Windows 10: IME keyboard layout

Discus and support IME keyboard layout in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Here is a repeat posting of a bug/oversight in the IME functionality which I posted four years ago and remains unresolved: I'd like to know why the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sean O'Connell, May 1, 2020.

1. IME keyboard layout

Here is a repeat posting of a bug/oversight in the IME functionality which I posted four years ago and remains unresolved:

I'd like to know why the Microsoft IME for Japanese and maybe other languages doesn't check the keyboard layout attached to the machine.

One particular keyboard layout seems to be hard-coded into the IME, consequently, the wrong characters appear when inputting non-alphanumeric characters. When on a non-QWERTY layout, all of the characters are wrong!

One would have thought that the simplest of testing would have identified this issue in the development stage. It seems that this issue has existed through three previous versions of Windows.

I am using a UK keyboard layout. From my research, is seems that the only resolution is to start editing registry values to "tweak" the interpretation of the keys.

This failure to get the basics right is why Mac is eating away at Window's market share!

So, the million dollar question is.... Why hasn't Microsoft fixed this years old issue???

:)

Sean O'Connell, May 1, 2020
  2. Swapna S Win User

IME with various keyboard layouts

Hi Sean,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing in changing the
    keyboard layout. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur, if you have selected any default language for keyboard layout.

Follow below mentioned step to change the keyboard layout Language.

• Press and Hold Windows key + space bar key from your keyboard.

• On right corner of your desktop, you will see a small pop windows that shows keyboard layout Language.

• Using down and up arrow keys, you can change the keyboard layout Language.
    Please get back us, if you are still facing issue
    in changing the keyboard layout language.

Thank you.

Swapna S, May 1, 2020
  3. IME with various keyboard layouts

Hello,

It seems like you haven't actually read my post.

The IME doesn't have a keyboard layout option. If I select a UK keyboard... then I'm no longer using the IME. Please try it yourself before suggesting fixes. Set up the IME for Japanese while using a non-US hard keyboard; see how you get on.

Thank you!

Sean O'Connell, May 1, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

IME keyboard layout

Cannot remove Keyboard Layout

Hi,

It is possible that you need to configure your keyboard layout that is why you still see it in the list even you already remove it. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps on this

thread
    provided by DikkeryDok last October 27, 2017 to remove the specific keyboard layout you are referring to.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 1, 2020
Thema:

IME keyboard layout

1. IME keyboard layout - Similar Threads - IME keyboard layout

2. Japanese IME - Changing Romanji layout to anything but English US Layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese IME - Changing Romanji layout to anything but English US Layout: Hello,I've recently started to use the Japanese Microsoft IME, and have been struggling with the romanji keyboard layout.I normally use the English Canadian keyboard as my default, but when I am using Japanese IME, and switch it to romanji mode, the default layout for it is...
  3. Changing the keyboard layout underneath an IME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the keyboard layout underneath an IME: Windows at this time seems to give no means to change the keyboard layout that sits under an input method editor. If you want to e.g. use a Japanese IME, the letters you input will be arranged with a US QWERTY layout and there's basically nothing short of editing the registry...
  4. Changing the keyboard layout underneath an IME

Changing the keyboard layout underneath an IME: Windows at this time seems to give no means to change the keyboard layout that sits under an input method editor. If you want to e.g. use a Japanese IME, the letters you input will be arranged with a US QWERTY layout and there's basically nothing short of editing the registry...
  5. How to change touch keyboard layout like hardware keyboard type in Korean Microsoft IME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change touch keyboard layout like hardware keyboard type in Korean Microsoft IME: Hello, I'm using Microsoft IME to write the Korean language with a 3 Beolsik Final keyboard layout as a hardware keyboard. It works very well. As hoping to see the same layout I'm using, I turned on the touch keyboard on-screen keyboard. However, only 2 Beolsik layout seems...
  6. How to change touch keyboard layout like hardware keyboard type in Korean Microsoft IME

How to change touch keyboard layout like hardware keyboard type in Korean Microsoft IME: Hello, I'm using Microsoft IME to write the Korean language with a 3 Beolsik Final keyboard layout as a hardware keyboard. It works very well. As hoping to see the same layout I'm using, I turned on the touch keyboard on-screen keyboard. However, only 2 Beolsik layout seems...
  7. German keyboard layout in Japanese Microsoft-IME

in Windows 10 Customization
    German keyboard layout in Japanese Microsoft-IME: Learning Japanese at the moment I want to learn to type in Japanese too. Although, I am very accustomed to the 'y'- and 'z'-key position to be like in the german layout, i.e. switched comparing it with the US layout. Whenever I want to write a character of the z- or y-series...
  8. Japanese IME keyboard layout on Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Japanese IME keyboard layout on Windows 10 2004: Hello, With previous versions of windows, all I had to do to type Japanese with my azerty keyboard was to change a registry key. This has no effect in 2004. Did anyone manage to fix this with the latest windows release? Thanks. submitted by /u/eltinono [link]...
  9. IME PHONETIC KEYBOARD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IME PHONETIC KEYBOARD: HI HINDI IME IS NOT READY YET. HOW COULD I FIXED IT I HAVE DELETED MY WINDOW.OLD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ime-phonetic-keyboard/11db0ad6-e502-434d-8da9-1d499e3def81
  10. Keyboard Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Layout: I am trying to add 'Urdu Phonetic Keyboard' layout in language preferences but its not working. There is an Urdu Keyboard by deflate but its layout doesn't match with our Urdu keyboard layout in which I learned typing. I have to prepare my assignment. So, please get me solved...