Windows 10: Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People

Discus and support Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I used to be able to export "Contacts" from my Gmail account and import them into Outlook "People" so I could keep my contacts synced between... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by busaboyz, Oct 4, 2019.

1. busaboyz Win User

Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People

I used to be able to export "Contacts" from my Gmail account and import them into Outlook "People" so I could keep my contacts synced between platforms. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for many months. I contacted Microsoft and despite numerous online and emails back and forth with the Indian Help guy, nothing ever worked. It was odd he never wanted to see my CSV files.

Gmail gives Google CSV and Outlook CSV export options. The Outlook CSV file gives a "Something went wrong.. the format isn't correct...." error when I try to import it into "People". The Google CSV imports but most of the data is stuffed into a "Notes" field. Looking at the two files in a spreadsheet, I see nothing to justify why Outlook "People" is doing what it does.

I can import the Gmail CSV into my other on-line email services without major issues. Something Gmail or Microsoft did screwed up something I have been doing for 10 years.

:)

busaboyz, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Munki Win User

GUIDE:How to transfer contacts from Microsoft Outlook to Gmail

I'm sitting here in the office, its the end of the year in the school system, and several employees transferring to alternative counties. With this it brings loads of transferring contacts to take with them from their company phone. Well, this one in particular sparked a guide idea. So here it is, How to transfer Outlook contacts to your Gmail account.

Step 1: Sign in to your outlook account.
    step 2 In the top left hand corner click File > Import/Export > Export to file > Browse to desired place to save your file > export. Be sure you export the file as .csv (comma separated values)
    Step 3 Log into your Gmail account
    Step 4 Select 'Contacts' In the subsection you will see a 'Import' button on the right-hand side. Click it.
    Step 5 Browse to the location where you saved it > Open it > Click Import.

I would have provided pictures, but I use neither Outlook or Gmail. Hope someone somewhere gets some use from this. *Toast :toast:

=Munki=

Munki, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Steve C Win User
    Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder

Exporting contacts from outlook.com doesn't work for me in Chrome but does work in Edge / IE11.

Steve C, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People

People Contacts

Hi nolen

While I don't know your exact set up I'm going to suggest that some of your contacts within Windows Live mail are stored locally and are not within your Web account. (outlook.com, Hotmail, gmail).

I've seen some craziness when importing and I'm not sure where you are doing importing. I would import using you Web account through browser. Then depending on supplier for Outlook.com (includes Hotmail, MSN, Live) click on Manage, then cleanup contacts. In gmail open Contacts and it should immediately prompt you to deal with duplicates. I use gmail when I have a client with really messy address books located every where. Haven't used MS's cleanup contacts in a while

I would also make backups of all address books just in case. (Exports)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People

1. Importing Gmail Contacts to Outlook (Hotmail) People - Similar Threads - Importing Gmail Contacts

2. how to export contacts as in PEOPLE used by MAIL to allow import into outlook?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to export contacts as in PEOPLE used by MAIL to allow import into outlook?: HOW TO EXPORT CONTACTS as in PEOPLE used by MAIL/ So I canm use the new outlook. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-export-contacts-as-in-people-used-by-mail/e4e5ad93-9693-4258-8a99-09534566ad0b
  3. Outlook Contacts vs. People Contacts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook Contacts vs. People Contacts: Are the contacts in the People Pane of Outlook, the same as the contacts in the People program?I am really confused. Not sure if they both are part of the same program, or something separate from one another. And if they are separate, can sync together?...
  4. Outlook Contacts vs. People Contacts

Outlook Contacts vs. People Contacts: Are the contacts in the People Pane of Outlook, the same as the contacts in the People program?I am really confused. Not sure if they both are part of the same program, or something separate from one another. And if they are separate, can sync together?...
  5. Importing contacts into People in Windows 11

Importing contacts into People in Windows 11: New laptop with Windows 11 installed and updated. Email works OK but I cannot import my old contacts ,csv file into the People section of Mail. Instructions on windows help shows for Windows 10, and People in 11 does not show importing files the same as the instructions....
  6. Importing from GMail to My People

in Windows 10 Customization
    Importing from GMail to My People: Is there any way to import email contacts from GMail to My People? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-from-gmail-to-my-people/bbb008c6-d72e-47b8-861e-32e902ad7f2d
  7. Importing contacts to People app

Importing contacts to People app: Why isn't there a simple way to import .csv or .vcf files into the Windows 10 People app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/importing-contacts-to-people-app/0d68f2a1-021b-436f-a663-d6cfd36ed24a
  8. Importing Contacts to Windows 10 People

in Browsers and Email
    Importing Contacts to Windows 10 People: I've sent my contacts from Outlook to a .csv file. I cannot find a way to import that file into Windows 10 People app. I've been searching and searching online, and the only instructions I've found is to link my Outlook to People, and even that doesn't work. When I've...
  9. Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder: I exported Windows Live Contacts from Windows 7 computer and imported them into Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. The contacts appear in Outlook People and in Address Book. The Contacts folder in C: >Users>Username>Contacts is empty. I am the only user. Should the contacts...
  10. How to Import W10 Contacts (aka 'People') into Outlook 2016 Pro

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to Import W10 Contacts (aka 'People') into Outlook 2016 Pro: Installed Outlook 2016 Preview on W7 with no problems. Address Book showed Contacts. Updated W7 to W10. All contacts now show in People app, but Outlook no longer sees those contacts. How can I migrate/export-import the W10 People contacts into Outlook 2016? 11336