Windows 10: I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

Discus and support I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; anything I can do don't want to get locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kylearchibald, Oct 11, 2018.

1. I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

anything I can do don't want to get locked

:)

kylearchibald, Oct 11, 2018

2. locked out of computer by phone scammer

I have been locked out of my desktop by a phone scammer. He had info about my computer that lead me to believe he was genuine. I stupidly allowed them to remotely access my computer. When they asked for $ to "renew my firewall", I declined. Finally
    shut computer off to escape. Now I cannot get back on. What can I do now?

RichardTate1949, Oct 11, 2018
  3. stocktiki Win User
    Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out.

System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10 Home.

Scammer from "AOL" calls my dad and says his computer is corrupted. My Dad (sadly) gave him remote access. Scammer installed a password using Syskey startup. Now, on startup, Dad gets a black screen with message "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below."

He's tried to get into the F8 menu by turning on PC and pressing F8, but the system goes straight into the password.

Can anyone help? Is there an easy fix I can help my Dad do remotely by talking him over it the phone?
    I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer [​IMG]

stocktiki, Oct 11, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

Microsoft Scammer - Remote Access to my Computer

Hi T1R027

This is very common these days, these scammers are not technically proficient and rely upon an innocent user to give them remote access

If you have Reset Windows 10, you have done the right thing, you have nothing to worry about and no need to clean install Windows

These Tech support scammers typically add software to remote to the PC, they then deliberately corrupt Windows in order to scam money from the user.

Once you have Reset Windows, anything they have done to that PC will be removed, there is no need to re-format and re-install

DaveM121, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer

1. I'm scared to shut down my pc, I stupidly gave access to a scammer - Similar Threads - I'm scared shut

2. I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC: Hi. I'm getting BSOD while shutting down my pc after using it for 3-4 hours. It just says shutting down for 2-3 minutes and gives BSOD. When I try to shutdown after 10-20 minutes of usage it shutdowns with no problem. I'm on Windows 11. I'm linking my minidump files below....
  3. I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC: Hi. I'm getting BSOD while shutting down my pc after using it for 3-4 hours. It just says shutting down for 2-3 minutes and gives BSOD. When I try to shutdown after 10-20 minutes of usage it shutdowns with no problem. I'm on Windows 11. I'm linking my minidump files below....
  4. Shutting my computer down with an update and it won’t shut down. I’m scared to unplug the...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutting my computer down with an update and it won’t shut down. I’m scared to unplug the...: Mouse, keyboard, and monitors are all off as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-my-computer-down-with-an-update-and-it/e7214da5-4b34-4608-bf87-2f0bb6a86f70
  5. Shutting my computer down with an update and it won’t shut down. I’m scared to unplug the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutting my computer down with an update and it won’t shut down. I’m scared to unplug the...: Mouse, keyboard, and monitors are all off as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-my-computer-down-with-an-update-and-it/e7214da5-4b34-4608-bf87-2f0bb6a86f70
  6. Shutting my computer down with an update and it won’t shut down. I’m scared to unplug the...

7. I'm scared of shutting down my laptop now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm scared of shutting down my laptop now: Sorry but I'm really scare of shutting down my laptop now.I just started upgrading my windows from 10 to 11 through a Tik Tok I saw, they say to head to the official websites and download I did it and it worked, perfectly fine as of anything though it's true that takes a long...
  8. I'm scared of shutting down my laptop now

I'm scared of shutting down my laptop now: Sorry but I'm really scare of shutting down my laptop now.I just started upgrading my windows from 10 to 11 through a Tik Tok I saw, they say to head to the official websites and download I did it and it worked, perfectly fine as of anything though it's true that takes a long...
  9. This might be really stupid, but I just gave my pc to a shop and they installed a new...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This might be really stupid, but I just gave my pc to a shop and they installed a new...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hisilo123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjtdfh/this_might_be_really_stupid_but_i_just_gave_my_pc/
  10. I Reset my PC = Stupid Stupid Stupid !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Reset my PC = Stupid Stupid Stupid !: My computer was running slow. Acting up. So I reset my PC. Seemed friendly enough. It should be called "Wipe out Everything" and welcome to Edge. Is there anyway to undo this and get all of my stuff back? Apps removed while resetting your PC App namePublisherVersion Adobe...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I stupidly gave remote access to scammer