Windows 10: I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions

Discus and support I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One: should i create a new installation or just use drive copying software? Cause the ssd i want is 240gb while the original hard drive is 450gb and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SandyPlayz86, Oct 27, 2020.

1. I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions

One: should i create a new installation or just use drive copying software? Cause the ssd i want is 240gb while the original hard drive is 450gb and with windows 10 and some apps installed such as eclipse for java, and microsoft edge, and minecraft java/bedrock, and some default apps, and the storage is sitting at 399gb to 395gb.

Two: will i have to reinstall the drivers if i create a new installation?

Three: would a ssd reduce cpu stress and expand battery life?

:)

SandyPlayz86, Oct 27, 2020
  2. bobkn Win User

Thinking about getting a 1TB m.2

My first thought was that using a 1TB SSD in what is basically a caching scheme is crazy.

On further thought, it's crazy.*Smile

I'd suggest getting this Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2000 MB/s (SB-RKTQ-1TB) - Newegg.com or this Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB) - Newegg.com as an alterative to Samsung. If you had a PCI-E 4.0 CPU + motherboard (you do not, at least in your My Computer listing), I'd suggest this: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive With Heatsink (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-1TB) - Newegg.com.

bobkn, Oct 27, 2020
  3. bobkn Win User
    M.2 SSD for Asus NX500J laptop

The Newegg link that you provide is to a PCI-E non-NVME SSD.

Crucial.com lists no M.2 SSD upgrades for the NX500JK. They list the M.2 slot only as PCI-E. (Crucial makes both PCI-E and SATA M.2 2280 drives. They appear to not make any non-NVME PCI-E M.2 SSDs.)

bobkn, Oct 27, 2020
  4. mcjclc Win User

I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions

M.2 SSD card

How do I get my Gemini laptop to recognize the M.2 SSD card

mcjclc, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions

1. I'm thinking about getting an SSD for my laptop now but I have questions - Similar Threads - I'm thinking getting

2. I'm about to buy a game on my laptop but I think I'll get a new one soon. Can I buy the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm about to buy a game on my laptop but I think I'll get a new one soon. Can I buy the...: I don't want to waste my money buying the same game twice and losing all my progress https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-about-to-buy-a-game-on-my-laptop-but-i-think/01d0fe7a-89db-4e1b-804d-2e3b9b7356e1
  3. I'm about to buy a game on my laptop but I think I'll get a new one soon. Can I buy the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm about to buy a game on my laptop but I think I'll get a new one soon. Can I buy the...: I don't want to waste my money buying the same game twice and losing all my progress https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-about-to-buy-a-game-on-my-laptop-but-i-think/01d0fe7a-89db-4e1b-804d-2e3b9b7356e1
  4. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a question with ssd: I am getting a new pc, Acer nitro 5 with new specs, upgrading from nitro 5 with old specs. If the pc i have comes with windows 11, and my old pc has windows 10 on it’s ssd, will i be able to pick up one of those usb ssd readers from amazon, plug it in my new pc, and switch...
  5. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a question with ssd: I am getting a new pc, Acer nitro 5 with new specs, upgrading from nitro 5 with old specs. If the pc i have comes with windows 11, and my old pc has windows 10 on it’s ssd, will i be able to pick up one of those usb ssd readers from amazon, plug it in my new pc, and switch...
  6. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. I have a question about my keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a question about my keyboard: I'm using an old Microsoft Windows XP keyboard and it has a few buttons at the top and I want to know if there's anyway I can use them. There's a favorites bar at the top right that had the numbers 1-5 and a bit to the left there are three buttons that are "documents"...
  8. I'm hopefully getting a new SSD today, but I have a question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I'm hopefully getting a new SSD today, but I have a question: Hello, my laptop was given to me used and, I've added new ram and salvaged a better wifi chip from an older laptop, but, my pc has been experiencing issues with crashing games and hang-ups so, i am thinking that windows and games freeze cause the laptop was dropped many times...
  9. Questions about moving to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about moving to an SSD: I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time doing this so I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. What is the best way to do it, a bootable USB-drive?...
  10. I'm thinking about going back to Windows 7 but have questions

in Windows 10 Support
    I'm thinking about going back to Windows 7 but have questions: If any of you read my post about going back to win 7 on the Sevenforum Win 7 sorry to make you read it again but I wanted to check everything before making a big dive and starting all over. Since I had Win 10 I have had issues, Microsoft has remotely connected to my system...