Windows 10: I'm missing the File Explorer search function - Win 10

Discus and support I'm missing the File Explorer search function - Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There is no search function in my File Explorer. Just File, Computer and View. How do i get it back??... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rdcook, Feb 17, 2019.

1. rdcook Win User

I'm missing the File Explorer search function - Win 10

There is no search function in my File Explorer. Just File, Computer and View. How do i get it back??

:)

rdcook, Feb 17, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 17, 2019
  3. reklaw#XD Win User
    Win 10 File explorer search right click after file search not working

After installing Win 10 version 1703 File search has developed a problem.

After searching for a file with File Explorer the right click function is missing. Also, the ribbon button "Open file location" does not work and the Detail view "location" column is empty.

Right click works ok in straight File Explorer (not Search results).

I have tried sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with no effect.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or is this a known bug in version 1703 "to be fixed later"?

Thanks for any constructive help.

reklaw#XD, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

1. I'm missing the File Explorer search function - Win 10 - Similar Threads - I'm missing File

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. "Search again in" function missing in File Explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search again in" function missing in File Explorer in Windows 11: Where is the "Search again in" function in File Explorer in Windows 11? It's there in Windows 10 when I want to run the same search again in a different folder. Thanks....
  5. "Search again in" function missing in File Explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Search again in" function missing in File Explorer in Windows 11: Where is the "Search again in" function in File Explorer in Windows 11? It's there in Windows 10 when I want to run the same search again in a different folder. Thanks....
  6. Search function in Microsoft File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Microsoft File Explorer Windows 10: Hi,Hope all is well.I'm looking for a way to search a large network drive which contains multiple layers of subfolders and a huge number of documents to obtain a list of all documents/files e.g. videos, photos, word documents etc that I am either the author/file owner of. I...
  7. File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions: [ATTACH] Why are these functions from the old search missing? Why are we forced to use the ribbon? Instant search. Have to press enter now. Dropdown for kind, size options, date range calendar... Completely missing. Blue coloring for kind, size, date syntax... Its only...
  8. Win 10 search function

in Cortana
    Win 10 search function: Does anyone know of a commercial ap that will search win 10? The built-in search is far too erratic. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-search-function/d7a20376-8ed8-42ab-b9af-ad883d5c6983"
  9. Search functionality within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...
  10. Search for Missing files in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer: I am using iTunes to locate missing files, which takes me to Explorer. All I have is the name of the files and the length in minutes to identify (and the name is the same). So I'm looking for a file called Class with a length of 2:30, as opposed to a file called Class with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where is ffile search on win 10

2. cannot find search function in file explorer

3. search function windows 10 explorer not working

4. im missing the search tab in explorer