Windows 10: Important Information About Scam Emails

Discus and support Important Information About Scam Emails in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is pretty important, so please just read this and be aware: Rule #1: ALWAYS use a computer that has an onscreen mouse (a desktop computer or a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pepanee, Sep 27, 2019.

1. pepanee Win User

Important Information About Scam Emails

This is pretty important, so please just read this and be aware:

Rule #1:
    ALWAYS use a computer that has an onscreen mouse (a desktop computer or a laptop computer) to check your emails that are very important, such as emails from your: bank account, work emails, medical/hospital emails, school emails, etc.
    The reason why you should use a computer with an onscreen mouse is that if you get an email which happens to be from your bank account, and it states you can click a link, then you can hover the mouse over the link, and look at the bottom of your browser to what that link will send you to. You can see if it's a phishing scam or not by looking at the website link shown. (If you go to your Junk Email folder, and hover the mouse over the links in those emails (do NOT click the links), you would see the website as some gibberish site.)

So lately, apparently, my Hotmail account has been putting semi-important emails in my Junk folder, even after I classify those emails as non-Junk. (example: I get an email from 24 Hour Fitness, I mark it as Safe. The next day, I get another email from 24 Hour Fitness, and it still ends up in the Junk folder). I hope Microsoft fixes this non-sense soon, because it's annoying to scroll through my Junk emails daily (about 30-40 emails are there daily) to check if any important/semi-important emails end up there.

Anyways. So I run across an email from Wells Fargo in my Junk Email folder (I have a Wells Fargo bank account). Because of the paragraph above, I automatically assumed that Hotmail screwed up, and put this important email in my junk folder. I click the email, to see what it says, and I said this email looks real.
    ...BUT YOU MUST HAVE A KEEN EYE!

The email IS a phishing scam!
    I want you to try the challenge!
    Just by visually looking at this email, how can you tell that it's fake? Just give it a try before reading what I wrote under the picture *Smile

Important Information About Scam Emails [​IMG]

(Wow, from all the years of me going through my Junk Email folder to find anything useful in there, this email is one of the most WELL designed ones... (excluding the different font sizes inside the email, and what site the link would take me to)

SPOILER ALERT: So here's why you need a keen eye!
    ALWAYS look at from where the email came from:

L: [email protected]

...wellsfargo_connect is valid, since I remember that from other valid Wells Fargo emails.....

..... but look at what's written after the @ symbol...

.... welsfargo.com ......

........... THERE'S ONLY ONE L !!!!!!

There's supposed to be TWO!!! weLLsfargo.com, not weLsfargo.com

This fake email...................... it's slightly smart.

:)

pepanee, Sep 27, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, Sep 27, 2019
  3. yogurt_21 Win User
    8800GT scam?

ummm that dont seem right

yeah its a scam your bidding on the right to buy it wholsale. lol meaning you'll pay 50$ for teh right to pay 260$ for the item, nice one.

which goes to show you, always read the whole thing, not just the pretty pictures and specs. lol

yogurt_21, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Important Information About Scam Emails

email scam?

Hi Oldman772

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

It is indeed a scam.

Please ignore these scam calls/emails and report them. Microsoft doesn't cold call or email users or ask for money for technical support.

Its a scam, Microsoft does not call anybody to activate Windows 10:

2018 has turned out to be a year when fake scare sites have appeared all over the Internet with fake ads pretending to Microsoft support and insisting you call them. You need to watch out for these sites. They look like a genuine Microsoft website but they
    are not.

Warning: There are "Tech Support Scams" pretending to be Windows 10 Support and Activation Technologies. Please be vigilant. Microsoft never calls or emails users to inform them their license is expiring, accounts will be closed or they need access to sensitive
    information such as passwords or banking information. Neither should you get an email. Learn more in the following article:

PSA: Beware of Windows 10 Activation Tech Support Scams

http://www.groovypost.com/news/beware-of-window...

Report it:

Scam

Tech support scams - Windows Defender Security ... - Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/su...

Protect yourself from tech support scams - Microsoft Support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/401340...

If you believe sensitive information such as bank passwords might have been compromised, go to another computer and change it immediately. Contact your bank to let them know of any suspicious activities.

Change your other passwords for services such as emails and other important web sites you visit.

Have a notepad near by so you can write down the new passwords.

Enable two factor authentication on your Microsoft Account:

How To Enable Microsoft Two Factor Authentication - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-microso...

Let friends and family know on social media, they should not accept any request begging for money or disclose sensitive information, since someone might be pretending to be you.

Andre for Directly, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Important Information About Scam Emails

1. Important Information About Scam Emails - Similar Threads - Important Information Scam

2. Scam emails

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scam emails: I received an email from this address id it real?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** help is good https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scam-emails/143b0392-bb05-42bd-accc-6d6e6586a664
  3. Scam Email??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scam Email??: I revived this email however I DID Not Renew or Sign Up for Anything. I'm thinking it is a Scam. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scam-email/7586457e-1f75-46d0-991a-33466a9cc526
  4. Scam email

Scam email: On Wed., 1 Jul. 2020 at 12:38 p.m., Auto-Renewal <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> wrote: Hi, Your subscription for Windows Defender has been successfully renewed and updated. PRODUCT INFORMATION Product Name Windows Defender Firewall Order Date...
  5. Be Careful about an xbox Scam email

Be Careful about an xbox Scam email: For the last couple of years, people have been creating fake microsoft Xbox emails that can hack peoples account. (IT CANT) it just tryes to hack YOUR microsoft account.. They tell you to give them your email and password. So, please dont trust any of these fake emails. :)...
  6. Scam email

Scam email: Hello, I keep getting the email below, which I know is a scam and it said your password is and said wha my password was but not the full passworj as th one it said was not right Everything on the web says that it is a scam and Thank you for your help....
  7. email scam?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    email scam?: I've been receiving emails stating my Windows10 will expire soon. Is this a legit email? Also is there a phone number for support? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-scam/fd20a1ff-bf69-4278-8089-b23decf709dd
  8. email scam

email scam: I received an email saying my Windows License Key got expired and has been infected with a spyware. Pretty sure this is a scam. Do you want me to forward the email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-scam/3568f12c-39d7-4002-b6d4-348d0db94140"
  9. Scam email?

Scam email?: I received the following unsolicited email. Is this a scam/phishing? Microsoft account password reset Inbox x [ATTACH] Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> Nov 19, 2018, 4:28 PM (7 days ago) [IMG] [IMG] to me [IMG] Microsoft account...
  10. Important information about HERE apps on Windows Phone

in Windows 10 News
    Important information about HERE apps on Windows Phone: We’ve been developing mobile maps applications for about 10 years, since the first smartphones came with GPS. As the market evolves, we keep in step by introducing our apps for new operating systems while stopping support for others.Although the essence of the HERE apps lives...