Windows 10: I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't

Discus and support I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to update a slightly less old laptop to windows 10. I upgraded the dying machine to Windows 10 when it was free. I've read that I should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RandoRog, Nov 23, 2019.

1. I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't

I'm trying to update a slightly less old laptop to windows 10. I upgraded the dying machine to Windows 10 when it was free. I've read that I should just be able to move my product key to a new system and be good.

I'm running the windows 10 setup on the new machine, and putting my old product key in, and it's telling me it's no good.

Is there something I'm not doing?

submitted by /u/RandoRog
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RandoRog, Nov 23, 2019
  2. EliSherer Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 - Unique Product Key situation

No... let me try again.

• Old computer is running Win7 Pro (SP1) with a Product key I have from a few years ago. The Product is activated already, but I do NOT use this computer at this point, so I didn't worry about using the Product key when moving to the new computer (see below).
    • New computer is running Win10 Pro, with data and OS migrated from the Old computer, (same Product key as above), then Upgraded to Win10 (without getting a new Product Key).
    What I am trying to do now...

• I want to upgrade the OLD computer (Win7 Pro) to Windows 10... using a new Product Key I just purchased.
    • I have tried to do this internally, and also using the ISO burned to a thumb drive. But it does not want to work.
    • Steps:
      • Start from USB drive.
      • Enter New Product Key (or click "I don't have one").
      • Install initiates and then tells me to restart from Windows and then open the installer again to continue.
        • At this point, I actually need to Quit the installation to restart the machine.
      • When restarted, I go to the USB drive and restart/resume the installation process.
      • I have tried to download and not to download updates, but when the installation fails, I see the message, "Something happened" and "Setup has failed to validate the product key".
      • NOTE This happens if I enter the NEW Windows 10 Product Key, or if I skip that step (which I assume means that it will use the old Windows 7 Key for the upgrade).

EliSherer, Nov 23, 2019
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't

my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't

1. I'm moving to a new computer, my product key won't - Similar Threads - I'm moving computer

2. My Windows Product Key Won't Activate on My New PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows Product Key Won't Activate on My New PC: Hi, I bought a Windows 7 CD that comes with the product key and have been using it without problem for 10+ years.I just built a new PC and connected my SSD with the Windows installed Windows 10 - free upgrade from the product key I own with Win 7 purchase. Now it says to...
  3. My Windows Product Key Won't Activate on My New PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows Product Key Won't Activate on My New PC: Hi, I bought a Windows 7 CD that comes with the product key and have been using it without problem for 10+ years.I just built a new PC and connected my SSD with the Windows installed Windows 10 - free upgrade from the product key I own with Win 7 purchase. Now it says to...
  4. My Windows Product Key Won't Activate on My New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. No product key on new staples computer

No product key on new staples computer: Hi there! I just recieved a new computer from staples that is supposed to come with a windows 10 product key sticker on the computer, but there isn't one! I'm trying to contact staples but was wondering if there's anyway to fix it directly with microsoft. Thanks!...
  6. Windows 10 won't accept my new product key

Windows 10 won't accept my new product key: After a hard drive crash, I purchased a new drive and a new license for Windows 10 pro from Amazon. My system was previously the Home edition. I installed the new copy of Windows using the USB drive per instructions. After installation I am seeing that my system is still the...
  7. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  8. Windows Product key on a New computer.

Windows Product key on a New computer.: Hi, I was going to build a new computer, meaning that I would need another copy of windows 10 home. I purchased a CD installation of windows 10 home and a product key, I was wondering if I would be able to use that product key and CD installation from 2016 to use for my...
  9. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. Windows Product Key on a new computer

Windows Product Key on a new computer: Hi. I bought my kids laptop computers recently. One is a Surface and one is a Lenovo. If I am not mistaken, there is no Windows 10 DVD that ships with the laptop. So, if, years from now, my kids need to reinstall the OS, they will need a Windows 10 product key, right?...