Windows 10: Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

Discus and support Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NiceAndShy, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

Hi all,

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible for an .MP4 file to be infected with a virus?

I've always thought .MP4 files and other video formats were 100% safe, but is this still the case in 2020?

I'd appreciate the input from the computing experts here.

Thank you.

EDIT:
    I've been feeling a lot of paranoia around this question so any help would be great!

:)

NiceAndShy, Apr 22, 2020

2. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

Hi all,

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible for an .MP4 file to be infected with a virus?

I've always thought .MP4 files and other video formats were 100% safe, but is this still the case in 2020?

I'd appreciate the input from the computing experts here.

Thank you.

EDIT:
    I've been feeling a lot of paranoia around this question so any help would be great!

NiceAndShy, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Compumind Win User
    Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

Hi there!

MP4 video files can be infected.

If your video binds to a virus, you are bound to see the extension or you can check in properties to find out its video format.

Some viruses are in fake video files. When you attempt to play videos in your Windows Media Player, for example, the device will search for the codec.
    Instead, of using the right codec, the video redirects it to the virus.

Therefore, Windows would use the virus as codec, leading to infection of your MP4 video files.

Each video file needs to be first scanned by an AV and possibly MBAM (Malwarebytes free) if you suspect that it might be compromised.

FWIW *Think

Compumind, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Samuria Win User

It's not an editable file so no it can't contain a virus you çould get a file virus.exe renamed as an MP4 so it would run if you clicked on it

Samuria, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected? - Similar Threads - Important Question Spyware

2. Infected file by a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infected file by a virus: Hey guys. I have a problem and my problem is that, my laptop had a virus and i was able to remove it but my files were infected and i can't open them like videos and photos etc. I wanna know if is there anyway to fix them, because i really need them and the virus added an...
  3. Infected file by a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infected file by a virus: Hey guys. I have a problem and my problem is that, my laptop had a virus and i was able to remove it but my files were infected and i can't open them like videos and photos etc. I wanna know if is there anyway to fix them, because i really need them and the virus added an...
  4. Infected file by a virus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Suspect infection with Spyware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspect infection with Spyware: I switched to Windows 11 and upon startup recieved a SYSTEM warning that there was an active screen reader with no Unknown file location. Upon entering my Event Viewer I immediatly noticed activity and shared files, photos, password's and so on had taken place. I researched...
  6. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

in Windows 10 Support
    Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?: Hi all, Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible for an .MP4 file to be infected with a virus? I've always thought .MP4 files and other video formats were 100% safe, but is...
  7. Virus and spyware

Virus and spyware: Can malware be updated without the purchase of virus and spyware defender?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-spyware/02d9616b-3c0a-4a6b-a71b-08d546770048
  8. Question about Viruses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Viruses: Hello I’m worried that I have a Rat or a keylogger on my pc and i wanted to know if one of these or any sort of malware attach themselves to MP3 or Wav files cause I wanna back up my music and all that but I don’t know if these can infect those files or not. Google won’t give...
  9. Is my chrome browser infected with virus / spyware etc??

Is my chrome browser infected with virus / spyware etc??: Recently, for many sites where they require me to click on the box to confirm "I am not a robot", there is another box popping up requesting me to choose all the images of either "crosswalks", "bus" or "cars".... It's VERY TROUBLESOME. However, at the same time I use another...
  10. Is this a Virus or Spyware?

Is this a Virus or Spyware?: I tried Revo Uninstaller but it couldn't find Nox App Player, so I installed it again and used Revo to uninstall it but no results. Well, are you familiar with Regedit? Win+R+regedit.exe. Search for Nox_unload.exe + nox + nox player. Click F3 each time to reach the end of...