessey Monitor - My Graphic Card 3070 supports up to four displays via one 2.1 HDMI and three DisplayPort 1.4a ports ----My new monitor cables are 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, --- 2 x HDMI 2.0. The HDMI cable works fine, and I understand that HDMI port only supports...
  5. I'm a little confused about the display port connection.

I'm a little confused about the display port connection.: LS27BG402ENXG0 Odessey Monitor - My Graphic Card 3070 supports up to four displays via one 2.1 HDMI and three DisplayPort 1.4a ports ----My new monitor cables are 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, --- 2 x HDMI 2.0. The HDMI cable works fine, and I understand that HDMI port only supports...
  6. A little confused about drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  7. A little confused about drives.

A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  8. A little confused !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A little confused !: Over the last few days I have been trying to find out why my laptop failed the "Windows 11 compatibility test ! It seems like the processer is not up to the required standard needed for Windows 11. I have also done the TPM check which as left me confused. If I type in the...
  9. I'm confused about "Administrator"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm confused about "Administrator": When I got my new laptop with Win 10, I took my Local account as an Administrator. I thought it gave me full rights to do everything. However, every so often, a pop-up tells me i need to be an Administrator. And I must bypass it by pressing Enter, or something like that. (...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...