Windows 10: Imminent System Disk Crash. What To Do?

Discus and support Imminent System Disk Crash. What To Do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a win10 system with a two tera system disk that I think is about to crash. It makes periodic 'speed up' sounds. Like it has suddenly gone into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Feb 7, 2021.

1. abrogard Win User

Imminent System Disk Crash. What To Do?

I have a win10 system with a two tera system disk that I think is about to crash.
    It makes periodic 'speed up' sounds. Like it has suddenly gone into overdrive. Quite noisy. Like loudly rushing wind or something.

Only lasts for a second or two and then it lapses back into its quiet humming.

I have a drive on there with about 150 G free.

I've been advised in the past and have tried to use Macrium free edition but unless I've clumsily failed to understand and use it properly it hasn't offered me anything else but virtually copy the whole system disk which I don't have room to do.

Which means: there's no macrium backup to look at.

And similarly I've tried restore points in Windows previously and other Windows tricks for this eventuality and they've all failed me when it came to it.

So this time I thought I might jump in before it actually happens and canvass the best advice on how to proceed from right here, now, when it hasn't happened but it sure looks like it will.

Version: i don't know. It's win10 and right up to date I think.

Only about 150 G available space. On a USB drive.

What should I do?

p.s. I should make clear I'm not worried about the two tera of data on the system disk as such. In my experience we can nearly always recover data.

The main object is to maintain a running Win10 installation with all the installed programmes still there.
    i.e. the system itself. As I see 'the system', meaning, I suppose 'my system' rather than the bare bones Windows10
    system which is what i keep getting driven back to.

Job is 'how to maintain my system'. Funny you never see it said like that isn't it? But that's what we all want to do. Maintain our systems. Hmmm.. anyway.... ?

and a p.s. : yes, I think it's going to be a disk crash rather than a windows crash but I'm not 100% on that. I've known this disk speedup thing occur in both cases - when windows was going wonky and also when disk surface was getting flaky...

:)

abrogard, Feb 7, 2021

2. Help! New system keeps crashing

It's runing through them now. It's a step forward, as the problem was the system crashing as soon as I pressed the key to boot from the disk, it crashed before I even got to install it. When it's done, I'll burn another copy, see if that works.

Ben Clarke, Feb 7, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Threeflow Win User

Help! New system keeps crashing

Ask this guy if he can help ->>

Threeflow, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Imminent System Disk Crash. What To Do? - Similar Threads - Imminent System Disk

2. hard disk failure is imminent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk failure is imminent: I know there is another post about this but mine is a bit different I had the hard disk error and I took a bit too long to understand what was happening but I finally did and changed the hard drive but I forgot to backup my data so I reinstalled windows and when I do it says...
  3. hard disk failure is imminent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard disk failure is imminent: I know there is another post about this but mine is a bit different I had the hard disk error and I took a bit too long to understand what was happening but I finally did and changed the hard drive but I forgot to backup my data so I reinstalled windows and when I do it says...
  4. Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure: The smart hard disk check has detected a imminent failureWhat to do to correct this issueLaptop have ssd and hdd bothHp ssd s700 m.2 250gbAnd hdd is ToshibaIn july 2021 i purchased the ssd and put it in the laptop with the help of local computer shopNow is this ssd issue orr...
  5. BIOS stops with "Hard Disk Failure Imminent"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BIOS stops with "Hard Disk Failure Imminent": This subject already on this Community Site but all threads appear to be closed without satisfactory answers. I have therefore opened a new question with a similar heading. My problem like others is that the BIOS hangs immediately before it transfer control to the Windows 10...
  6. Hard Disk Failure Imminent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk Failure Imminent: The last two times I've booted my laptop it has stopped loading and displayed a message along the lines of "Hard disk failure imminent to avoid not data loss yes it words it like that please back up your drive and preform disk repair from system diagnostic window - press...
  7. Hard Disk Failure Imminent, a question...

Hard Disk Failure Imminent, a question...: so i've been dealing with having to hit enter and F1 on startup for 3 years now, cus of this error mesage: hard disk failure is imminent, blah blah blah. it happened like 2 months after i bought this new HP. but i've had no problems with my hard drive, other than just having...
  8. Hard Disk Failure Imminent, a question...

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Disk Failure Imminent, a question...: so i've been dealing with having to hit enter and F1 on startup for 3 years now, cus of this error mesage: hard disk failure is imminent, blah blah blah. it happened like 2 months after i bought this new HP. but i've had no problems with my hard drive, other than just having...
  9. Imminent disk failure??

Imminent disk failure??: Going to look at a friends PC tomorrow, who reports that it throws up a message regarding disk problems/possible failure. He tells me that the PC will boot up. I am toying with the idea that I will (if possible) clone the existing disk to a spare. Question is will this do...
  10. Hard disk failure is imminent.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk failure is imminent.: When starting my computer I sometimes get a message that Hard Disk Failure Imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced. Press F10 for Setup. F2 to continue. The first time I got this screen it clicked on F2 and Windows opened and all seemed fine. Now I...