Windows 10: I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

Discus and support I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; anything I can do don't want to get locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kylearchibald, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM.

1. kylearchibald Win User

I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

anything I can do don't want to get locked

:)

kylearchibald, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM
  2. RichardTate1949 Win User

locked out of computer by phone scammer

I have been locked out of my desktop by a phone scammer. He had info about my computer that lead me to believe he was genuine. I stupidly allowed them to remotely access my computer. When they asked for $ to "renew my firewall", I declined. Finally
    shut computer off to escape. Now I cannot get back on. What can I do now?

RichardTate1949, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:20 AM
  3. stocktiki Win User
    Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out.

System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10 Home.

Scammer from "AOL" calls my dad and says his computer is corrupted. My Dad (sadly) gave him remote access. Scammer installed a password using Syskey startup. Now, on startup, Dad gets a black screen with message "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below."

He's tried to get into the F8 menu by turning on PC and pressing F8, but the system goes straight into the password.

Can anyone help? Is there an easy fix I can help my Dad do remotely by talking him over it the phone?
    I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer [​IMG]

4. DaveM121 Win User

Microsoft Scammer - Remote Access to my Computer

Hi T1R027

This is very common these days, these scammers are not technically proficient and rely upon an innocent user to give them remote access

If you have Reset Windows 10, you have done the right thing, you have nothing to worry about and no need to clean install Windows

These Tech support scammers typically add software to remote to the PC, they then deliberately corrupt Windows in order to scam money from the user.

Once you have Reset Windows, anything they have done to that PC will be removed, there is no need to re-format and re-install

Thema:

1. I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer - Similar Threads - I'm scared shut

2. PC unexpected shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC unexpected shut down: My pc lately has been shutting down for no reason. I changed the power cable and it still didn't help. I don't think that it is my PSU fault cause it didn't have this problem + it is a Gigabyte 700W PSU (B700H). I checked Event viewer and it was like this :...
  3. CMD shutting down my pc randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CMD shutting down my pc randomly: After some seconds a cmd opens and my pc shutts off, I know that isnt any hardware problem because in other users it it runs fine. I'll try to link a video of it soon....
  4. My PC comes back on after I shut it down

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My PC comes back on after I shut it down: For the last couple of months, my PC restarts, even when I select Shutdown from the options. I turn it off manually when it does that. Tonight when I came home from being out for dinner, my PC was on, and there was a notification that MS had installed updates. I know with...
  5. PC is not shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is not shutting down: i have windows 10 and hp elitbook 8460p laptop but when i am clicking on shutdown or hibernate the screen goes black and black forever. until my laptop battery come empty, i also changed windows but now in this windows first some times it shut down, but now it is also not...
  6. PC shut down suddenly

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shut down suddenly: OS: Windows 10 PRO 64 bits. versión 1709 - compilación 16299.64 Processor: Intel i5 x 64 bits Mother: Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN) MSG de Error en visor de eventos: svchost (4384,D,46) SRUJet: Error: la página de base...
  7. PC shuts down quickly

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down quickly: (Sorry...I had a stroke about 6 months ago so I'm very slow. I'm trying to teach/train myself all the stuff I had for years) We have ab i5 PC, it starts up, shows the Acer start up and then almost immediately powers down. Any help/advise on restarting the PC please?...
  8. PC keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    PC keeps shutting down: My win 10 pc keeps shutting down when left inactive for any length of time. I have checked the power options page, see screenshot [img] Is there anything here that I need to change? Thanks in advance. I have just disabled hybrid sleep to see if this solves the...
  9. Microsoft continues campaign to shut down stupid software pirates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft continues campaign to shut down stupid software pirates: Microsoft continues campaign to shut down stupid software pirates Like a bank robber who uses the same get-away car dozens of times, alleged thieves used the same IP address to activate more than 1,000 copies of Windows and Office Microsoft this week filed another...
  10. PC randomly shuts down.

in Windows 10 Support
    PC randomly shuts down.: Hi, I have a dell xps 8300 running windows 10 pro v1511 which was clean installed a few weeks ago. Sometimes when I cold boot my computer the computer shuts down unexpectedly on the windows 10 splash screen. I have unplugged everything from my PSU apart from my windows...