Windows 10: I'm At My Wits In On Upgrading to Win 10

Discus and support I'm At My Wits In On Upgrading to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'll explain.. About two weeks ago I went to turn on my HP p6750f desktop PC and things didn't work as before. It appears I had parts of a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FD611V, Feb 7, 2016.

1. FD611V Win User

I'm At My Wits In On Upgrading to Win 10

I'll explain.. About two weeks ago I went to turn on my HP p6750f desktop PC and things didn't work as before. It appears I had parts of a Windows 10 upgrade and some of the old Windows 7 Home OS. I tried for hours to get it working, but that didn't happen. So, I decided to take my three Win 7 install discs and do a complete Recovery on the hard drive That takes about 4 hours to get it back to factory reset before I can do anything else. All went well in installing the necessary files and OS. However, when it became time to install any "updates" that didn't happen, and it never shows I have any updates to install. I know better, as I have done a factory rest before. I did the Windows SP1 upgrade, and few others by the Microsoft website, but that's it...no more upgrade after three days of waiting. Thinking there may be a error in the factory rest, I did another one, but, it 's doing the same old routine. I'm now on my fourth Factory Reset, and I'm now watching the monitor screen that the Windows 10 upgrade screen showing...Getting Updates, and it has been 8 hours searching for these updates. It shows 0%...
    So, has anyone had the same problem as I'm having?

NOTE: I also have a HP dc7900 SFF PC that had Windows 7 Home and the Windows 10 upgrade went very well with no problems...

:)

FD611V, Feb 7, 2016

2. At my wits end since upgrading to windows 10 creators edition

It actually is converted into a Task under explorer.exe. So, you need to expand the Windows Explorer item to see your Control Panel windows in Task Manager.

BTW when you said "lost my Control Panel" I thought you were referring to not seeing it in the Start button's Command menu (AKA Win-x). It's gone from there. We need to use the Run command and type and enter control.exe (for example) instead.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Feb 7, 2016
  3. At my wits end since upgrading to windows 10 creators edition

Hi! Have you thought about a-in-place-repair. Some times that can fix some minor bugs. Let me know how things go! I have had good success with it before!

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

garybear89, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Kyhi, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 on an old laptop a week or 2 back. There were more than 200 updates available. Some of them failed and trashed the EDB. store so that Windows update just keeps going and getting nowhere. When you try to install an upgrade to Windows 10 on that Windows 7 system, the overactive Windows 7 update service (WUAUSERV) prevents the Windows 10 updates from getting through, and the upgrade tends to fail. Some folks have reported that stopping the WUAUSERV from the elevated command prompt (see below) a couple of times as required allows the upgrade to proceed - but it failed for me.

You can clean install as suggested above, or you can disconnect from the internet while doing the upgrade (without updates, updating the new installation later), or you can cancel the upgrade and stop WUAUSERV and delete the following files from an admin command prompt:

Code: Net stop wuauserv <enter> del C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb <enter> del C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\logs\*.* <enter> Net start wuauserv <enter>[/quote] and let the updates to the Windows 7 system completely install themselves - it could be a whole night or day to complete on an older PC. The advantage is that if you find the upgrade rolling back to 7, you have a fully patched system ready to go.

If you decide to clean install, see here and get a "genuine ticket.xml" on your Windows 7 installation, before upgrading, and store it safely* in the event that activation does not take place, to use as a digital entitlement for your upgrade.

*USB storage, or zip it in an email attachment to yourself, so that you can obtain it easily from the new upgrade installation.

Fafhrd, Feb 8, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    and let the updates to the Windows 7 system completely install themselves - it could be a whole night or day to complete on an older PC. The advantage is that if you find the upgrade rolling back to 7, you have a fully patched system ready to go.

If you decide to clean install, see here and get a "genuine ticket.xml" on your Windows 7 installation, before upgrading, and store it safely* in the event that activation does not take place, to use as a digital entitlement for your upgrade.

*USB storage, or zip it in an email attachment to yourself, so that you can obtain it easily from the new upgrade installation.[/quote] OP - This is all unnecessary, especially since build 10586 was released.

Create usb installation stick, using media creation tool as per Kyhi's post.

To upgrade - insert usb stick whist running Windows 7, and run setup.exe. No need to update Windows 7.

To clean install - boot from usb stick, and select custom install, and use Windows 7 key to activate it.

Important: make sure you know your Windows 7 installation key (need the COA key if pc came with Windows 7 preinstalled - usually on a blue sticker on base of pc).

cereberus, Feb 8, 2016
  7. FD611V Win User
    UPDATE: After 16 hours of running Windows 10 upgrade trying to download the latest windows updates to install Ten, the computer did complete it's operation to Ten. I now have Windows 10 working well... That is, I think it's working okay. There must have been a lot of Updates that needed to be installed before Ten to start it's download.

NOTE: I have Windows 10 on another HP desktop that was running Windows 7 Home, and this Windows 10 Home on this PC is completely different. It has the APPS, but, they are more and different than the other PC. That doesn't concern me, as I don't use these APPS. However, I did notice this version of Ten is faster than the other PC with Ten. I realize the reason... this PC has a larger hard drive, and a dual-core cpu and twice the memory. If that makes it a good reason it's faster.

FD611V, Feb 8, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Would have only taken a couple of hours if you manually upgraded (see my earlier post), but you had already started, so I guess it was too late.

Good news is if you wish to install Windows 10 on same pc again, you can clean install ie no need to reinstall Window 7 any more.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I'm At My Wits In On Upgrading to Win 10 - Similar Threads - I'm Wits Upgrading

2. Hey, I'm Trying to upgrade my Win7 to Win 10, and keep geting this errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hey, I'm Trying to upgrade my Win7 to Win 10, and keep geting this errors: Hey, I'm Trying to upgrade my Win7 to Win 10, and I keep geting this errors. Can someone help me to understand what I'm doing wrong? At the beginning of the installation it does shows me that have the needed system requirements. Thanks[ATTACH]...
  3. At my wit's end with my internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    At my wit's end with my internet connection: So, the TL;DR is that I'm having internet problems. I have a gig internet plan with Comcast, but my computer specifically is getting anywhere from 100-200 MBPS, even when I'm hardwired in. I had one of their techs come out to do a complete overview of everything, and...
  4. problem in upgrading and updating my win 8.1 to win 10

problem in upgrading and updating my win 8.1 to win 10: my window resource protection is corrupted when i update my genuine win 8 to win 8.1 no update is showing in window update checking in control panel its searching for updates endlessly and found nothing always showing checking for updates for hours . i troubleshoot everything...
  5. persistant issues wit windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    persistant issues wit windows 10: i have been having persistent issues with windows 10 pro, between getting the updates to updating drivers it has been a real nightmare. im the last week i have reinstalled windows at least 15 times due to it looping in BSOD and other critical errors, even the start up repair...
  6. At Wits end

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    At Wits end: Ok, things used to be so easy. I have three new or newer computers running windows 10 and avg internet security ultimate. I can't connect to other computers on network and am just about bald. I can see one computer but the laptop I can't. all settings are the same.. I am...
  7. Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

Win 10 upgrade killed my PC: Two days ago, a Win 10 upgrade occurred and my Dell Studio will not boot. Macrium Reflect got me to the DOS prompts and most files seem to be there. I backed them up to a 4TB Seagate external drive. Microsoft acknowledges that they shot my PC with a mandatory Win 10...
  8. Windows 10 forced download - at my wits end.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 forced download - at my wits end.: I have owned windows OS PCs since Win2000. I have never had any issues until I bought my Win10 machine. I am on a limited data plan and have done everything I can think of to stop automatic windows updates because they chew up all my data allowance (win10 is updating as I...
  9. still awaiting my win 10 upgrade

still awaiting my win 10 upgrade: Hi guys. It's now 5th september in my zone (Australia), and I still haven't received my win 10 upgrade. Does this seem normal to you guys. I made a reservation in I think early July. 21168
  10. Upgrade my win 10

Upgrade my win 10: Hello, This weekend I wish to try again make my win 10 (1511) upgrade. After reading about it, I see there are 3 options: 1.Use the Media creation tool to start the update / upgrade 2.Use setup from mounted Iso file (which was created with the media creation tool) 3.Use...