Windows 10: Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings

Discus and support Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have been experiencing this issue for a while and I would really appreciate any help to solve this ! I have a laptop with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dennis Sbircea, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing this issue for a while and I would really appreciate any help to solve this !

I have a laptop with Windows 10 that I would like to connect to my TV via HDMI. I have done this before (like 3 years ago) with no issue whatsoever. However, this device is not being detected by my computer ! It is as if I didn't plug in anything at all !

Checking the display settings, I notice I am missing some options that I used to have. Specifically the screen settings (with the rectangles representing differents screens)

Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings ce7b67c6-14c3-4fdd-986a-e246e57d28e7?upload=true.png

So, to recap :

• My TV is not being recognised by my laptop while it is recognised by my other laptop.
    • Manual detection won't work.
    • Changing projection settings doesn't do anything.
    • The other laptop is running Windows 10 as well, it also has all of its display settings in place

Solutions I've tried already :

• Restarting computer, tv
    • Updating Windows, updating display and monitor drivers
    • Changing HMDI cables
    • Changing HDMI ports on TV

I'm at a loss. Nothing works. If anyone has any leads on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Dennis

:)

Dennis Sbircea, Aug 29, 2019

2. Plugging in second screen makes built-in display + second screen go blank

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please share these details.

1) Are you connecting the second monitor through the VGA or the HDMI port?

2) What is the make and model of the second monitor?

This issue could be caused due to some incorrect settings or due to an incompatible driver. I would suggest you to try these steps and check:

First, I would suggest you to check if you have configured the second screen correctly. It depends on which settings you have selected for the second monitor. You can extend, duplicate or choose only the second screen to be ON. If you have selected only the
    second screen to be ON and if the second screen is not compatible, then both the screen might appear black. Refer to this article to check if you have configured the second screen correctly:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the graphic card driver from the manufacturer website and check, if it works. Refer to the following steps to uninstall the graphic card driver from the Device Manager.

a. Click on Windows key + X and then, select Device Manager.

b. Locate and expand “Display Adaptor” in the Device Manager Window.

c. Right-click on the “Display Adaptor” and click on “uninstall" the graphic card driver.

d. Restart the computer and check, if it works.

Hope this answers your query. You can write back to us for further queries/issues related to windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Ariel Acu Win User
    Returning Windows to Second Screen

Hello Kate,

Let's try to isolate the issue and see what is preventing you from using Windows to second screen. Kindly provide us the following information:

• When you turned on your computer, does it give you an extended display for both monitor screen and your laptop?
    • Is your monitor screen already connected to your laptop before turning it on?
    • What cable are you using to connect your second monitor to your laptop?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Ariel Acu, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings

Laptop display does not detect itself

Hi,

In regards to your concern, since the second screen can't detect the display settings of your other laptop, we suggest that you perform the steps below and see if it helps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Under System, choose Display.
    • Under Multiple displays, click on Duplicate these displays and apply.
    Let us know the details so we could further help.

Acelyn Alc, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings

1. Impossible to connect second screen / missing display settings - Similar Threads - Impossible connect second

2. Wireless display won’t connect second screen after changing display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless display won’t connect second screen after changing display settings: I have a windows 11 laptop. I have been connecting it to my Amazon fire TV.I’ve been doing this for several weeks and have had no problems.There was a minor issue where the resolution on the TV would change depending on if I kept the laptop screen, active or not. So I tried...
  3. Wireless display won’t connect second screen after changing display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless display won’t connect second screen after changing display settings: I have a windows 11 laptop. I have been connecting it to my Amazon fire TV.I’ve been doing this for several weeks and have had no problems.There was a minor issue where the resolution on the TV would change depending on if I kept the laptop screen, active or not. So I tried...
  4. Changing display settings for "second screen only" mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing display settings for "second screen only" mode: When I use the "second screen only" mode I receive "out of range" error, which means I have to change screen resolution and refresh rate to match the display settings, but I can't use the display to see display settings and change it. Is there a way to change these settings...
  5. Changing display settings for "second screen only" mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing display settings for "second screen only" mode: When I use the "second screen only" mode I receive "out of range" error, which means I have to change screen resolution and refresh rate to match the display settings, but I can't use the display to see display settings and change it. Is there a way to change these settings...
  6. Second Display connected to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Display connected to PC: I would like to use a second display the TV attached to my PC to play movies.I DO NOT want to extend, duplicate or even see the second display as part of my desktop window.I want to play movies to it, maybe from a browser on demand, which would be ideal, maybe from a special...
  7. Display Settings Missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display Settings Missing: Hello,I have decided to apply stretched resolution on my games. However, every time I do this, some black lines appears on the monitor. I tried to use NVIDIA control panel to resolve this problem, but there is no settings for display.My GPU model : MX110I have tried to far...
  8. Missing display on second screen since 2 weeks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing display on second screen since 2 weeks: Hi, I work on laptop plus monitor asus vs247h. Since two weeks laptop cannot find screen via hdmi. I have chcked monitor with 3 laptops, all windows10 with full system update and every of them has the same issue. I have also tested 3 working hdmi cables and still nothing....
  9. Connecting to a second display.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting to a second display.: Bought an old computer monitor and would like to connect it to my lenovo. I have a vga-hdmi-usbc adapter situation going on, but my laptop won't recognize the monitor. I know the monitor works because I tried it on a friends computer and it worked. Is there anything I can...
  10. Display Settings for Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Display Settings for Second Monitor: Display setting is not working for my second monitor since installing Windows 10 on my PC. It does not allow me to set up second monitor, please help. Have check driver set up, still not working....