Windows 10: I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask...

Discus and support I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have this MSI gaming laptop which I have owned for more than four years now. It used to perform most games very well on high graphic settings. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/one_one_three, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask...

So I have this MSI gaming laptop which I have owned for more than four years now. It used to perform most games very well on high graphic settings. But over the years I feel like I've hastily downloaded the wrong stuff, went to the "wrong" sites, and so on, and now the games that I've used to play are no longer running as great as they used to, and there's a ton of fps spikes going on. My apps also run much slower and sometimes they stop responding while loading before working again. Things take longer to open and close, sometimes they just crash, etc.

I've tried several things in an attempt to overcome these problems but nothing seems to be working out, so I've figured that a reformat would be the way to go. I haven't actually done a thing like this before, so I'd like to know:

1. Is it okay for me to do this by myself?
    2. I have my data backed up on an external portable hard drive. Should that be good enough for the backup situation?
    3. Should I just stick with the conventional way of doing it via the windows settings/control panel? Or is there a more better, recommended way?
    4. Will my google chrome bookmarks be removed? I'm talking about the ones in my bookmarks bar and 'other bookmarks' folder in google chrome. There's a ton of them and they're kinda very important.
    5. I have a 1TB D: drive on my laptop. Would any data on there be erased as well?
    6. If the answer to question 5 is 'no', I have Steam installed on that particular hard drive. So will Steam be there after I reformat it? If so, will the games be automatically installed when I re-open the Library? Will I have to regain my progress manually (like will the data from the games be removed?)
    7. Will the software that came with my laptop still be there? For example, there is a software called the MSI Dragon Center that came with my particular laptop. Will that still be there after the reformat?
    submitted by /u/one_one_three
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/one_one_three, Nov 30, 2020

2. Reformatting Laptop

I'm planning to reformat my laptop and in the Activation tab it says that i have a digital license activated and linked to a microsoft account. My question is if i reformat my laptop would it wipe the Windows 10? I purchased this laptop not knowing if
    windows 10 is the default OS or it was installed by the store.

The main reason why i'm reformatting my laptop is because of USB mass storage driver is faulty and no update or installation is fixing it, i even contacted microsoft agents and ASUS agents (my laptop is ASUS x507ubr) and tried all the things they said from
    system recovery upto downloading manually of specific drivers. Finally i decided to take it into the local ASUS store so that they could take a look and they said the only way is reformatting a laptop. They suggested that if i know how to do it i should do
    it so i wont take extra charges. Hence my question above.

Regi Manuel, Nov 30, 2020
  3. CJCerny Win User
    Laptop driver/reformat question

This is excellent advice. Writing down the list of installed devices prior to re-formatting will save you a lot of heartache. With that list, you won't have to try to figure out exactly which wireless card or web cam driver you need since there will likely be several to choose from.

CJCerny, Nov 30, 2020
  4. jaypels Win User

I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask...

Reformat upgraded win10 laptop

Is there a way to know what my license number is? Laptop is not with me at the moment so I could not check it. I believe it still has the sticker where the license is printed at. Does it retain the old license or a new one is made when I upgraded to Win10?

Second question, what would be the best step in reformatting the laptop? Is there an option in Win10 where it would reformat and come back immediately to Win10?

jaypels, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask...

1. I'm planning to reformat my windows 10 laptop and I have some question's I'd like to ask... - Similar Threads - I'm planning reformat

2. I have a problem on all sides with factory resetting my PC, and I'd like some help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a problem on all sides with factory resetting my PC, and I'd like some help.: So I initially was having start up issues where it couldn't find the Operating Systems. So When I finally restarted the PC enough and got in I went to reset it as too clear all and reinstall Windows hoping that would fix the problem. I was then met with "Could not find...
  3. I have a problem on all sides with factory resetting my PC, and I'd like some help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a problem on all sides with factory resetting my PC, and I'd like some help.: So I initially was having start up issues where it couldn't find the Operating Systems. So When I finally restarted the PC enough and got in I went to reset it as too clear all and reinstall Windows hoping that would fix the problem. I was then met with "Could not find...
  4. Have a very technical question I'd like answers to. Here we go:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have a very technical question I'd like answers to. Here we go:: So I have been having some rather serious issues with my windows machine for quite awhile now, and some even seem to persist through clean installs of both Win10 Home & Pro, as well as Win11 Home & Pro. Some of the issues include: NT SYSTEM AUTHORITY user making changes to...
  5. Have a very technical question I'd like answers to. Here we go:

Have a very technical question I'd like answers to. Here we go:: So I have been having some rather serious issues with my windows machine for quite awhile now, and some even seem to persist through clean installs of both Win10 Home & Pro, as well as Win11 Home & Pro. Some of the issues include: NT SYSTEM AUTHORITY user making changes to...
  6. I have a non Windows device and I'd like to run Windows on it

I have a non Windows device and I'd like to run Windows on it: I just got a gaming laptop Gigabyte G5 KD but its operating system is Endless when I thought it was OS free and it's not letting me download microsoft windows... I'm not a computer expert, could someone please help me change or add a new OS, I want Windows 11. Thank you...
  7. I have a few windows keys and I'd like some assistance using one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have a few windows keys and I'd like some assistance using one: I'm upgrading my girlfriends PC, it had Windows 7 which I upgraded to 10. We never attached a microsoft account to this PC so the 'key' didn't get attached to anything. I still have the windows 7 key. Can this be used again and upgrade to 10?The PC I'm using for her upgrade...
  8. Hello, I have a weird app enabled on startup and i'd like some help on it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hello, I have a weird app enabled on startup and i'd like some help on it: So, when I checked what apps open on startup, I found this strange one, named Program. Is it some malware or is this a necessary app? How can I find more about it, because I see it for the first time. Thanks in advance. [ATTACH]...
  9. I am planning to format and reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and I have a couple of questions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am planning to format and reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and I have a couple of questions.: Hello! I wanted to proceed with a fresh install of Windows 10 after having multiple issues with the current state of my laptop. The laptop came with a pre-installed copy of Windows 10 Home Single Language. It says that I have a digital license for the same. Anyways, I...
  10. I'm not really asking a question...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm not really asking a question...: Until recently, I thought Microsoft was fantastic. I never had any problems with the Operating Systems, or software, and customer service was always willing to help no matter what the problem. Things have changed so drastically that I can't even use Windows anymore without...