Windows 10: Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?

Discus and support Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have tended over the years to use Windows' own image backup, which I have found no less reliable than any 3rd. party software I have used (like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by martinlest, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?

I have tended over the years to use Windows' own image backup, which I have found no less reliable than any 3rd. party software I have used (like Macrium).

I use Windows 7 far more often than 10 on my dual boot PC, but gradually that is changing... unfortunately. Still much prefer Windows 7, but obviously that's becoming less and less viable as time goes on.

My question is, on such a dual-boot PC, will an image of the Windows 10 drive (on a different physical disc from Windows 7, all SSDs BTW) made in Windows 7 work as a boot partition if it were restored via Windows 7 to the same location? Or would it be unbootable for some reason? Seems to me that an image is an image is an image, but...

O/S = Win7 x64 & Win10 Pro

Thanks.

:)

martinlest, Aug 30, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

Install windows 10, 7 or both on my desktop pc?!

Here's what I would do, I'd get a backup USB HDD and create a backup image of your system with Windows 7.

Use Macrium Reflect Free to do this. That way you can simply restore your Windows 7 image at the moment you backed it up and have things back to normal. Even if you don't upgrade your OS, and want to dual boot...I'd do a total backup first.

Then upgrade to Windows 10 and see what you do/don't like. I have done both upgrade and fresh install paths, both generally work pretty well...and have their pro's/con's. You have 30-days to rollback from a 10 upgrade as well.

I haven't dual booted 10 with anything but 8. Dual booting Windows can be a finicky affair but is generally doable.

https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Here Is a Free Way to Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10 - MiniTool
    You may need to learn how to manage the Windows boot manager in the future, but it is WAY better than it was 10 years ago! So odds are you'll be fine if you go that route.

Frankly I'd run 10 and call it a day, but to each their own. Many folk still prefer 7, and it is still a very good OS. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Dual Boot Setup 10 and 8.1 and 10 and 7 using image backup / restore

I have multiple computers with Dual Boot setups and have questions about the correct way to do system image backups to be able to restore only one OS in event of issues. After cloning hard drive that already had dual boot with 10 and 7 working successfully, the new hard drive would not boot Win 7, only Win 10. Both OS versions were visible, from both 10 and 7 dual boot menus. I had taken image backups from within each of the OS software, and tried to do a restore of the win 7 from the win 10 recovery media ( i did not want to risk doing a restore from Win 7 recovery media that would not be aware of the newer OS.). It found the Win 7 OS and the backup image when I selected the win 7 OS from the restore option, but it wanted to delete all other partitions on the drive (only one hard drive on system), which would have wiped out the working Win 10 partition.

Is it possible to restore only one OS partition from System Image Restore for dual boot setups using one hard drive, and, if so what is the image creation scenario and image restore scenario to follow.

I had a system image that I created in Win 7 (system and OS partition option) before I did a clean install of Windows 10 to a new Partition. I created a system image of Windows 10 after the successful install. I set up dual boot and was able to access both version of the OS successfully multiple times. I cloned to a new, larger hard drive and was able to access the Win 10 partition, but got an error ( unable to boot from partition) and wanted to restore only the Win 7 partition from win 10 recovery media. It found the OS and the image restore set, but wanted to delete all other partitions on the hard drive. I wound up re-cloning the hard drive.

Is there a known process for being able to use the existing windows tools to create system images for each OS in a dual boot system and be able to restore one or the other

Do you have to do a system image backup from Win 10, and include all partitions on the drive and then restore everything if you have a problem with either?

Any thoughts or suggestions how to be able to use system image backups to maintain a dual boot system with maximum flexibility on the restore side of things?

kmfkevster, Aug 30, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)?

1. Image backup in Windows dual boot PC (7/10)? - Similar Threads - Image backup dual

2. Windows 10 BSOD Loop, into Windows 7 dual boot backup repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD Loop, into Windows 7 dual boot backup repair: My windows 10 BSOD'd with a stop code: critical process died death loop I tried to system restored a week prior it seems to have made it worse. I reverted back to my windows 7 dual boot and things are peachy on it, every thing works fine its not a hardware issue. From windows...
  3. Windows 10 BSOD Loop, into Windows 7 dual boot backup repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 BSOD Loop, into Windows 7 dual boot backup repair: My windows 10 BSOD'd with a stop code: critical process died death loop I tried to system restored a week prior it seems to have made it worse. I reverted back to my windows 7 dual boot and things are peachy on it, every thing works fine its not a hardware issue. From windows...
  4. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  5. How to Verify Windows Image Backup Restore in a Dual Boot PC?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Verify Windows Image Backup Restore in a Dual Boot PC?: I am dual booting Win 8.1 Pro (original) with Win 10 Pro (Added) on a single Samsung SSD on my desktop PC. The default OS for boot up is Win 10 Pro, however I usually work in Win 8.1 Pro by manually switching to it at the blue boot menu at startup. As the rule, Windows always...
  6. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  7. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  8. Dual Boot Setup 10 and 8.1 and 10 and 7 using image backup / restore

Dual Boot Setup 10 and 8.1 and 10 and 7 using image backup / restore: I have multiple computers with Dual Boot setups and have questions about the correct way to do system image backups to be able to restore only one OS in event of issues. After cloning hard drive that already had dual boot with 10 and 7 working successfully, the new hard drive...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...