Windows 10: I'm running a full scan and it's taking over 30 hours to complete.

Discus and support I'm running a full scan and it's taking over 30 hours to complete. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm running a full virus scan and the more files it scans the higher the estimated completion time goes. It's now over 30 hours.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mary.C.ms, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mary.C.ms Win User

I'm running a full scan and it's taking over 30 hours to complete.

I'm running a full virus scan and the more files it scans the higher the estimated completion time goes. It's now over 30 hours.

:)

Mary.C.ms, Sep 17, 2018

2. Quick scan takes hours to complete

Hi BTC55,

Do you notice where Windows Defender takes most time? You might want to check if there's an update waiting for that specific apps or file. Here's how:

• Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
    • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found.
    • Install every important updates found and restart your PC once it's done.

Most of the time, Windows scans your device regularly when it is not in use so it doesn't interfere with your work. But you can always choose or schedule Windows Defender Antivirus to scan ar a time and frequency that you choose.

Keep us posted with the result. I will be glad to help you.

Justine Pel, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Quick scan takes hours to complete

It is not uncommon for some security scans to take many hours while others finish quickly.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware
    scan depends on a variety of factors.

• The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both...see

How an Anti-virus Program Works
    • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
    • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
    • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
    • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
    • A computer's hard drive size.
    • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
    • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
    • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
    • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
    • Other running processes and programs in the background.
    • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
    • Interference from malware.
    • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
    • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
    • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).

To speed up a scan,
    temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools
    you are using, close all open programs,
    do not use the computer during the scan and perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one. You can also speed up a scan by using file exclusions...What
    Files Should You Exclude?

quietman7 - MVP, Sep 17, 2018
  4. nitepony Win User

full scan is taking at ;east 12 hours to complete

guess it would depend on the size of your hard drives and speed of your machine I have 3 TB and it only took 3 hours

nitepony, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

1. I'm running a full scan and it's taking over 30 hours to complete. - Similar Threads - I'm running full

2. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  3. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  4. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  5. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  6. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows Defender full scan taken over 24 hours and still running ...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender full scan taken over 24 hours and still running ...: Hi there About 9.15am yesterday I initiated a full scan. This morning, over 24 hours later it is still running. Late last night it said there was just over an hour left, this morning it says there is nearly 4 hours left. Some time yesterday evening a red cross appeared...
  8. Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours

Windows Defender Full Scan takes 35 Hours: Hello, recently I have undated Windows Version(1903) and runed a full scan on Windows Defender. It writes, that 35 Hours is needed to complete a scan. Is this normal ? (No other antivirus Software is installed on PC). Earlier such a scan needed max 2 hours. Thanks for...
  9. running a scan and it says it is going to take 30 hours to complete

running a scan and it says it is going to take 30 hours to complete: I'm running a full virus scan and the more files it scans the higher the estimated completion time goes. It's now over 30 hours....
  10. Quick scan takes hours to complete

Quick scan takes hours to complete: What is going on with quick scan? I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run. Also is there a setting to run automatically. It is set to run real-time so is a scheduled scan unnecessary?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can a antivirus scan run longer than 10 hours