Windows 10: Impact of Restore Points on disk space

Discus and support Impact of Restore Points on disk space in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I fitted a 'Crucial' MX500 250GB SSD and installed Windows 10 64-bit, v1903 on it. It is now build 18362.295. I also installed the recommended 'Crucial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wiganken, Aug 31, 2019.

1. wiganken Win User

Impact of Restore Points on disk space

I fitted a 'Crucial' MX500 250GB SSD and installed Windows 10 64-bit, v1903 on it. It is now build 18362.295. I also installed the recommended 'Crucial Storage Executive' (CSE) software. Everything works fine but I noticed that the amount of 'Used' space varies without me doing anything. On 30th August it showed 78.6GB 'Used' and on 31st August it showed 80.5GB 'Used'. I had lost 2GB of SSD space.

I checked and there was a Restore Point (RP) created at 17:26 on 30th August which was taking up 280MB. This RP was a 'Scheduled' RP unassociated with any program or driver updates. Because no programs would be affected by its deletion (and I have Macrium Reflect backup images saved) I deleted the RP. I then restarted my computer and found that deleting the single 280MB RP gave me back the 'lost' 2GB. How does deleting a 280MB RP give me back 2GB SSD space? Is it a Windows 10 thing or do earlier Windows versions behave the same way? Any thoughts?

:)

wiganken, Aug 31, 2019

2. hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Why only one restore point showing for recovery?

We appreciate the prompt response. At the moment, the created restore points are being managed by the system and doesn't provide an option to relocate to another location. However, you an set the amount of space that system will use for the restore point.
    To do this, follow the steps below:

• Search for Create a restore point from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
    • On the System Protection tab, select
      Configure
    • Under Disk Space Usage, move the slider depending on your preferred memory allotment for the restore points
    • Click OK.
    Let us know should you have other concerns.

Darwin Dim, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Impact of Restore Points on disk space

Windows 10 automatic restore points

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1) Have you installed any third party antivirus?

2) Have you installed any third party registry optimization software?

I would first suggest you to check if the “show more restore points” option is selected in the system restore options. If this option is not selected, it will show only the recent restore point created. Refer these steps:

a) Press Windows key + F, type “Recovery” in the search box

b) Click on the settings tile below the search box

c) Click on the recovery tile and click “configure system restore”

d) Click on the system restore button and click next

e) By default, only the recent restore point will be displayed, click on the box against “show more restore points” below

f) Now check.

If the above step didn’t show the restore points, then I would suggest you to check the disk space allotted to restore points. If very less space is allotted to store restore points, then it will automatically delete the old restore points. Refer these steps
    to check:

a) Press Windows key + F, type “Recovery” in the search box

b) Click on the settings tile below the search box

c) Click on the recovery tile and click “configure system restore”

d) Click on “Configure” button and check the disk space allotted.

Hope this information helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Impact of Restore Points on disk space

1. Impact of Restore Points on disk space - Similar Threads - Impact Restore Points

2. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  3. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  4. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. RESTORE POINTS TAKING BIG AMOUNT OF SPACE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RESTORE POINTS TAKING BIG AMOUNT OF SPACE: The list of restore points is not being shown when I type VSSAdmin /list shadowscommand in command prompt as well as powershell.I want to know this because I think that these restore points are taking a hell lot of space on my pc....One more question that are these system...
  6. RESTORE POINTS TAKING BIG AMOUNT OF SPACE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RESTORE POINTS TAKING BIG AMOUNT OF SPACE: The list of restore points is not being shown when I type VSSAdmin /list shadowscommand in command prompt as well as powershell.I want to know this because I think that these restore points are taking a hell lot of space on my pc....One more question that are these system...
  7. RESTORE POINTS TAKING BIG AMOUNT OF SPACE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How much % is required of space for restore points?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How much % is required of space for restore points?: as the title says, how many gbs are needed. my OS is running on a 256gb nvme so space left aint much, so how much space should i reserve? like 5% right now tells its 11,89% of space. submitted by /u/Thorwoofie [link] [comments]...
  9. Recommended disk space size for System Restore Points (of Win10 partn?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recommended disk space size for System Restore Points (of Win10 partn?: Whats the recommended size for Restore Points for an Win10 system partition when I want to store e.g. 8 restore points? Where can I defined where (in which partition) these restore points should be stored? Or are they always on the same partition as the original? Are old...
  10. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...