Windows 10: I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another

Discus and support I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My first experiment with multiple desktops began well. I had a half dozen windows open on desktop 1 for one task, and simultaneously a half dozen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Orthoducks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another

My first experiment with multiple desktops began well. I had a half dozen windows open on desktop 1 for one task, and simultaneously a half dozen windows on desktop 2 for another task.

Then I tried to open a text file on desktop 1 when several were already open on desktop 2. The display lurched, and suddenly I was looking at the text editor on desktop 2, with the file for task 1 open along with all of the files for task 2.

It seems obvious that when I move rectangles of stuff from one desktop to another in task view, I'm movingwindows, not whole applications. If I open a file from desktop 1, it should openon desktop 1. Is that too much to ask?

BTW, the application is Notepad++, which is perfectly happy to let me tear off a tab to make a separate window, and move it to a different desktop. There's nothing about this that should force me to choose which desktop I want the application to run on.

:)

Orthoducks, Feb 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 27, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 27, 2020
  4. I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another

Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another

1. I'm working on one desktop, Windows 10 opens a file on another - Similar Threads - I'm working desktop

2. App files are on one drive but Windows 10 thinks they are on another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App files are on one drive but Windows 10 thinks they are on another: I installed IMSI DesignCAD 3D Max 2021 on my D: drive. Recently, I used EaseUS ToDo PCTrans to move the application from the D: drive to the C:. When I looked at applications listed on the D: drive by EaseUS ToDo PCTrans and also listed by Settings--> Apps & Features filtered...
  3. App files are on one drive but Windows 10 thinks they are on another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    App files are on one drive but Windows 10 thinks they are on another: I installed IMSI DesignCAD 3D Max 2021 on my D: drive. Recently, I used EaseUS ToDo PCTrans to move the application from the D: drive to the C:. When I looked at applications listed on the D: drive by EaseUS ToDo PCTrans and also listed by Settings--> Apps & Features filtered...
  4. I'm trying to share files and folders from one Windows 10 pc to another in the same LAN...

I'm trying to share files and folders from one Windows 10 pc to another in the same LAN...: I'm trying to share files and folders from one Windows 10 pc to another Windows 10 pc in the same LAN network but Can't!PC 1 is my laptop running Windows 10 Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1083PC 2 is my desktop running Windows 10 Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1083Both computers...
  5. Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.

Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.: Recently, files shared by a smll group of 6 people are constantly locked for editing because they are open by another user. however, no one has the file open and we are forced to restart the host computer to allow access. This just started about 3 weeks ago and it has...
  6. TRANSFER FILES FROM ONE DESKTOP (WIN10) TO ANOTHER DESKTOP (WIN10)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TRANSFER FILES FROM ONE DESKTOP (WIN10) TO ANOTHER DESKTOP (WIN10): I HAVE TWO LENOVO windows 10 desktops and want to transfer all my files and media to the other one. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files-from-one-desktop-win10-to-another/08490045-8898-4c7d-99c3-f50c0ca776d4
  7. how to work on a file from one computer to another

how to work on a file from one computer to another: How do I work on the same files on two computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-work-on-a-file-from-one-computer-to-another/78eb4d25-b8d4-4fad-9293-6cac4c5c8797
  8. Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10: How to: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 How to Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple...
  9. .bat file working on one windows 10 computer but not another, just giv

in Windows 10 Support
    .bat file working on one windows 10 computer but not another, just giv: I have a .bat file that works fine when being run on my main pc, but on a laptop that I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on, it does not work if I type it in and just gives me the error XXX is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or...
  10. Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another: This seems to be a tedious process of going to the task view, then finding the window and right clicking and sending it to another desktop. Is there something simpler? I was expecting a right click on the taskbar would give this option, but it does not. Is there a keyboard...