Windows 10: Implement OS mechanism to prevent apps from stealing focus ever

Discus and support Implement OS mechanism to prevent apps from stealing focus ever in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is a major security breach. Very typical use-case scenario: You'll be typing a password into a secure application, say vpn client, then some... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AndrewMcB, Nov 23, 2019.

1. AndrewMcB Win User

Implement OS mechanism to prevent apps from stealing focus ever

This is a major security breach.

Very typical use-case scenario:

You'll be typing a password into a secure application, say vpn client, then some other app like skype steals focus on startup and now your password is completely visible to somebody walking behind you, or in the worse case, could actually send your password to somebody.

This can also be taken advantage of to explicitly create an app that steals focus and phishes for passwords.

I've seen the Microsoft position that its up to the offending app not to steal focus. This is NOT acceptable response. The onus needs to be on the OS to stop this malicious behavior from happening in the first place.

I also don't understand the argument that if somebody started an app, they would expect that to take focus and would be confused if it didn't after starting to do something else....

That would be like sending somebody a text, and while waiting for a response you give somebody a call, and when that first person replies to your text it hangs up your phone call.

Ridiculous this hasn't been fixed in 15 years since its been reported.

:)

AndrewMcB, Nov 23, 2019
  2. rluks Win User

Preventing applications from stealing focus in Windows 10

There is a dated question asking for a solution for windows 7. I have recently grew tired of newly launched applications to steal focus from my currently opened window. Is there a way how to prevent programs from stealing focus in Windows 10?

Thank you

rluks, Nov 23, 2019
  3. club27 Win User
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused

club27, Nov 23, 2019
  4. condabest Win User

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1]) doesn't affect anything.

Is there some way to edit a program's permission's or the registry or another setting to prevent either all programs or select programs from stealing focus etc? (This is for programs that don't give you the option of turning it off in their settings.)

Thanks for the help Implement OS mechanism to prevent apps from stealing focus ever :)

[1] Preventing applications from stealing focus

condabest, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Implement OS mechanism to prevent apps from stealing focus ever - Similar Threads - Implement mechanism prevent

2. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  3. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  4. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  5. How to prevent any window from stealing focus from the active one?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent any window from stealing focus from the active one?: Is there an easy, foolproof way to prevent ANY applications from stealing focus from the active window in Windows 10? submitted by /u/madonnaragu [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzriz7/how_to_prevent_any_window_from_stealing_focus/
  6. How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I safely prevent applications stealing focus?: For example, when I want to load Space Engineers game in the background and tab out of it so it can load while I'm browsing the internet, the window automatically switches to the game, expected, but then repeatedly switches back to it when I'm trying to get it to load in the...
  7. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  8. turn off focus stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off focus stealing: Hey, how do i turn off focus stealing ? i have already in regedit under ForegroundLockTimeout set 30d40, but still when i am in game for example, pop out windows steal focus and minimizes the game. I don't know about anything else. Is there any way how to turn this off. Thank...
  9. Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing: This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1])...
  10. Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?: Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused 55662