Windows 10: Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine

Discus and support Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Macrium is Awesome. I cloned my Windows 7 Disk in 49 minutes. The last time I did that it took a couple of hours and had to be an external destination... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine

Macrium is Awesome. I cloned my Windows 7 Disk in 49 minutes. The last time I did that it took a couple of hours and had to be an external destination drive.*Thumbs Thanks again Cliff !

2. Cliff S New Member

You are welcome Gary*Smile. Just remember to use it before any major changes or Windows updates(except Defenders of course), and every thing will be good.

Cliff S, Apr 26, 2015
  3. linw Win User
    What version, 5 or 6? Been using Macrium paid ver for a long time now - pity their price to go to ver 6 is on the steep side. Still cheap if you need its restore, though!!

4. badrobot Win User

Macrium, MiniTool Partition Wizard and SuperAntiSpyware are some of the standard 3rd party programs I install in my PCs.

badrobot, Apr 26, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    Free version is quite enough for home use. It's best to use the latest one though, with all those UEFI thingies etc. There are updates almost every month.

CountMike, Apr 28, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Ver 6.0 build 567 $69.95. I got a single license for $55 and change cause I found one of those Macrium Promo Codes 20% off lying around "out there". It has saved my butt over and over. Can't imagine testing win10 without that tool! Got paid version cause I like the PE environment, very handy.

f14tomcat, Apr 28, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    You don't actually need a paid version to have the pre-installlation environment. You just have to download the WAIK component and create the USB bootable rescue media in Macrium.
    I have both 32 and 64 bit using Free Macrium version. But of course paid version have more features. *Smile

badrobot, Apr 28, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

There is really no need for a paid imaging program. Between free Macrium, free AOMEI Backupper, Windows imaging and Wbadmin imaging you have all the bells and whistles you may need.

I have used all of those and they all work. With the Windows options you don't want to muck around with the images (move or rename them). The advantage of those is that you do not need a separate recovery medium and they are very simple to use.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    By the PE environment, I was referring to the boot option without need for DVD. I like the convenience.

f14tomcat, Apr 28, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    Paid for Macrium got me incrementals, file backup and disk management.

Been looking at aomei Backupper and EaseUS ToDo as well. Very comprehensive features for the price (free!).

But have learned to trust Macrium over the years.

11. Cliff S New Member
    The only thing is, one needs to remember to use it before Windows patches, driver updates, major software changes, and "trying" something out in the registry or else->*Eek.

Cliff S, Apr 29, 2015
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    Fair comment. You should always use the programs you trust. But I always make full images. I do not trust the incrementals. They can be too easily corrupted and are difficult to manage.

In my little systems where the C partition is 20GB max, I use Wbadmin. That is a simple command and I can recover with the Windows recovery environment (press Shift and do a Restart). No recovery disc needed nor do I have to install a program in my skimpy C partition..

13. badrobot Win User

I see. Mine is on USB which can be used on any PC.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine - Similar Threads - Important Step Preparing

2. Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step: so basically ive built my new PC and plugged in my usb to install windows, i go through all the steps perfectly fine and once it gets to the second step of installation, “Getting files ready for installation” it’ll go up to about 20% and freeze, i can’t move my mouse or...
  3. Preparing a Win10 integration and customization with NTLite

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing a Win10 integration and customization with NTLite: Hello, As I wrote here I broke my laptop. I finally bought a new HP Probook 450 G7 laptop and will follow your advice by performing a fresh install. 2 years ago I used NTLite (paidlicense) to prepare Win10 Pro for the old Asus. Today, I downloaded from HP Assistance Win10...
  4. Win10 and virtual machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 and virtual machines: Is windows 10 home able to run virtual machines like “vm ware player” or do i need the pro version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-and-virtual-machines/2508a1ce-c3aa-4ad1-89cd-4e9ec25144be
  5. How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?: We have a home LAN. Two of the machines are my 'main' machines. One in the house. One in the shed. It'd be nice if I could work from either one and have access to the same apps, the same data. What's the paradigm these days for doing that? 126629
  6. How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?: We have a home LAN. Two of the machines are my 'main' machines. One in the house. One in the shed. It'd be nice if I could work from either one and have access to the same apps, the same data. What's the paradigm these days for doing that? 126629
  7. Problem with main functions of win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with main functions of win10: I have an issue with my win10. Start Menu, Settings window, notifications stopped working. At all. I can't open anything of it. When I press "Start" button - happens nothing. When I press Win+I - happens nothing. Even when I'm trying to open settings with command...
  8. import of pictures on Win 10 machine

in Windows 10 Support
    import of pictures on Win 10 machine: Start, right click, Control Panel, Hardware and Devices: my camera (Nikon D7000) comes up. Import pictures fails. The error message says: 'no pictures or videos were found on this device'. Did the same thing on my Windows 7 machine (good thing its not yet upgraded). It...
  9. Use Win10 as main OS ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Use Win10 as main OS ??: Hello. I know Microsoft does not recommend using windows 10 as the main OS, but I have to change my mainboard and CPU next weekend, and therefor I want to do a clean install. But do I install Windows 8.1again? Or is it safe to take the chance and use Windows 10 as Main OS...
  10. The CLOUD Act is an important step forward, but more steps needed

in Windows 10 News
    The CLOUD Act is an important step forward, but more steps needed: On Feb. 27, we went to the U.S Supreme Court to argue a case that has become known as the “Microsoft warrant case.” As we arrived at court that morning, we thought it was important to repeat a point we’ve been making since we first filed our legal challenge more than four...