Windows 10: Importing Outlook Express E-mail

Discus and support Importing Outlook Express E-mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My parents Windows 7 laptop fried recently, I got them a new HP 350 G2 which came with Win8.1 and i upgraded to 10. My father used to use outlook... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Carsomyr, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Carsomyr Win User

Importing Outlook Express E-mail

My parents Windows 7 laptop fried recently, I got them a new HP 350 G2 which came with Win8.1 and i upgraded to 10. My father used to use outlook express with an email through his ISP, and the only way I see to import that email into a new account involves being on the computer using outlook express and using the migration tool. Obviously I can't do that since that computer is toast (the motherboard fried), so I need suggestions on how to do this for them asap!

:)

Carsomyr, Sep 17, 2015

2. Active sync 4.5 compatible with data from older versions of Active sync? (and older versions of Windows Mobile).

You can import an Outlook Express database into Windows Mail. See this: Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express.

You can then export Windows Mail directly into Outlook. See this: How to export e-mail messages from Windows Mail & Outlook Express into Outlook.

------------------------------

If a reply helps, please vote it as helpful. If a reply solves the issue, please mark it as an answer.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Sep 17, 2015
  3. Problems with outlook mail

> Imported from outlook express to outlook mail

When you say "Outlook mail", are you referring to Windows 10 Mail? Describe i detail exactly how you imported. Outlook Express ran only on Windows XP or earlier.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Sep 17, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

What I have done in the past is to put the HDD in a USB Box then search it for *.dbx files and save to another location for safety. I also get the *.wab file that is the Windows Address Book. Haven't tried Win10's Contacts yet for importing that .wab file. Some E-Mail Clients can import the messages from the .dbx files.

I have also installed OE Classic, worked on Win8.1 and the Tech Preview of Win10, looks quite a bit like Outlook Express. Since [hate to say it] older folks are involved that may be a way to go.
    OE Classic - Easy to use Outlook Express replacement

Berton, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Carsomyr Win User
    After digging through their hard drive looks like they had windows live mail installed...I recovered all related files of the hard drive, and I can download it for 10. But how to import all their old stuff into it? They didn't use an actual live email, they used one from our ISP.

Carsomyr, Sep 18, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    If they used Webmail/Online E-Mail such as Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook.com Yahoo E-Mail, everything should still be on that site. They'll just need their login [usually their E-Mail address] and Password.

Berton, Sep 18, 2015
  7. Carsomyr Win User
    I tried logging in with their email, I get nothing. I really don't know all I have is the files off the drive and he swears he used outlook express... all the files were in the windows mail/windows live mail folders though. I'm trying to piece this back together...

Carsomyr, Sep 18, 2015
  8. Carsomyr Win User

Idk if this might be relevant but in what would have been their folder users/{user}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsLiveMail I have an oeconfig.xml file and in the folder users/{user}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsMail I have an oeold.xml file.... idk if they imported this from xp to 7 or what... and neither do they Importing Outlook Express E-mail :p I have always had a hotmail so I've never had any problems like this before...

Carsomyr, Sep 18, 2015
  9. Carsomyr Win User
    Ok so i did some digging and took a bit from this guide here: How to recover Windows Mail data and settings from a corrupted user profile - The Winhelponline Blog I did the first 2 steps (I didn't think it was that simple!) to copy the messages/accounts/contacts, but ignored the rest since the guide was set up for creating a new account on the same computer. I installed windows live mail 2012 which i think is what they had, and everything is back to what it was. Thanks for the suggestions along the way!

Carsomyr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Importing Outlook Express E-mail - Similar Threads - Importing Outlook Express

2. Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365: I have a .wab file which I would like to import to Outlook 365. I have tried exporting .was to .csv but doesn't import correctly - just the names without the detail. Any help will be much appreciated....
  3. Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import outlook express contacts to outlook 365: I have a .wab file which I would like to import to Outlook 365. I have tried exporting .was to .csv but doesn't import correctly - just the names without the detail. Any help will be much appreciated....
  4. Importing saved Outlook Express (.dbx) mails to Thunderbird Email Client

Importing saved Outlook Express (.dbx) mails to Thunderbird Email Client: Win 7 Ultimate. Plenty of ram and 1TB sata hd. 1)...I have saved Outlook Express e-mails in dbx format (literally thousands) (multiple identities) and want to import them into Thunderbird (TB) V 102.8.0...... 2)...I looked in TB in the "import" section/selection and there...
  5. Import Outlook mail files into Mail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Import Outlook mail files into Mail.: Computer failed with MS 10 running Office 2010 and Outlook. Some of the Outlook mail files are backed up. I want to import the emails into my MS 10 Mail program. I see no means. Is it possible? Who knows how to do this? Thank you....
  6. Import Outlook mail files into Mail.

Import Outlook mail files into Mail.: Computer failed with MS 10 running Office 2010 and Outlook. Some of the Outlook mail files are backed up. I want to import the emails into my MS 10 Mail program. I see no means. Is it possible? Who knows how to do this? Thank you....
  7. Outlook e-mails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook e-mails: My e-mails will not download from AOL into my Outlook. Also, I am having an issue with attachments to my e-mails in Outlook. When I click on the attachment, I get the following error message: Your organization's polices are preventing us from completing this action for you....
  8. Outlook e-mails

Outlook e-mails: My e-mails will not download from AOL into my Outlook. Also, I am having an issue with attachments to my e-mails in Outlook. When I click on the attachment, I get the following error message: Your organization's polices are preventing us from completing this action for you....
  9. Import pst without connecting an e-mail account (Outlook 2019)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Import pst without connecting an e-mail account (Outlook 2019): I want to import the .pst file of my old PC (Win 7, Outlook 2010) on my new PC (Win 10, Outlook 2019). You used to be able to do that by simply copying the .pst file into the "AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" folder but it seems like it doesn't work like that anymore....
  10. Windows Live Mail corrupts emails when importing frm Outlook Express 6

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail corrupts emails when importing frm Outlook Express 6: I was using a Windows XP desktop and Outlook Express 6 exclusively for my emails. It was set up to do automatic nightly backups of all messages by copying the following folder: Code: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Users\dale\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\oeold.xml