Windows 10: Important files overwritten by older versions on OneDrive

Discus and support Important files overwritten by older versions on OneDrive in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, I keep track of some finances on an Excel spreadsheet. I save it locally in the OneDrive folder. So everything is supposed get synced with my... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Cosmo13, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Cosmo13 Win User

Important files overwritten by older versions on OneDrive

Hello,

I keep track of some finances on an Excel spreadsheet. I save it locally in the OneDrive folder. So everything is supposed get synced with my OneDrive storage in the cloud. I did this for the last 4 to 5 years.
    Yesterday I had to switch my computer to a new one. I checked my files in the OneDrive folder, they were all synced in the cloud, online was everything perfect.

I started the new computer, fresh installed everything, and connected to my OneDrive account.

The problem is that all my files were overwritten by versions of those files from months ago both online and in local OneDrive folder.

Everything I did in June/July/August is gone and can't find it anywhere. All my files look like the last time I edited them was in June.

This is wrong in so many ways as there is no way I haven't saved that file within the last four days as I've been constantly on that file and made numerous updates for the past months.

I use the basic version of OneDrive, the free one.

Windows 10 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450)

:)

Cosmo13, Aug 13, 2020
  2. Cosmo13 Win User

Hello,

I keep track of some finances on an Excel spreadsheet. I save it locally in the OneDrive folder. So everything is supposed get synced with my OneDrive storage in the cloud. I did this for the last 4 to 5 years.
    Yesterday I had to switch my computer to a new one. I checked my files in the OneDrive folder, they were all synced in the cloud, online was everything perfect.

I started the new computer, fresh installed everything, and connected to my OneDrive account.

The problem is that all my files were overwritten by versions of those files from months ago both online and in local OneDrive folder.

Everything I did in June/July/August is gone and can't find it anywhere. All my files look like the last time I edited them was in June.

This is wrong in so many ways as there is no way I haven't saved that file within the last four days as I've been constantly on that file and made numerous updates for the past months.

I use the basic version of OneDrive, the free one.

Windows 10 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450)

Cosmo13, Sep 5, 2020
  3. Cosmo13 Win User

Yeah.. After checking it on Microsoft answers, apparently it's a known issue with OneDrive. Lots of people complain that they've had their files replaced with older versions and lost all of their data and work.

Just Great.

Cosmo13, Sep 5, 2020
  4. Farvatten Win User

I've seen this happen after restoring a Macrium Image.

It sees the older image files as the new master copy.

When is Microsoft going to fix OneDrive when a computer image is restored?

For this reason I only use Onedrive for passive long term storage.

Not sure if this applies in this case but for others coming here to this post title it's important to know.

Farvatten, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Important files overwritten by older versions on OneDrive - Similar Threads - Important files overwritten

2. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.: Hi,I have a coding file I was working on that is saved to my school's OneDrive account/computer. In order to work on it at home, I synced my school OneDrive account with my home computer.After doing so, an older version of that file appeared, even though I worked on and saved...
  3. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.: Hi,I have a coding file I was working on that is saved to my school's OneDrive account/computer. In order to work on it at home, I synced my school OneDrive account with my home computer.After doing so, an older version of that file appeared, even though I worked on and saved...
  4. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File replaced with a older version on Onedrive: I had a spreadsheet called carton list on Onedrive and on the 22nd of march it got replace with a older version of the spreadsheet. How can I recover the newer copy. I have no backups....
  6. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

File replaced with a older version on Onedrive: I had a spreadsheet called carton list on Onedrive and on the 22nd of march it got replace with a older version of the spreadsheet. How can I recover the newer copy. I have no backups....
  7. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Overwritten file

Overwritten file: I have recently used the "Do you want to replace the file in this destination" feature to replace a file. Is there any way to recover this file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overwritten-file/4ce9af1f-2faa-408e-b7bc-cd98065bfacb
  9. Unsynced files overwritten by old OneDrive versions

Unsynced files overwritten by old OneDrive versions: Hi, I was working on a report which was not syncing to OneDrive as I had run out of storage. Unfortunately, I got confused by the options displayed at the top and clicked on "Discard changes" thinking that it would remove the file from OneDrive. It replaced the version I...
  10. File Overwritten

File Overwritten: i orginally had a the documents written on my laptop storage then i back up on a USB then edit the word doc on the usb (Removable Disk) instead then i try to replace all the folder stored in the USB to Laptop storage then i loose my newest documents, updated...