Windows 10: Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

Discus and support Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am in the process of setting up a new HP computer, Win 10, Ver 1803, Build 17134.191. It has a partition with the O/S etc. on it to restore. 1) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sunnyshine, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

I am in the process of setting up a new HP computer, Win 10, Ver 1803, Build 17134.191. It has a partition with the O/S etc. on it to restore.

1) I want to make an image of the new computer disk on an external disk in case the new disk goes bad. Should I make the image immediately while the new computer is "clean", or do I install my programs and then make the image? Or should I just be making an image of the restore partition?

2) How much risk is there in using just the Windows Image feature? How likely is it that Microsoft is really going to withdraw it at any point?

3) What is the best alternative to Windows image? I've been considering Backupper Standard.

Thank you for your assistance.

RB

:)

sunnyshine, Jan 3, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 3, 2020
  3. Move Win 10 to new disk with NEW system partitions, but keep files AND other installed programs?

I have the current version of Win 10 installed. My system partition is too small and there is plenty of available space on the drive. However, the recovery partitions to the left and right of my system partition are preventing me from expanding the system
    partition to include other available space on the drive. I don't want to go the dynamic disc route; I'd rather have a properly installed win 10 version with a single, large sys partition.

I want to keep my current Windows installation (including files, apps, settings, other installed programs, etc.), but I want to change the partitions for the new installation.

Is there a way to either (a) do a new install of Win 10 on the new disk, then somehow "restore" my current version to that disk, which should have new restore and sys partitions, or possibly (2) backup my current system then restore it to the new drive,
    simultaneously creating new restore and sys partitions?

Just copying an image obviously doesn't do the trick, because that retains the restore partitions I don't want. Installing a clean version solves the partitions problem, but is there a way to do that and then "restore" my existing files AND currently installed
    programs and settings?

Anyone know of any other solutions?

What would happen if I copy only the current sys partition to a new drive sans recovery partitions?

That Can't Be Good, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer? [​IMG]

Easiest way is just to mount it through disk management.

cyberrufus, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

1. Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer? - Similar Threads - Image disk before

2. New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace: New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-with-win-10-how-to-install-win-7-with/d1fc2fc3-5532-4779-9b3d-58634aa19bf4
  3. After Win 10 installation on new disk, Win 7 gets stuck on Win splash screen

After Win 10 installation on new disk, Win 7 gets stuck on Win splash screen: I had some issues trying to update Win 7 to 10 Pro. So I decided to disconnect the old hard drives, and do a fresh install on a new drive. That install went fine. I then reconnected the old drives, and told the PC to boot off of the Windows Boot manager for the drive...
  4. New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates: A few days ago I bought a new computer, set it up and turned it on. In order to continue it asked me for my Microsoft account code number. Now my other computer that was up to date with win 10 I have a pin number that I use. So I had to create a account using a code number....
  5. Disk image for Win 10 Education

Disk image for Win 10 Education: I am getting ready to build a new PC and recieved a product key from my university. I woud like to create a boot drive and was curious if there is a specific ISO that I need to download for the Education edition....
  6. Photo program options with new Win 10 computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo program options with new Win 10 computer.: I have just bought a new Computer with Windows 10, I was on 8.1. I do a lot of Photo work, and have my photo files very well organised and use Photoshop. I have been reading about the Photo App issues with Win 10, ie moving and categorizing photos in the background, making...
  7. install additional memory before or after Win 10 install

in Windows 10 Support
    install additional memory before or after Win 10 install: I have a Win 10 iso that I download in August but have not yet installed. I have 12 GB memory installed now but I want to increase to 24 GB while I still have Win 7 installed, and then continue running Win 7 for a while longer. I'm assuming that the license associated...
  8. Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10

Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10: Sorry for the newb question, but this is a great place for all things Win 10 already, so here goes.. For the best possible win 10 preview install, I think I should remove the following programs before I try it; am I paranoid, or do you guys agree? Esset AV All stardock...
  9. New install of Win 10 on older computer?

New install of Win 10 on older computer?: I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is...
  10. How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer: Can I install a vhdx image backup file from an old computer (win 10) onto a new one? I no longer have access to the old computer. From my internet reading it would appear that virtualization might be invovled and I've managed to install a virtual machine on the new...