Windows 10: Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail

Discus and support Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I upgraded to 10 on 8/3. Had no problems. Am I too premature to complain? If not, Windows 10 Mail needs work. First, I fixed the problem with... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by FentonMichigan, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail

I upgraded to 10 on 8/3. Had no problems.
    Am I too premature to complain?
    If not, Windows 10 Mail needs work.
    First, I fixed the problem with recognizing gmail. (AVG firewall.)
    Now I would like to import my old folders from EClient and give Mail a fighting chance to be my Mail of choice.
    I cannot find a way to do that task.
    Help????

:)

FentonMichigan, Aug 3, 2015

2. Importing WLM folders into Windows 10 mail

DS

The mail app is horrible.

If you are ONLY using windows live mail (any version) for email and not calendar & contacts you can configure it to work using IMAP. If you do need to sync calendar & contacts ..

There is a great replacement for Windows live mail that is free for personal use (up to 2 accounts) that DOES work with the new outlook mail format called emclient. There is also a paid version. You can get either here

eM Client

It works with Exchange, POP, IMAP, and looks similar to Windows live mail. Frankly it is the first replacement I have seen that actually works. I have switched.

They have their own support forums, a decent product, and seem to be the only replacement for WLM that has the look and feel of it.

You can import all your windows live mail into emclient easily by doing a file>import>windows live mail. This will import your current WLM data into emclient

Out of an abundance of caution I would make a copy of the entire WLM folder and save it to a safe location.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 3, 2015
  3. dsafety Win User
    Importing WLM folders into Windows 10 mail

Thanks for your quick reply but I am not sure that this will work for me. I have close to fifty folders that store messages based on the subject, (work, travel, family, etc.). Many of these folders have sub-folders. Even if I could re-create the folder structure
    in Hotmail or Outlook, how would I get all the content into these folders?

I read in a recent post that Windows 10 Mail now has the ability to add new folders from within the app. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any instructions as to how to do this. Can you help.

Assuming that I am able to somehow add all of my storage folders to Windows 10 Mail, I will still have the problem of transferring the messages stored in my WLM store folder into the appropriate folders in Windows 10 Mail.

The only reason that this issue exists for me is the pending change in Hotmail or Outlook will prevent me from viewing messages from these accounts in WLM. Maybe I should just stop using my Hotmail and Outlook accounts. The thought of notifying everyone
    to stop sending mail to these addresses, not to mention changing email reference on my web site, business stationary, etc is a little upsetting. This is very frustrating.

dsafety, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail

4 months later and no response to this? I'm in the same boat, would love to move over to Windows Mail from Windows Live Mail, but not being able to import my local folders is a dealbreaker.

Unfortunately, Microsoft just notified me via email that I needed to update Windows Live Mail in order for it to continue to function, and the update causes Windows Live Mail to crash without fail within 10 seconds of opening it. Good times.

afleischer, Dec 11, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  6. As far as I can tell, there is no "Windows Live Mail" option in Programs and Features, only "Windows Live Essentials 2012". I can select that and "repair all programs". I did this, and re-applied the update, but to no avail. WLM still crashes within 10 seconds of opening unfortunately.

afleischer, Dec 11, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Sorry to hear that.

When I download the update and saw that I had to choose either to Repair or to Remove WLM, I aborted.
    I don't care what MS said. I'll NEVER use the Mail app.
    WLM is not the only program to send and receive emails.

davidhk, Dec 11, 2015
  8. Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail

I am using a mail program called "eM Client" and it performs beautifully! I easily imported my old folders and addresses and have had ZERO problems with it! Give it a try!!

FentonMichigan, Dec 11, 2015
  9. Am using Windows 10 and am using Windows Live Mail 2012 application for multiple email accounts. Have a host of storage folders. Today I received the 'you need to install the Windows Live Mail 2012 update to continue using it'. Have installed the update and all is working fine (no crashes). No clue if I am to be able to continue using WLM but until Windows or anyone else can clearly and concisely explain how to import all my storage folders and their contents into Windows 10 email application, am staying put. WLM does everything I want it to and so far Windows 10 email does NOT. Thoughts?

lightspout, Dec 11, 2015
  10. gpstoloff Win User
    This is the issue: MS is performing an upgrade in waves of Outlook.com accounts. Unfortunately, they jumped too soon to send out this message, because you shouldn't patch WLM until your account is upgraded -- or it will crash during calendar synch!

Here's the word (courtesy of Ron Sommer MVP):

Login to your outlook.com account using a browser. Does it say Outlook.com or Outlook Mail (Preview)?

KB3093594 should only be installed if you have an outlook.com account that has been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview).

If you have more than one outlook.com account, you will have to decide if you want the accounts that have not been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) to work or do you want the accounts that have been upgraded to work.

No Outlook Mail (Preview) accounts - do not install KB3093594.

An account has upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) - install KB3093594.

gpstoloff, Dec 11, 2015
  11. Not prepared to go play 'find the needle in the haystack' with Microsoft. They're either competent at customer communications or they're not. Have ditched the whole thing and gone with a competitor's email application, which was easy to install, easy to populate with my storage folders and is as easy to use as WLM. Bye bye Microsoft email applications...

lightspout, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail

1. Importing folders into Windows 10 Mail - Similar Threads - Importing folders Mail

2. Copying Windows Live Mail Folders and Emails to import into Windows 10 Mail App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying Windows Live Mail Folders and Emails to import into Windows 10 Mail App: I have an old Windows 7 computer that uses Windows Live Mail. My employer bought a new computer with Windows 10, which doesn't have Windows Live Mail. How do I get my old emails that are saved in folders on my computer onto the new computer.Thanks,Adam...
  3. Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10: I have my contacts from Live Mail in a cvs file...how do I import them into my new computer with Mail on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-contacts-from-live-mail-to-mail-on-windows/2edaa469-79ac-4cf7-84d8-99d65a999e77
  4. Import mailboxes and contacts to windows 10 mail

Import mailboxes and contacts to windows 10 mail: Can I import my folders .fol and/or mailboxes mbx from Eudora 7 to windows10 Mail. Also contacts nnt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-mailboxes-and-contacts-to-windows-10-mail/cebd8601-22f3-47e0-bb92-dc90e56860bd
  5. Is there a way to Import G-Mail accounts into Windows 10 Mail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to Import G-Mail accounts into Windows 10 Mail?: Hello: I have two different G-mail Accounts and would like to import into Windows Mail. Because, when I clicked 'Add account ' and then clicked an icon of 'G-mail' of Windows Mail, I need to create a new G-mail account which I do NOT prefer. I, rather keep the exact same...
  6. Importing Live Mail contacts to the Windows-10 New Mail People folder

Importing Live Mail contacts to the Windows-10 New Mail People folder: I just set up a new PC, and cannot set up Windows Live Mail, as it is no longer supported. I tried to import contacts into the Windows-10 People folder, but it cannot find my Live Mail account. I find no 'help' established for this. Seems Windows-10 mail is geared for mobile...
  7. How to import contacts into Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to import contacts into Windows 10 Mail: How do we import contacts into Windows 10 Mail, this seems to be an unanswered problem effecting many people. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-import-contacts-into-windows-10-mail/a2f9786c-c706-4817-956c-86fa45c1f8d6
  8. Import Apple Mail with folders on Mac to Mail for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Import Apple Mail with folders on Mac to Mail for Windows 10: My wife has previously used a Mac and used their standard Mail program for handling her email (she has a *** Email address is removed for privacy *** email address). On the Mac she has also created folders to file her mail. How can I migrate mail that she has received and is...
  9. Importing Windows Live Storage folders into Win 10 Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Importing Windows Live Storage folders into Win 10 Mail: How do I import long-term storage files (with lots of really, really important emails I wish to save) from Windows Live 2012 to the new Windows 10 email program? Can't find any how-to help anywhere so far. Thanks! 32418
  10. Import Windows Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Import Windows Mail: 1--Can Windows Mail (Vista/*.eml) be imported to Windows 10 Mail client? 2--Also while setting up Windows 10 Mail, when I Delete last Email, Mail closes. Any help/suggestions? Thanks, Bill 49748

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 mail importing live mail folders

2. importing wlm folders into windows mail 10