Windows 10: Import OneNote 2010 into Windows 10 OneNote

Discus and support Import OneNote 2010 into Windows 10 OneNote in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I see the new Windows 10 OneNote, and it looks pretty different to me from OneNote 2010, but I wanted to at least try it. But I can't find anyway to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by cfuglein, May 11, 2016.

1. cfuglein Win User

Import OneNote 2010 into Windows 10 OneNote

I see the new Windows 10 OneNote, and it looks pretty different to me from OneNote 2010, but I wanted to at least try it. But I can't find anyway to import my notebooks from 2010. Is there anyway to do this? I keep getting messages about "updating", but I don't know if that's for OneNote 2016 or Windows 10.

So my questions are:

1) Can you import notebooks from OneNote 2010 into Windows 10?

2) Is there a good reason to do so? I.e., use Windows 10 OneNote?

Thanks,
    Carl

:)

cfuglein, May 11, 2016

2. Does the Windows 8 phone synch with Outlook notes?

Depending on the version of Office 2007 that you've got, OneNote may be included as part of the suite. After you install OneNote to your computer, you can enable the OneNote Add-in to Outlook that lets you link Outlook notes to OneNote notes. The linking
    feature and the integration between OneNote and Outlook only applies to Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks. There isn't a way to link Outlook Notes to OneNote.

Unfortunately, there's not a nicely wrapped, direct way to move your Outlook Notes to OneNote. I know a lot of folks just manually copied and pasted each Outlook Note into separate notes within a OneNote notebook...and I originally resigned myself to doing
    that too. But it got to be pretty tedious for me, so I searched around and found some great help in a series of articles that were written by John Guin over at the MSDN blogs.

Export Your Outlook Notes to OneNote 2007

This option only works if you are using OneNote 2007. When I moved all my Outlook Notes to OneNote, I was using Outlook 2007 at the time. This program let me export my Outlook Notes directly to a OneNote 2007 notebook. That program only work with OneNote
    2007 and does not work with OneNote 2010. If you currently have OneNote 2007,
    you can get the exporter program at this link

I originally used a trial version of OneNote 2007 when I exported my notes. Since Windows Phone is tightly integrated with OneNote 2010. I eventually purchased OneNote 2010, and OneNote 2010 converted all my OneNote 2007 notebooks to the 2010 format.

An Outlook routine to export sticky notes and then import them to OneNote

If you don't have access to OneNote 2007, then you can follow the instructions in this link to export
    your Outlook Notes to text files that can then be imported into OneNote 2010 through a separate powertoy (which I've linked below). Even through I did not need to use these instructions myself, I have used them just to see how they work and found the instructions
    quite easy to follow.

The text importer powertoy gets updated for OneNote 2010

Once you've exported your Outlook notes to text files (following the instructions in the link above) you can use the text importer powertoy to import them into a OneNote 2010 notebook.

Julie fka profjulie, May 11, 2016
  3. rw184564 Win User
    MS Office 2010 - OneNote

Does MS Office 2010 - OneNote work in Windows 10? I see that MS Office 2010 works and was tested in Windows 10 but OneNote was not tested. Can someone verify OneNote works in Windows 10?

Thank you.

rw184564, May 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Save your notebooks to OneDrive in OneNote 2010. You can then open them in any version of OneNote (OneNote online, OneNote 2013 & 2016, Windows OneNote App).

5. cfuglein Win User
    That sounds good, but I can't figure out how to open in OneNote. I saved a notebook as a onepkg, but can only seem to open it in OneNote 2010. Can you help?

cfuglein, May 13, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Having moved to Office 2016, I had to first install Office 2010 to a virtual test machine to get screenshots. Here we go, this is the the process which you have to repeat for each notebook you want to open in Windows 10 built-in OneNote app.

1.) If your notebooks are already stored in OneDrive, jump to step 7. If they are stored locally, open OneNote 2010.

I created a simple Sample Notebook to show this process:

Import OneNote 2010 into Windows 10 OneNote [​IMG]
    (Click screenshots to enlarge)
    2.) Open the File menu, select Info > Share on Web or Network:

3.) Select Web, click Sign In:

4.) Enter your MS account credentials:

Note If you have enabled two-step authentication on your MS account, you need first create an app password and use it here instead of the MS account password.

5.) Select in which OneDrive folder you want to save the notebook, click Share Notebook:

6.) Close OneNote 2010

7.) Open Windows 10 OneNote app. If you sign in to Windows with a Microsoft (MS) account, jump to step 11. If you sign in with a local account click Personal Microsoft Account:

8.) Sign in to your MS account:
    '

9.) Enter your Windows password, click Sign in to just this app instead:

Note This is important! Do not click Next here, it will convert your local Windows user account to an MS account!

10.) Click Start using OneNote:

11.) You can now start using Windows 10 OneNote app, having access to your notebooks:

Remember that you can also use, access and edit your notebooks stored in OneDrive online at outlook.com:

7. cfuglein Win User
    I've done every step up to 10, but I still can't see my notebook that I saved to one drive.

cfuglein, May 13, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

By default OneNote opens the last notebook you had open. To open other notebooks you need of course first open them.

Click the Navigation button:

Click More notebooks:

Select the notebook you want to open:

The notebook will be opened:

9. cfuglein Win User
    *really*really*really*really

cfuglein, May 14, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Warning Please edit your post remove the screenshot. It is irrelevant but it shows your real email address. It is not a good idea to reveal your factual contact information in your posts!

OK, not seeing any notebooks when More notebooks is selected means there are no notebooks stored on this MS account.

I have tested the instructions I have posted now on another virtual machine and whatever I try, I can't make it fail. I installed Office 2010 including OneNote to Windows 10, signing in to Windows with a local account and creating a few sample notebooks in OneNote 2010, storing them locally.

I then shared them using OneDrive as I showed with screenshots in my earlier post. I closed OneNote 2010, opened OneNote app and my notebooks were immediately there under More notebooks.

I simply cannot make this fail! I am sorry but I am not able to help you any further; the instructions already posted show the correct way to do what you want to do, I have tested and retested them and there are no errors in them.

11. Kari Win User
    Something I thought is worth to test:

Go to OneNote Online (Microsoft OneNote | The digital note-taking app for your devices), sign in if you are not automatically signed in:

Select Sign in with a Microsoft account, in the next dialog enter your MS account credentials:

You should now see a list of your notebooks:

If no notebooks are found you will see this:

Please tell us when testing this did you see your notebooks in OneNote Online?

12. cfuglein Win User
    I never tried one note online. I'm going to go over your latest and try again. Thanks for your patience and knowledge.

cfuglein, May 15, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

OneNote online is very practical, as long as you save your notebooks in OneDrive. It allows you to access your notebooks from any device, even when OneNote is not installed on device you are using.

14. cfuglein Win User
    I give up. I can't make it work. Thanks for your extensive help.

cfuglein, May 15, 2016
  15. Kari Win User
    BEfore giving up, please tell me could you see your notebooks when signing in to OneNote Online at https://www.onenote.com?

Thema:

1. Import OneNote 2010 into Windows 10 OneNote - Similar Threads - Import OneNote 2010

2. OneNote 2010 stopped scan link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneNote 2010 stopped scan link: In OneNote 2010 to scan a document I do this: Enter - Scanner Printout - Custom Insert. This week it has stopped working. The computer simply locks and I have to use Task Manager to unlock. Can anyone help this 76-year old pensioner with the precise process in OneNote 2019 to...
  3. OneNote 2010 stopped scan link

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OneNote 2010 stopped scan link: In OneNote 2010 to scan a document I do this: Enter - Scanner Printout - Custom Insert. This week it has stopped working. The computer simply locks and I have to use Task Manager to unlock. Can anyone help this 76-year old pensioner with the precise process in OneNote 2019 to...
  4. OneNote 2010 stopped scan link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Some notebooks created with OneNote 2010 won't open with OneNote 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Some notebooks created with OneNote 2010 won't open with OneNote 2016: Created several Notebooks using OneNote 2010. Moved to new laptop so downloaded free version of OneNote 2016 (not from Windows store). Some of the notebooks open, but when trying to open others, I get the message that I need Office 365 to view them. Why this inconsistent...
  6. OneNote 2010 notebook sections not open

OneNote 2010 notebook sections not open: Windows 10 version 1909. I have been using the desktop app of OneNote 2010 with no issues until suddenly last week when logging in - using MS account credentials as always before - all pages are no longer visible and "There are no sections open in this notebook or section...
  7. Is OneNote 2016 similar to the OneNote that was part of Office 2010?

Is OneNote 2016 similar to the OneNote that was part of Office 2010?: I just upgraded from Windows 7 / Office 2010 to Windows 10 and the version of OneNote I used previously was faster, had many more features, and felt like a desktop app. This new version feels slow and looks like it was a horrible port from a mobile phone or something. Does...
  8. HELP! OneNote Importer Completed but NOTHING Appears in OneNote!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! OneNote Importer Completed but NOTHING Appears in OneNote!: Hi, I finally decided to make the move from Evernote to OneNote. I used the OneNote Importer on Windows 10 and selected all notebooks from Evernote. The process took 30 minutes and completed import of over 2000 notes. HOWEVER, when I launch OneNote app on Win 10, there is...
  9. Access OneNote for Windows 10 notebooks in OneNote 2010

Access OneNote for Windows 10 notebooks in OneNote 2010: I have spent hours trying to do something that should be simple, and have given up in frustration. I imported my Evernote notebooks into OneNote for Windows 10 successfully. According to Microsoft, I should be also able to view these notebooks in OneNote 2010. This has...
  10. OneNote for Windows 10 will replace OneNote 2016

in Windows 10 News
    OneNote for Windows 10 will replace OneNote 2016: Still OneNote desktop for me. I'd miss things like the ability to Paste with or without formatting (and this is controllable by keyboard shortcuts - Alt-H-V-T anyone?) and I like the integration with the rest of Office (eg. the ability to mark some OneNote text as an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to Import contacts from Win7 Office 2010 to Win10 Onenote

2. Import office 2010 onenote to windows 10 onenote

3. onenote 2010 to onenote windows 10

4. windows 10 onenote import onenote 2010,
  5. import data to windows 10 onenote,
  6. move from onenote 2010 to onenote app,
  7. import onenote 2010 to office 365,
  8. import onenote for windows 10,
  9. import OneNote2013 to OneNote windows 10,
  10. import onenote 2010 to onenote online,
  11. importer onenote 2010,