Windows 10: IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English

Discus and support IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Japanese user who has MS IME installed. When he is working in MS Outlook, it will not allow him to switch to different input options. I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Todd Foughty, May 23, 2019.

1. IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English

I have a Japanese user who has MS IME installed. When he is working in MS Outlook, it will not allow him to switch to different input options. I did the reset of the options that I read in one of the threads, and it worked for about 5 minutes. As soon as the user clicked on a new email, he could no longer switch the input method.

:)

Todd Foughty, May 23, 2019
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, May 23, 2019
  3. Japanese IME - How to have menus in English?

The default display language for the Microsoft IME is "Automatic", and occasionally it decides for whatever reason to change from English to Japanese or vice versa.
    At any rate, you can correct the issue without removing any language packs via the following steps. I'm going to assume that your Windows display language is in English, but your IME is set to display in Japanese.

1. Navigate thus: Control Panel -> Region & Language -> Keyboards &
      Languages -> Change Keyboards
    2. Highlight "Microsoft IME" under the Japanese (Japan) keyboard section of the "Installed services" list
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Under the ""全股" tab, you will see an option at the bottom "メニューおよびダイアログで使用する言語" which is the IME display language option. Change this to "英語" (English) and save your changes (the buttons are in the same order as they are in the English UI, "Okay", "Cancel", "Apply", and "Help".

The next time you reopen the IME in the language bar, it should display in English.

Vector Gorgoth, May 23, 2019
  4. TokyoMike Win User

IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

I have just reinstalled my PC with Japanese Windows (it's the only way to enable the full use of a Japanese keyboard - special keys etc.). However, I want my system language to be English (menus etc.). So far I have tried the following:

Settings:
    Installed English language pack
    Made English default language

Power menu (not sure of proper name - win_key-x):
    Tried to switch language to English but does not appear in the menu.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, May 23, 2019
Thema:

IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English

1. IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English - Similar Threads - IME allowing switching

2. Japanese IME switching back to alphanumeric.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese IME switching back to alphanumeric.: When I try to use the Japanese IME, as soon as I try to type in hiragana, it changes back to alphanumeric on its own. Every time I switch to an input method different than alphanumeric, it switches back automatically and I can't seem to override it at all.Any help would be...
  3. Japanese IME switching back to alphanumeric.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese IME switching back to alphanumeric.: When I try to use the Japanese IME, as soon as I try to type in hiragana, it changes back to alphanumeric on its own. Every time I switch to an input method different than alphanumeric, it switches back automatically and I can't seem to override it at all.Any help would be...
  4. Switching IME option from English to Japanese freezes applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching IME option from English to Japanese freezes applications.: I have Japanese installed on my Windows 10. Only recently have this issue started. I did not install any new programs that will affect keyboard inputs. The I have changed a PC hardware, the GPU, but I doubt that it is causing the issue.The issue:When switching from English to...
  5. Switching IME option from English to Japanese freezes applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching IME option from English to Japanese freezes applications.: I have Japanese installed on my Windows 10. Only recently have this issue started. I did not install any new programs that will affect keyboard inputs. The I have changed a PC hardware, the GPU, but I doubt that it is causing the issue.The issue:When switching from English to...
  6. Japanese IME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese IME: Ever since the windows 10 2004 update and with the changes of the IME; the usual toggle keys that I used to use to change between hiragana and katakana and romaji have stopped working, have the toggle keys changed? or do toggles don't work anymore?...
  7. Japanese IME

Japanese IME: In the language bar, I cannot select 'Hiragana' or 'Katakana' in "Input Mode". Only 'Half-width alphanumeric' is available. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-ime/d654e92e-7b1b-404b-83b9-77d9e6124c06
  8. Japanese IME

Japanese IME: When I install Japanese Keyboard I have "Japanese IME is not ready yet". It is more than an hour now. Just in term of comparaison: Mac OS 1mn, Android 1mn, Windows forever... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/japanese-ime/26d989e7-6127-49ff-907a-5b8233c2a84a
  9. Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Japanese IME Keyboard not typing in kana but just English: Hello, I installed the Japanese IME keyboard a year ago, and it was working fine. I would type in the romanji and then the corresponding kana character would appear on screen. I could switch from English to kana at any time via the little keyboard icon at the on the taskbar...
  10. Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching Japanese Windows with English menus: I have just reinstalled my PC with Japanese Windows (it's the only way to enable the full use of a Japanese keyboard - special keys etc.). However, I want my system language to be English (menus etc.). So far I have tried the following: Settings: Installed English...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 japanese ime broken in build 1809

2. can not use ime

3. ime japanese not switching to hiragana

4. ime japanese windows 10,
  5. ime japanese switch english and japanese