Windows 10: I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade.

Discus and support I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, yesterday at 5pm, in the middle of work, my laptop began its First Wave of an assault to liberate my Windows version to 1909. It did an unprompted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/UltravioletClearance, Jun 23, 2020.

1. I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade.

So, yesterday at 5pm, in the middle of work, my laptop began its First Wave of an assault to liberate my Windows version to 1909. It did an unprompted restart (losing all the work I was doing) to install feature upgrade 1909. Despite having my active hours set from 8am-6pm. I left it alone to do its thing... for 5 hours. Come back to a black screen. Reboot. Every time I log in my computer instantly freezes. Realize this update has crippled something with CPU throttling so my CPU is at 0.001GHz.

After spending another few hours trying several out of date guides on rebooting in recovery mode without being able to log in (because apparently Microsoft can't make up their minds about how they want this to work?), I had to make a USB stick and run bcdedit to manually get into safe mode, and finally got to uninstall the feature upgrade.

You'd think this is the end of the story no? Nope, my laptop ups its Second Offensive in its War For 1909. I guess Windows doesn't get the message that if I uninstall a feature upgrade, there's a damn good reason why. At 9:30 AM today (again in the middle of my active hours) I return from making coffee with a "your system will restart in one minute" message. Frantically cancel that. See Windows Update now has an errored out attempt to install Feature Upgrade 1909.

I counter with an aggressive offensive attack of my own: Group Policy missiles! I enable Group Policy settings to block all upgrades for 30 days, block all feature upgrades for 365 days, etc.

Few hours later, notice my CPU fan running hard, see none other than Windows Setup running in the background. A stealth attack! I Ctrl+Alt+Delete that. Now apparently even completley disabling updates isn't working???

tl;dr: My laptop really wants to install 1909 despite the fact that it breaks my PC. What the hell do I have to do to get it to STOP INSTALLING???? I've tried everything I can think of.

submitted by /u/UltravioletClearance
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/UltravioletClearance, Jun 23, 2020

2. Windows 10 Pro and Ergnomic Break Reminder

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Do you remember installing any break reminder software?

It looks like it is a pop up from a break reminder software.

I suggest you to look for this in Programs in features and uninstall it if do not use it.

Try the following steps:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run Command

• Type Appwiz.cpl and hit enter

• Search for the programs and un-install it.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Pentium M

Not sure what I'm looking at. Though when I do go to Options and then CPU it lists my CPU
    as Intel Pentium M processor 1.73 GHz, and then under that it lists speed: 799.9 MHz
    and then features and cache size.I ran the benchmark test and don't understand all
    those numbers, but while testing I checked CPUZ and it still says it is running at 800 MHz.

boise49ers, Jun 23, 2020
  4. I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade.

Gears Of War 4 - Huge problems with the Store\New Update almost two months later i can't play!

If the troubleshooting steps does not work. We would suggest that you do a system restore to start your system fresh, then try to re-install your Gears of War 4.

We'll keep an eye on your response.

Jomari Arc, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade.

1. I'm at war with my laptop over installing a system-breaking feature upgrade. - Similar Threads - I'm war laptop

2. Feature Upgrades fail to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature Upgrades fail to install: I own an Asus all-in-one desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro. When the 2019 feature update was available it failed to install each time I tried. The same thing happened with the May 2020 feature upgrade and is also happening with Upgrade 2H02. I noted the upgrade notification...
  3. Feature Updates Breaking Login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Feature Updates Breaking Login: The last two feature updates (2004 and 20H4) have both rendered my system unable to login. It's a bit hard to describe exactly, but basically it accepts all of my proper passwords or biometrics upon input, starts to login, and then immediately kicks back to the login screen....
  4. Feature Updates Breaking Login

in Windows 10 Support
    Feature Updates Breaking Login: The last two feature updates (2004 and 20H4) have both rendered my system unable to login. It's a bit hard to describe exactly, but basically it accepts all of my proper passwords or biometrics upon input, starts to login, and then immediately kicks back to the login screen....
  5. Microsoft AMD Drivers Intentional Breaking of my laptops Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft AMD Drivers Intentional Breaking of my laptops Features: I want to know how and what to look for the 2 Microsoft AMD Drivers installed everytime you wipe with ddu and to remove all drivers from pc... I tried the guides on turning off microsoft auto updates and i tried manual update... I want to find the 2 microsoft drivers and...
  6. Accidentally hit install Feature update 2004. Will my laptop break?

Accidentally hit install Feature update 2004. Will my laptop break?: I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340, i5 1035G1 integrated graphics. I clicked install Windows 10 2004 before I knew that Microsoft advised not to as I never searched nor did recieve any email about it. I need to know if it will break my laptop or not. If it does I will just recover...
  7. Bluetooth feature is breaking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth feature is breaking: Recently i updated the windows 10 to latest version 2004 now Bluetooth is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-feature-is-breaking/1505f4ee-a6c1-42e8-9fa2-5e43f21d5fc0
  8. I'm trying to refresh my laptop, because there was an error with the system, and I'm...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm trying to refresh my laptop, because there was an error with the system, and I'm...: Including things like temporary files and files in downloads. submitted by /u/BOT-747 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fhvz8i/im_trying_to_refresh_my_laptop_because_there_was/
  9. Windows Upgrade breaks OpenGL support for SYSTEM-User

Windows Upgrade breaks OpenGL support for SYSTEM-User: Hi, one of my applications is running as a service started from the SYSTEM-user and was using OpenGL before without any problems. No I have problems on machines that have Windows Version 1903 - A regular Deskop User gets an opengl-context without any problems, but the...
  10. Gears of War: Ultimate, Quantum Break! Unplayable on PC!

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Gears of War: Ultimate, Quantum Break! Unplayable on PC!: My rig: Windows 10 Prof, 1903 32 GIGS of RAM 2070 SUPER installed on SSD The games are unplayable! I have bought both games and after some microsoft updates these games are not playable anymore. It is a known problem. You find alot of people having these problems. ON...