Windows 10: Import a restore point from an HDD

Discus and support Import a restore point from an HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've recently upgraded my laptop from an HDD to a SSD, but didn't do any backups beforehand and I really wanted to use one of the restore points... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by whosvitor, Jan 11, 2021.

1. whosvitor Win User

Import a restore point from an HDD

Hello, I've recently upgraded my laptop from an HDD to a SSD, but didn't do any backups beforehand and I really wanted to use one of the restore points in my old HDD to restore my computer, since I'm no computer expert I don't have the slightest idea if that's even possible. Could anyone help me?

:)

whosvitor, Jan 11, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CImport a restore point from an HDD :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CImport a restore point from an HDD :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10  

Hello ma3ino, Import a restore point from an HDD :)

Please double check using the screenshots under step 11 to verify if the restore point is listed there.

Brink, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Import a restore point from an HDD

creating a restore point

Hi Anthony,

We understand that you're having an issue with creating a restore point. For us to further assist you, we'd like to gather additional information.

• Have you tried creating system restore point manually?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

If you haven't created a system restore point manually, you can refer to the article below and follow the instructions given. Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point manually.

Create a system restore point

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Import a restore point from an HDD

1. Import a restore point from an HDD - Similar Threads - Import restore point

2. creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point: I recently had to restore my computer from a previous restore point. That went well but i have attempted to create a new restore point and i get the following message. 0x800423f4 the writer experienced a non-transient error. I looked for some help but not sure about answer....
  3. creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating new restore point after restoring from old restore point: I recently had to restore my computer from a previous restore point. That went well but i have attempted to create a new restore point and i get the following message. 0x800423f4 the writer experienced a non-transient error. I looked for some help but not sure about answer....
  4. Restore Point or Restore from Image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point or Restore from Image?: Hello r/windows10 , hope you're all well. I had some issues that were finally resolved with a USB Recovery Drive. I have my computer all set up back to the way I had it before I had those issues. All is good now. What I would like to do is prevent myself from having to start...
  5. Restore Point

Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  6. System Restore from Restore Point is stuck

System Restore from Restore Point is stuck: Started a system restore from system restore point this morning at 7:30 am. It is now 11:45 am and it is still running. I have done system restore from restore point in the past and it only took 20~30 minutes. What to do now?...
  7. Problem with restoring from Restore Point

Problem with restoring from Restore Point: I have a Dell Insperion laptop (four years old, bought from Costco). It came with preinstalled Windows 8.1 with no installation disk. Later, I upgraded it to a free Window 10 from Microsoft website. An automatic Dell update app on the laptop indicated that there is a driver...
  8. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  9. Restore Point - how to make a bootable DVD from working restore point?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restore Point - how to make a bootable DVD from working restore point?: Windows 10 automatics updates did not end up looping until 17 January 2017 and system restore point were made regularly also taking backup from those parts of system Windows10 does not save to restore points because they are not MS products but from other vendors such as...
  10. Restoring from Restore point - still no luck

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring from Restore point - still no luck: After many, many attempts... installs, reinstalls, upgrades, ISO installs, the whole journey, I still cannot get a restore point to restore without messing up! No problem creating, no problem actually restoring, from control panel or boot. But everytime something does not...