Windows 10: Important file lost in update, how do I get it back?

Discus and support Important file lost in update, how do I get it back? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My laptop updated, and put me into a new desktop yesterday. I decided to look for my important folder with passwords and my music in it, and put it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheGreenFax, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Important file lost in update, how do I get it back?

My laptop updated, and put me into a new desktop yesterday. I decided to look for my important folder with passwords and my music in it, and put it onto that desktop. Then today, I restarted my laptop. I logged in, it said Preparing Windows, and put me into yet another new desktop. After looking around for hours, I cannot find the folder. This has been the worst update ever, and I'm wondering how to get the folder back. Any way to do that?

submitted by /u/TheGreenFax
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheGreenFax, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

Lost a REALLY IMPORTANT folder

Hi Tanya,

We'd like to know a few things to understand this better and help you recover the missing folder. Please answer these questions:

• Did you lose it after upgrading to Windows 10?
    • How long has it been since you installed Windows 10 on the computer?
    Windows 10 does not apply changes or remove personal files without your permission. We suggest you restore the previous version of the folder or drive that used to contain the files you are looking for. Refer to this

page
    for the steps.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards.

Ruz San, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Lost my all important data after update new version win10

Hi,

From the above description, I understand you have lost files after recent Windows 10 update on the computer. Please reply, which is the recent update installed on the computer?

Write to us with the recently installed update on the computer for further assistance. To check the recently installed update, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Update & Security and click on Advanced Options
      from the window.
    • Click on View your updates history and check the latest successfully installed update.

Refer to the article Find lost files after the update to
    Windows 10
    and check if it helps.

Note: Do not perform the steps given under
    Reenable a Windows 7 Administrator account from the above article.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Important file lost in update, how do I get it back?

Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Important file lost in update, how do I get it back?

1. Important file lost in update, how do I get it back? - Similar Threads - Important file lost

2. I lost very important files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost very important files: Hello there!I need help regarding a issue. My Microsoft account was hacked and access to everything in my PC was granted to whoever it was. I managed to get hold of my account after 3 days and could retrieve it after a week later. When I got my account back I decided to...
  3. I lost very important files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost very important files: Hello there!I need help regarding a issue. My Microsoft account was hacked and access to everything in my PC was granted to whoever it was. I managed to get hold of my account after 3 days and could retrieve it after a week later. When I got my account back I decided to...
  4. How do I get my lost whiteboards back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my lost whiteboards back?: Recently I opened up my microsoft whiteboard app to find all of my whiteboards missing. I'm using the same account and I didn't do anything that would have caused them to be deleted. How can I get these back. I have 2 weeks worth of notes lost because they were randomly...
  5. How do I get my lost whiteboards back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my lost whiteboards back?: Recently I opened up my microsoft whiteboard app to find all of my whiteboards missing. I'm using the same account and I didn't do anything that would have caused them to be deleted. How can I get these back. I have 2 weeks worth of notes lost because they were randomly...
  6. How do I get the old file back?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get the old file back?: At first I didn't think I'd have a reason to need the old version of Rick428. But yesterday when I found the file I wanted to save and called it Rick428, I was asked do I want to replace it. Yes, I did. When I saw Rick428 twice in my list of downloads I realized I could...
  7. Laptop lost my files - How do I get my stuff back?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop lost my files - How do I get my stuff back?: Hi, My laptop has just reset itself - It said that the user file couldn't be found so I re-entered my password and when the home screen cane up, my laptop had lost all my photos & files. How do I get my stuff back? I know that I've asked this question months ago, and...
  8. I lost the curser...how do I get it back?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I lost the curser...how do I get it back?: My curser froze and i turned my computer off. When i turned it back on there was no curser. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-the-curserhow-do-i-get-it-back/3efc524f-1829-44ce-88b2-86b27ff2c2b5
  9. Windows Update corrupted laptop - how do I get back lost files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update corrupted laptop - how do I get back lost files?: Hi On 15 May 2020, a Windows Update was run automatically on a Win 10 laptop. Laptop has solid internet security software and Norton PE only found a screwed-up registry. But: Edge would only give a grey screen then stop, Win 10 search would not work, all Microsoft Office...
  10. Lost built-in audio. How do I get it back?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost built-in audio. How do I get it back?: I am running Windows 10 build 10586. I was trying to get WebEx to work with an external webcam and an external microphone this afternoon and, in the process of trying to get the audio working, I disabled (*just* disabled) the built-in Realtek audio. That didn't solve my...