Windows 10: I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license?

Discus and support I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good evening, I need to format my laptop and I was wondering what would happen to the digital license? I bought it second hand from a guy and Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mirkodeka92, Jun 7, 2019.

1. I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license?

Good evening,

I need to format my laptop and I was wondering what would happen to the digital license? I bought it second hand from a guy and Windows 10 pro was already activated, I believe using his Microsoft account. If I format the hard drive I have to install a new copy of Windows don't I? Also, the laptop had Windows 8 when manufactured so he installed 10 afterwards, not sure if that's relevant anyway. Will a new copy of Windows be automatically activated upon installation? If not, can I use the Product Key (which I found using a "wmic" command in command prompt) which is now present on this copy of the OS? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

:)

mirkodeka92, Jun 7, 2019

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Ramhound Win User
    Windows 10 - Digital license after PC format

Once you have installed the same version of Windows 10 you had installed which based on the information you provided appears to have been Windows 10 Home you won't have to do anything in order for it to automatically activate. Windows 10 automatically activates based on a digital entitlement, since your machine already has an digital entitlement for Windows 10, Windows 10 Home will automatically activated itself.

Additionally, when prompted to enter your product key, skip that step and/or enter the Windows 7 key located on the COA sticker on your device.

Any license key you would have retrieved before you decided to format your machine would have been a generic key which cannot be used to activate nor install Windows 10. So it would have served absolutely no purpose in retrieving that key.

The only tool that would have given you the Windows 7 license key would have been ShowKeyPlus but it is located on the sticker so you don't need a tool to determine it (you also don't need it to reinstall Windows 10).

Ramhound, Jun 7, 2019
  4. I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license?

Windows 10 digital license

I had upgraded to Windows 10. How can I find my license key?

Every time i start my laptop the windows activation page opens up. The 2nd step is to type in the product key/digital license.

MadhubrataManna, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license?

1. I'm in need of formatting my laptop, what would it be of the digital license? - Similar Threads - I'm need formatting

2. Digital license secondhand laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital license secondhand laptop: Bought a laptop secondhand with activated windows 10 linked to his microsoft account. Can't figure out how to change the license to my account if it's at all possible. I want his information off of here. Somehow we're both signed in as admins....
  3. Digital license secondhand laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license secondhand laptop: Bought a laptop secondhand with activated windows 10 linked to his microsoft account. Can't figure out how to change the license to my account if it's at all possible. I want his information off of here. Somehow we're both signed in as admins....
  4. Digital license secondhand laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Where would I be able to find my digital license number?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where would I be able to find my digital license number?: Where would I be able to find my digital license number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-would-i-be-able-to-find-my-digital-license/b66bb54d-c438-4347-becf-df3dc6c8d1f8
  6. Where would I be able to find my digital license number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where would I be able to find my digital license number?: Where would I be able to find my digital license number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-would-i-be-able-to-find-my-digital-license/b66bb54d-c438-4347-becf-df3dc6c8d1f8
  7. Where would I be able to find my digital license number?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Need help understanding digital license

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help understanding digital license: A few years ago I got a laptop with Windows 10 Pro then a few months ago I got an old PC from a friend. On said PC I signed into my Microsoft account. In the Activation section of Update & Security, both computers say that Windows 10 Pro is installed with the message:...
  9. Reimaging Laptops - Digital License

Reimaging Laptops - Digital License: If I was to create an image and use it for multiple laptops would it retain the license from the original laptop or take the one from the image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reimaging-laptops-digital-license/c9bf37fa-dfa3-46b3-92c0-ff6b3e23b53a
  10. Bought a new PC and I'm trying to active my digital license.

Bought a new PC and I'm trying to active my digital license.: I had Windows 7 a few years back (I still have the activation key for it) and I used the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I associated with my Microsoft account. Now I bought a new PC, installed Windows and logged in on my account but it doesn't activate Windows. It gives me...