Windows 10: Image thumbnails not loading

Discus and support Image thumbnails not loading in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,A few days ago my laptop went bluescreen and restarted itself. Afterward, it became slow going through folders and files, windows become not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by deepswim, Dec 3, 2022.

1. deepswim Win User

Image thumbnails not loading

Hello,A few days ago my laptop went bluescreen and restarted itself. Afterward, it became slow going through folders and files, windows become not responding a lot. Meanwhile, program icons always failed to load, often reappear after refresh. Image thumbnails stopped displaying completely, options at the top grayed out. Anyone knows what might have caused this and how should I fix it?

:)

deepswim, Dec 3, 2022
  2. kuudou Win User

Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer

As of earlier today I noticed that newly downloaded images are not displaying their thumbnails. Went online to look for solutions, looks like a lot of users are having this problem but very few have had offered solutions that aren't completely generic or
    pulled from a Third Party website. Here's what I have tried:

- Selected the right options to show thumbnails under File options and under "Performance" under Advanced System Options. Did not work.

- Rebuilt thumbnail and icon cache, both through DiskCleanup and CMD. Did not work.

- Updated Windows. Did not work.

- Attempted a restore from a Restore Point (which failed, did not try again)

- Installed Third-party Codec that was suggested by another thread, as that user explained, the thumbnail service is attempting to build a thumbnail and display it but is lacking the codec to do so. Did not work.

- Disabled Download Files on Demand (or something) for Onedrive, as suggested by another thread. Did not work.

Interesting things to note:

- Since I deleted the old thumbnail cache, images previously saved or downloaded no longer have their thumbnails.

- If I select the default Microsoft Photos app as the default image viewer,
    when opening a folder all of my images flash their thumbnail briefly before going back to a blank icon
    . It looks like thumbnails are somehow being generated, but not displayed.

- All video files, and icon files load their thumbnails perfectly. It looks like only image files are affected: jpg, jpeg, png, etc.

- MOST of my images are still blank icons, no thumbnails. I say most because inexplicably a small number of them managed to retain their thumbnails. No clue as to why this is.

Looking up similar issues on Google and Microsoft Answers reveals a lot of people have had similar problems to mine, but no viable solution. If anyone has somehow gotten a fix or something to work. Please let me know.

kuudou, Dec 3, 2022
  3. Embroidery Thumbnail image quality

Dalchina,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the file association is correct.

I’ve submitted a request to the software providers.

I do know how to rebuild the thumbnail cache, have done so, and prevented deletion of the cache.

I have indeed dis and reassociated the files. No difference.

I will look into daily restore points, good idea. I have the tutorial list and links.

Even though I restored successfully, the thumbnail images remain pixilated, maybe even worse than before.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joanne in NH

Joanne Tredeau, Dec 3, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

Hi, have you done any research on this? A general search for
    thumbnails load slowly
    suggests e.g.
    How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly

But there are so many factors: how large a file is each image: where are the files located: what is the speed of access to that location: what else is the PC doing at the same time..... (check your task manager).

Another angle:
    When Windows 10 thumbnails seem to be missing or slow to load, try this | PCWorld

Please also feel free to search the forum.

Note: forum rules prohibit thread bumping... thanks.

dalchina, Dec 3, 2022
Thema:

1. Image thumbnails not loading - Similar Threads - Image thumbnails loading

2. Thumbnails/Images Sometimes Slow to Load On Websites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails/Images Sometimes Slow to Load On Websites: Windows 10 Home22H2This is my elderly parents computer and while my Dad is fairly computer savvy, he has a tendency to do things he shouldn't and can be forgetful, so it's difficult for me to know exact details regarding when these problems started. I should state that I'm no...
  3. Thumbnails/Images Sometimes Slow to Load On Websites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thumbnails/Images Sometimes Slow to Load On Websites: Windows 10 Home22H2This is my elderly parents computer and while my Dad is fairly computer savvy, he has a tendency to do things he shouldn't and can be forgetful, so it's difficult for me to know exact details regarding when these problems started. I should state that I'm no...
  4. Thumbnails/Images Sometimes Slow to Load On Websites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Image thumbnails not loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image thumbnails not loading: Hello,A few days ago my laptop went bluescreen and restarted itself. Afterward, it became slow going through folders and files, windows become not responding a lot. Meanwhile, program icons always failed to load, often reappear after refresh. Image thumbnails stopped...
  6. Image thumbnails not loading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Image thumbnails not loading: Hello,A few days ago my laptop went bluescreen and restarted itself. Afterward, it became slow going through folders and files, windows become not responding a lot. Meanwhile, program icons always failed to load, often reappear after refresh. Image thumbnails stopped...
  7. no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working

in Windows 10 Support
    no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working: Hi there, for some time now all videos on my system are without thumbnails in the explorer. Image files are shown correctly with thumbnails. I already tried all recommended solutions like deleting the thumbnail cache (manually and via disk cleaner), checked all settings in...
  8. Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer: As of earlier today I noticed that newly downloaded images are not displaying their thumbnails. Went online to look for solutions, looks like a lot of users are having this problem but very few have had offered solutions that aren't completely generic or pulled from a Third...
  9. Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image: The thumbnail image flashes when I open a folder in pictures. how do I get the picture image to remain open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnail-image/f58e2e4c-8d6c-475e-87a9-3f614c02dff5"
  10. image on thumbnails

image on thumbnails: In older versions of windows you could see images of what was in an svg file. With windows 10 you can't. I save a lot of craft patterns, and it takes forever to find the file I'm looking for without an image on the thumbnail. Is there a way to set this up?...