Windows 10: Imaging a HD

Discus and support Imaging a HD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Will an image 223GB of 1 Tbite HD go into another 500GB HD ? 12899 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nichos, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nichos Win User

Imaging a HD

Will an image 223GB of 1 Tbite HD go into another 500GB HD ?

:)

nichos, Aug 4, 2015

2. How do I restore a system image to a NEW hard drive?

You cant restore to a different location. Restore is not a true backup. If you want to migrate an OS from HD to HD yoou need to use something like Acronis True image home (free to try) where you would make a byte by byte system image and save it to the
    other Hd then restore it to the destination HD

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 4, 2015
  3. kg415 Win User
    Windows 7 System Image Not Found on External USB HDD after Windows 10 Backup

I've been successfully saving and restoring Window 7 system images to/from an external USB HD for years. I've successfully restored these Win7 images using a system repair DVD.

Prior to installing Windows 10, I saved a system image to the external HD. After installing Win10, I saved a system image to this same HD.

Now Win10 is randomly freezing, so I wish to restore the latest Win7 image. If I attempt to do this from Win10 Repair, all the old Win7 images are listed, but if I attempt to restore one of these, Win10 Repair says it cannot restore a Win7 image.

When I attempt to restore using the Win7 repair DVD, it fails with the "System Image Not Found" message. The HD is accessible, since I can browse it from a command window. It appears that saving a Win10 image on this HD has broken Win7 system repair.

Any ideas about how to restore a Windows 7 system image in this situation?

kg415, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Imaging a HD

Torquemada, Aug 4, 2015
  5. altae Win User
    Yes, as long as your imaging software only copies the sectors that actually contain data.

altae, Aug 4, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You also might get a SMALLER image if your backup / imaging software allows you to change the compression - a higher amount of compression will require a smaller backup space but can take longer to perform so you trade off speed against backup size --if doing say overnight then no problem.

Note also that some files will compress better than others -- things like Office documents, png / jpg files and text files can sometimes compress to 90%. Multi-media and things like zip / rar files that are already compressed won't compress much further.

Note this compression unlike say mp3 files is LOSSLESS -- on restore you won't LOSE DATA.

AFTER BACKUP - VERIFY your image before deleting all or any of the original files.-- sometimes a RESTORE can fail and if you only have that as your single copy and you've wiped the original -- Need I say more.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  7. nichos Win User
    Thanx Alta & Torc,

I tried it & dos not allow Large into Smaller disk, please see attached.

Thanx Jimbo will study your post later.

nichos, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Imaging a HD

The target partition not the disk has to be bigger than the source.

Torquemada, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    Exactly. The OP has no partitions big enough on destination disk to store the image.

Kari, Aug 4, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    What you need to do is copy the first partition then click 'Restored Partition Properties' and reduce the partition size, to say 37GB, then repeat the process, as needed, for the other partitions.

11. Still won't work. There is no destination partition big enough.
    Solution , if he can. Delete all partitions on the destination drive and create one big partition to accomodate the image.

Torquemada, Aug 4, 2015
  12. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Yeah, apologies if that was not obvious, delete the existing partitions on the destination disk before starting...

You don't need to create one big partition, just leave the disk empty.

13. nichos Win User

Imaging a HD

Thanx all,

I do not dispute you but, how did you arrive to that conclusion?

nichos, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Well colour me intrigued. If the disk is empty i.e. no partitions how is it going to write the image ?

Torquemada, Aug 4, 2015
  15. NUS
    Nus Win User
    To which conclusion are you referring? There are appear to several, lol...

My replies are accurate and gained from experience, take it or leave it.

Macrium Reflect creates the partitions on the disk.

Thema:

Imaging a HD

1. Imaging a HD - Similar Threads - Imaging

2. Importing images from SD Card into Date Taken new folders using new so called Updated...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Importing images from SD Card into Date Taken new folders using new so called Updated...: Why has Microsoft made importing photos from sd card so difficult? New Photos and Photos Legacy does not allow you to import into new folders with criteria Date Taken. This has really slowed down my work flow. Nothing in Settings and no Advanced Settings to amend import...
  3. Importing images from SD Card into Date Taken new folders using new so called Updated...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Importing images from SD Card into Date Taken new folders using new so called Updated...: Why has Microsoft made importing photos from sd card so difficult? New Photos and Photos Legacy does not allow you to import into new folders with criteria Date Taken. This has really slowed down my work flow. Nothing in Settings and no Advanced Settings to amend import...
  4. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...: Hi, I've been trying to install windows update but get the error 0x80070643.I've them came across this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI...
  5. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...: Hi, I've been trying to install windows update but get the error 0x80070643.I've them came across this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bfI...
  6. 0x80070643 / KB5028997: Resize partiton partition to install WinRE: Windows RE image was...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can i delete my ISO/Disc image when i have installed it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i delete my ISO/Disc image when i have installed it?: So i have installed the ISO in my pc just to fill the missing features in my windows and fix my media player, well can i delete it now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-my-isodisc-image-when-i-have/d45e4049-d0a5-491d-8a9b-0a29816dc940
  8. Can i delete my ISO/Disc image when i have installed it?

Can i delete my ISO/Disc image when i have installed it?: So i have installed the ISO in my pc just to fill the missing features in my windows and fix my media player, well can i delete it now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-my-isodisc-image-when-i-have/d45e4049-d0a5-491d-8a9b-0a29816dc940
  9. Just one website not loading images on Surface 9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just one website not loading images on Surface 9: Hello,I have problem with only one website https://element.market/ not loading images on Surface 9 i5-1235UOne month ago it was working normal on this PC but now is like on screen shot no images showing.I have update and restart my PC, clear browsing data, clear cookies,...
  10. Just one website not loading images on Surface 9

Just one website not loading images on Surface 9: Hello,I have problem with only one website https://element.market/ not loading images on Surface 9 i5-1235UOne month ago it was working normal on this PC but now is like on screen shot no images showing.I have update and restart my PC, clear browsing data, clear cookies,...