Windows 10: Import photos into month and year subdirectories

Discus and support Import photos into month and year subdirectories in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an iPhone that I sync with my desktop Windows 10 machine. I am having a problem when importing pictures. Previously, the photos went into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DennisMossner, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Import photos into month and year subdirectories

I have an iPhone that I sync with my desktop Windows 10 machine. I am having a problem when importing pictures. Previously, the photos went into subdirectories by year and month taken 2020-11, 2020-12 etc. This was all done automatically. I have been doing this for years. For some reason when I do this now the individual files are just all dumped into my main pictures folder - They don't go into any subdirectories. I prefer the old way as I could easily identify them by date. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

:)

DennisMossner, Jan 10, 2021

2. Windows 10 Viewing photos by month & year

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and wondered if anyone can help me with a query please ?

In Windows 7 I had all my photos of the grandchildren in one folder called 'Freddie & Anna' that was set up as follows:

• There were no sub folders for months/years within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.
    • When I clicked on the folder 'Freddie & Anna' the system displayed month & year 'icons' so that I could select the photos I wanted to view by clicking on the appropriate month & year 'icon'.
    • If my memory is correct I did this by using 'Arrange by' within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.

I have set up the following folder structure in Windows 10:

and all the photos of my grandchildren are in the folder 'Freddie & Anna'.

There are no sub folders for months/years within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.

When I click on the folder 'Freddie & Anna' I want my system to do what it did in Windows 7 and display the month & year icons but it does what I don't want and displays all the photos and groups them under the headings 'Earlier This Week', 'Last Week', 'Earlier This Month', Earlier This Year', and 'A Long Time Ago'. The system does this very slowly.

In Windows 7 the system was pretty quick to display the month & year 'icons' and then to display the appropriate photos if I clicked on one of the month & year 'icons'.

I would like to set up my folders/photos in Windows 10 so they are displayed as my system did in Windows 7.

Can anyone help me to do this please?

Steve Dean, Jan 10, 2021
  3. KX4SAM Win User
    Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or

How can I change it so that it will use data

KX4SAM, Jan 10, 2021
  4. mgbinfla Win User

Import photos into month and year subdirectories

Changing month and year in photos

Hi Farah, Thanks for the quick reply! However, I'm confused! In my photos there is a list of months and years that automatically change monthly until the end of the year. After December 1999 you have to change the month and year to January 2020 but I
    do not know how to do it. From then on it should change each month automatically according to date and time. Can you explain?

mgbinfla, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Import photos into month and year subdirectories

1. Import photos into month and year subdirectories - Similar Threads - Import photos month

2. Photo import not saving in folders by month of date taken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo import not saving in folders by month of date taken: My Original photo library was somewhat messed up including what was on OneDrive so I pulled them all down to my local computer. Having purged all the problem images and happy with the result I then copied them to a memory card and used Photos to start importing them.However...
  3. Photo import not saving in folders by month of date taken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo import not saving in folders by month of date taken: My Original photo library was somewhat messed up including what was on OneDrive so I pulled them all down to my local computer. Having purged all the problem images and happy with the result I then copied them to a memory card and used Photos to start importing them.However...
  4. Photo import not saving in folders by month of date taken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Photos App .. Importing by date/month?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App .. Importing by date/month?: Just opened an updated photos app win 11 and am lost as to why or how to get the pictures sorted by date or month at least. The old one auto sectioned the photos on Import which made it easier when backing up....
  6. Photos App .. Importing by date/month?

Photos App .. Importing by date/month?: Just opened an updated photos app win 11 and am lost as to why or how to get the pictures sorted by date or month at least. The old one auto sectioned the photos on Import which made it easier when backing up....
  7. automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app: my system used to do this but doesn't now for some reason; the photo app just imports all files to pictures\. I can't find the setting to create a subfolder on import. Can anyone help?...
  8. MS Photos: Imported pics not going into month folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Photos: Imported pics not going into month folder: After yesterday's Windows 10 update 2004?, photos imported from my camera aren't going into the appropriate month folder 2020-12. Have I lost a setting or has this feature been discontinued? System up to date except for optional quality update....
  9. Changing month and year in photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing month and year in photos: Can anyone give me simple instructions on how to change the month and year in photos for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-month-and-year-in-photos/507daef9-2fde-4cbf-90c8-607f12c8c977
  10. Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE: Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or How can I change it so that it will use data 143228