Windows 10: Image Backup errors after upgrading SSD C Drive

Discus and support Image Backup errors after upgrading SSD C Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from a 128Gb SSD to 500Gb SSD as my NVMe M.2 C Drive on Windows 10. After that my Image Backups have an error of 0x807800A1. I've verified... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wingba, Apr 11, 2019.

1. wingba Win User

Image Backup errors after upgrading SSD C Drive

I upgraded from a 128Gb SSD to 500Gb SSD as my NVMe M.2 C Drive on Windows 10. After that my Image Backups have an error of 0x807800A1. I've verified that Volume Shadow Copy service has over 10% size and is running. The Restore points are being created, so this appears to be okay.

I've checked the C disk for errors and tried two different USB drives (both NTFS formatted). I used one of these drives for the last year as my image backup disk without any issues. Also disabled my Norton Firewall and Anti-Virus, no luck.

Everything else on the PC seems to work great. I finally did my backups with Ease US, so I'm protected but still would like to resolve this. Any ideas for things for me to try or check?

One thing I did do, was install a 2Tb hard drive on the SATA1 for a TimeMachine type backup, but it isn't included in my image backups. The PC already had a 1Tb drive on SATA0 for D Drive to use for data.

:)

wingba, Apr 11, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Apr 11, 2019
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Vornoxem Win User

Backup "Create a system image" dialog does not list second hard drive as a target location

I have shrunk my D drive and created a new partition to see if it would let me back up to that partition instead. Now the new partition E is listed in the list, but it says it is on the same physical drive as my installation.

Image Backup errors after upgrading SSD C Drive 532e7627-d41e-4ac3-9a58-87dfd7d76088?upload=true.png

Now on the next 'Create a system image' screen, it does list D: as a 'System' drive that needs to be backed up (even if disk manager does not mention it as a system volume). You do not get a choice to exclude the D: drive. The disk manager gives no indication
    that D: is a System drive, so I looked around to figure out what can cause a data disk to be seen as a system drive. Supposedly, having any application installed on the D: drive can cause the whole D drive to be included in a 'System image'.

Robert Aldwinckle's comment suggests that saving file history on your secondary drive might influence it being seen as a necessary part of the system image backup. My D: drive was set as the location for file history, turning it off however had no influence
    on it being seen as a necessary part of the system image backup.

This answers my original question: A second drive/volume can be seen as a necessary part of the system image backup even if disk manager says it is not a 'System' volume. The "Create a system image" dialog will not show volumes that it deems part of what
    it needs to back up as a valid target. The 'Create a system image' dialog offers no configuration to exclude drives/volumes from its backup.

If I want to use the system image backup system to transfer my installation to a new SSD I will have to find storage large enough to fit the whole backup, C: and D: drive included. It is still unclear to me if the system image restore process will allow
    me to restore just the C: drive from the system image and ignore the D: drive, the new SSD isn't big enough to fit 2 partitions matching my old C: and D: drive in size.

Alternatively, I could use third party software to make a backup and restore only my C: volume. Although I am trying to avoid solutions that will require me to boot into windows with both the new SSD and the old C: SSD connected, since I had trouble with
    drive letter/boot order reassignment on a windows 7 to 10 upgrade before.

It might be less of a hassle to just use windows recovery to do a fresh install of windows on the new SSD and then manually copy over what I want to save from the old SSD.

Vornoxem, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Image Backup errors after upgrading SSD C Drive - Similar Threads - Image Backup errors

2. STATUS_WAIT_1 backup error after upgrading m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STATUS_WAIT_1 backup error after upgrading m.2 SSD: I had Windows 10 on a 128GB m.2/NVMe SSD stick inside my laptop. I have had no problems backing up the contents of my SSD. But then I decided that I needed more space, and cloned the entire contents of my 128GB SSD to a 250GB SSD...At the bottom Disk 1 is the contents of my...
  3. STATUS_WAIT_1 backup error after upgrading m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STATUS_WAIT_1 backup error after upgrading m.2 SSD: I had Windows 10 on a 128GB m.2/NVMe SSD stick inside my laptop. I have had no problems backing up the contents of my SSD. But then I decided that I needed more space, and cloned the entire contents of my 128GB SSD to a 250GB SSD...At the bottom Disk 1 is the contents of my...
  4. STATUS_WAIT_1 backup error after upgrading m.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. unable to do an image backup of C drive, keep getting error 0x80080005.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to do an image backup of C drive, keep getting error 0x80080005.: I want to migrate win 10 from spinning HD to a SSD, but am unable to do an image back up first as directions tell me to, I keep getting error 0x80080005. Did the whole renaming process under the run admin to no avail. I also did a re install of win 10 successfully, but that...
  6. unable to do an image backup of C drive, keep getting error 0x80080005.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to do an image backup of C drive, keep getting error 0x80080005.: I want to migrate win 10 from spinning HD to a SSD, but am unable to do an image back up first as directions tell me to, I keep getting error 0x80080005. Did the whole renaming process under the run admin to no avail. I also did a re install of win 10 successfully, but that...
  7. unable to do an image backup of C drive, keep getting error 0x80080005.

8. Upgrade C Drive 500GB SSD to 1 or 2TB SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade C Drive 500GB SSD to 1 or 2TB SSD?: If I take my pc into my local pc man and ask him to do the above, can he guarantee crossing over ALL the data on the current drive. There is so much on there I don't want to lose anything and I don't trust restore or suchlike as its never been good to me in the past. Looking...
  9. Backup c drive

Backup c drive: how do I backup complete C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-c-drive/e75a9059-c42d-4051-af2a-7a234bb39691
  10. Drive not showing full capacity after installing image backup to new ssd drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive not showing full capacity after installing image backup to new ssd drive.: Hi, I upgraded to a bigger ssd drive after the old one became quite full. I used an image backup to do this. All works well after the reinstallation of the new drive. Only problem is my new ssd drive does not show it's full capacity. I still says it is full in file explorer....