Windows 10: I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up...

Discus and support I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just can't figure it out, and google is failing me. It's a relatively new installation of W10, too. For instance, .jpg and .png files. Right now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DrewbieWanKenobie, May 9, 2020.

1. I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up...

I just can't figure it out, and google is failing me. It's a relatively new installation of W10, too.

For instance, .jpg and .png files. Right now, they open in the windows default photo viewer, which I hate. So I downloaded my old favorite, IrfanView. I told it to set as default in installation, but of course that never really works in Windows 10 anymore anyway

So I went to the default apps and... https://imgur.com/a/PCq5He3

No option. No option to select anywhere either. It's also the same for choosing my default Video player btw, I can't change it to my installation of MPC-HC

So, I think, well I'll do that thing where I right click the file and choose a program and check the box that says "Always use this program", right?

https://imgur.com/a/ddYpucD

No checkbox. It'll open in the thing I choose, but there's no checkbox to set it to always do so. That's a new one for me.

So I scour google, I find a bunch of unanswered questions and solutions that are basically just telling me to do things I've already tried. I even found a post of a guy who had the same problem who said he solved it by going through control panel instead of the regular windows settings, but, alas... Control Panel seems to now just send you back to normal windows settings.

I also found some program that's supposed to let you do this kind of thing called "Default Programs Editor" but when I try to use it, it just tells me it couldn't change it due to a registry permissions issue. Then it recommended I export the change as a reg file and merge that, but that also just gave me an error

Basically, I'm just working myself up at this point, getting pissed at windows, not knowing what I did wrong, and... I just need some help. Can anyone help me?

submitted by /u/DrewbieWanKenobie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DrewbieWanKenobie, May 9, 2020

2. Setting Default Apps in the Settings app doesn't work

I have the same problem but I would like to set the Iron browser to default. I can set any browser when using set default by apps but SRware Iron does not even show up on the apps list. It is installed. I even reinstalled it as someone else suggested.
    Why is this the only browser that I cannot set as default.

joyceMcintyre43, May 9, 2020
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 9, 2020
  4. kormath Win User

I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up...

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up... :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 9, 2020
Thema:

I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up...

1. I'm suddenly having a very weird problem with setting default apps and it's driving me up... - Similar Threads - I'm suddenly having

2. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very very weird problem with my mouse: Some days ago I plugged the main m.2SSD of a friend in my pc forgetting to remove my main sata ssd from the mobo, I got some problems and had to remove the m.2 and restart the bios, once i got back on windows I saw that I could open the apps on the task bar double clicking...
  3. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very very weird problem with my mouse: Some days ago I plugged the main m.2SSD of a friend in my pc forgetting to remove my main sata ssd from the mobo, I got some problems and had to remove the m.2 and restart the bios, once i got back on windows I saw that I could open the apps on the task bar double clicking...
  4. Very very weird problem with my mouse

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. my mouse is having a very weird problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my mouse is having a very weird problem: As i said in the title my mouse has a very weird problem and i dont really know who to describe. Example when i lauch a game roblox or valorant ect i click in an icon and it doesnt work its like my screen shows the icon there but it isnt there to click the icon i need to...
  6. my mouse is having a very weird problem

my mouse is having a very weird problem: As i said in the title my mouse has a very weird problem and i dont really know who to describe. Example when i lauch a game roblox or valorant ect i click in an icon and it doesnt work its like my screen shows the icon there but it isnt there to click the icon i need to...
  7. Very weird but serious problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very weird but serious problem: My gaming computer is a year old and now its slow and deleting files.Files that I created are deleted, the files that I deleted came back...I created two bait text files to see if it would do the same and it did. Text files were gone. I also deleted two pictures to see if...
  8. I'm having a weird problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm having a weird problem: Hello, I'm experiencing a pretty strange problem that has never happened before. It first occurred about five days ago. Here's the issue: Whenever I start my computer after having turned it off, the the touchpad on my laptop isn't working properly. The best way to explain it...
  9. I'm having a very weird problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm having a very weird problem: So my computer is making white noise. Not the hardware itself, it is digitally making it. It just randomly happens and won't go away. And it's not just pure white noise, there's some other types of noise as well. It just started yesterday. It isnt a problem with the...
  10. Setting Default App Problem

Setting Default App Problem: I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses to change. How can I PERMANENTLY set my...