Windows 10: I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive

Discus and support I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I deleted the partition Windows RE tools OEM Partition in order to add 480GB of unallocated space to my main partition. I have the re tools partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephen_613, Feb 24, 2020.

1. I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive

I deleted the partition Windows RE tools OEM Partition in order to add 480GB of unallocated space to my main partition. I have the re tools partition on a recent backup of my pc. I tried using macrium reflect to put it back, but it wants to format my drive first. I tried EaseUS Partition master, Acronis True Image free, and mini partition tool. I created 490MB of unallocated space for them to clone to, but they all made the clone a visible primary partition, instead of a hidden healthy oem partition.

I just want to clone it to the unallocated 490MB, as a hidden oem recovery partition like before so it can be used for it's recovery purposes.

P.S. I also noticed after I deleted it, an inaccessible drive called SYSTEM Z: started showing in file explorer. I'm hoping restoring the re tools will get rid of it. I tried hiding it with diskpart but it keeps coming back whenever I restart sometimes it doesn't though.

I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive e0319551-2f26-44db-8a72-94e9d686afae?upload=true.png

:)

Stephen_613, Feb 24, 2020

2. Multiple partitions found when trying to clone C: drive

I am having a problem trying to clone my C: drive on my Windows 10 64-bit system.

I decided to install a new, bigger hard drive and clone my C: drive onto it. I noticed though that my C: drive has 6 separate partitions for some unknown reason.

300 MB recovery partition

99 MB EFI system partition

929.87 MB C: drive boot

450 MB recovery partition

350 MB recovery partition

350 MB recovery partition

I have no idea how I got so many!

I'd prefer the new drive to not have so many partitions when I clone it, but I have no idea if I should try to first delete some of the partitions prior to cloning (and if so, which ones), or to just try and clone only certain partitions onto the new drive
    (and again, if so, which ones).

Can anyone help me out here?

PaulRuzicka, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Darkmind Win User
    partition cloning help!

Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..

Darkmind, Feb 24, 2020
  4. slance310 Win User

I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive

Multiple partitions found when trying to clone C: drive

Hi,

Most all of the Recovery partitions were probably created as part of an upgrade...

You probably only had one to start with...

You can most likely do without them... I deleted mine...

Some of them may even be empty...

The biggest drawback to doing that is that if you want to do a reset or something, you may need installation media...

You need the EFI and C:\ drive boot... you may need the very 1st Recovery, but probably not...

I would suggest cloning just the EFI and C:\ and see what happens...

The cloning program may or may not let you skip the 1st one...

DO NOT boot the machine into Windows with BOTH drives hooked up... at least not yet...

slance310, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive

1. I'm trying to clone a partition back to my C drive - Similar Threads - I'm trying clone

2. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  3. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  4. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloning C Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning C Drive: I have a desktop computer running Win 10 and I want to copy/clone the C drive to an SSD for faster access. I intend using EaseUS Disk Copy, but I have what I consider to be a problem. My C and D (for Data) drives are partitions on one 500GB HDD, which is Drive 0. I also have...
  6. Cloning Drive C:/

Cloning Drive C:/: I bought a new hard drive so I could clone my main hard drive. The new drive was formatted after putting into an external hard drive bay connected using USB cable. I right clicked on my C:/ drive & chose copy. I then right clicked on my new hard drive F:/ and chose paste. It...
  7. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  8. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  9. Clone hard drive partition

Clone hard drive partition: I cloned hard drive A from hard drive B. Hard drive B had two partitions, two Windows operating systems cloned successfully to hard drive A. Recently Windows 10 took a dump on it's partition on hard drive A. My question is, do I boot from hard drive B to clone the Windows...
  10. Copy Updated C Partition to a previously cloned drive works ?

Copy Updated C Partition to a previously cloned drive works ?: I am planning to test the impact of upgrading to windows version 1803 from 1709 after a catastrophic failure at the beginning of this year . So basically I have had a disk drive upgrade where i cloned the older drive then reinstalled it as a second bootable drive on the...