Windows 10: I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup

Discus and support I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've a laptop with Windows 10 Home.In the recent past I created a system image onto an external USB HDD. I see the WindowsImageBackup directory on that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JeromeMrozak, Sep 7, 2021.

1. I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup

I've a laptop with Windows 10 Home.In the recent past I created a system image onto an external USB HDD. I see the WindowsImageBackup directory on that external drive.I also have a USB stick that will boot into an emergency mode -- Recover from a Drive, Use a Device, etc.That laptop is currently missing its original HD, original partitions. Gone is EFI, gone is the recovery partition.Hooray! I can use my backup files. Except that I think don't have all the procedure down. Here is what I know.Put the USB stick into its appropriate USB port on some computers, you must select the right one

:)

JeromeMrozak, Sep 7, 2021
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Sep 7, 2021
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 7, 2021
  4. I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Sep 7, 2021
Thema:

I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup

1. I'm missing steps for restoring Windows 10 from a USB-drive WindowsImageBackup - Similar Threads - I'm missing steps

2. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  3. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  4. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup": Prior to replacing the old SSD disk drive in my laptop, I completed a backup using the Windows 10 'Create System Image' option in Settings.I then tried unsuccessfully to restore that 'image' onto the new SSD disk drive.Microsoft Technical Support advised me that the...
  5. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup": Prior to replacing the old SSD disk drive in my laptop, I completed a backup using the Windows 10 'Create System Image' option in Settings.I then tried unsuccessfully to restore that 'image' onto the new SSD disk drive.Microsoft Technical Support advised me that the...
  6. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WindowsImageBackup USB Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    WindowsImageBackup USB Issues: Hi, I have a HP laptop running Win10 20H2 (64 bit), which I made a "WindowsImageBackup" of, on a USB 3.0 external drive connected to one of the laptops USB 3.0 ports. However, when I boot into recovery (Trouble Shoot, Advanced Options, System Image Recovery) to restore the...
  8. Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Restore from WindowsImageBackup: We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition. I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition....
  9. Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: Hello, I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10 and the backup was created using Windows 10 as well on my external Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive. I have tried restoring from...
  10. Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: My client's Win10 Pro computer died. Got a new Win10 Home Asus laptop. Trying to restore files from a WindowsSystemImage folder on his backup drive, but the Advanced Recovery tool doesn't recognize the external drive containing the ImageBackup folder. When I attempt to mount...