Windows 10: I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck

Discus and support I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every forum and every article I read I do the steps and it keeps telling me zero encrypted out of two directories is it only because it’s a windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by williamN40, Jun 14, 2020.

1. I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck

Every forum and every article I read I do the steps and it keeps telling me zero encrypted out of two directories is it only because it’s a windows 10 home and not a windows 10 pro

:)

williamN40, Jun 14, 2020
  2. Ray Soy Win User

CMD cipher /e on a folder output "Request not supported"

I've recently discovered cipher command on windows-10 command-line.

Now, the problem is when I'm try to execute cipher /e [directory name] or cipher /e [absolute path], because I'm always receiving the error [directory name]: Request not supported..

Some useful info:

• I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    • I've executed the command as administrator either on 'cmd' and 'powershell'
    • The disk's file system is in 'NTFS'.
    • I've gave all the access to all the users in the 'Security' attribute on the interested folder(An empty folder for test purposes).

Could someone give me a hint/suggestion/solution about where the problem could be? Am I missing something important?

Ray Soy, Jun 14, 2020
  3. AngelMesa Win User
    Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Hi Comdervids,

I’m Independent Advisor willing to help you. I would suggest to enclose the folder's name in quotations and use backslashes instead of forward-slashes like this:

cipher /E C:\Desktop\Derek's things

Or cipher /E C:\Desktop\"Derek's things"

Or cipher /E "C:\Desktop\Derek's things"

Best Regards,

Angel.

AngelMesa, Jun 14, 2020
  4. I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck

Cipher /e

I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported.

Test is the name of the folder on my desktop which I want to encrypt.

C:\Users\king\Desktop>cipher /e Test

Encrypting files in C:\Users\king\Desktop\

Test [ERR]

Test: The request is not supported.

0 file(s) [or directorie(s)] within 1 directorie(s) were encrypted.

I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong. In reality, what I want to do in the end is encrypt a flash drive on D: via command prompt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

king.cipher, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck

1. I’m trying to use cipher /e With no luck - Similar Threads - I’m trying cipher

2. Various BSODs, tried everything, no luck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Various BSODs, tried everything, no luck: Hello!I have randomly been getting BSODs for about a week now on my laptop ThinkPad E480. On some days, I don't get any, on some other days 5. The stopcodes I have seen is usually critical process died, kernel page error, unrecoverable error, and something about power.This...
  3. Various BSODs, tried everything, no luck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Various BSODs, tried everything, no luck: Hello!I have randomly been getting BSODs for about a week now on my laptop ThinkPad E480. On some days, I don't get any, on some other days 5. The stopcodes I have seen is usually critical process died, kernel page error, unrecoverable error, and something about power.This...
  4. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  5. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  6. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No luck in trying to connect to my sony bluetooth speaker.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No luck in trying to connect to my sony bluetooth speaker.: Im already desperate to connect the Sony speaker via bluetooth, Doesn't connect and when it does connect, the audio is stutering. and even disconnect I've tried things like downloading the latest bluetooth driver for my ASUS S 15 Vivobook Laptop. please I want to make this...
  8. Cipher isn't working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cipher isn't working: I've used cipher.exe to delete unallocated space, and did everything said on many articles and websites, but after running through a recovery software, all the data still can be recovered, any reason? The command i used was cipher /wc:\ submitted by /u/vitamin-tristopher...
  9. Cipher /e

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cipher /e: I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported. Test is the name of the folder on my desktop which I want to encrypt. *****************************************************...
  10. bad luck

in Windows 10 Support
    bad luck: I'am new to the pc community and i want some advise from you guys about Windows 10 because i bought a pc with windows 7 enterprise in it ,before Microsoft announced the free Windows 10 upgrade and the worse part is that enterprise is't with the free package , now is there a...